The Student Room Group

Learn direct access course

Hello! Does anyone have an expereinces with learn direct? Really wanting to do my access course and wont be able to get to college to do it for another 2/3 years so in that time i thought i could of completed it with learn direct before then. But really unsure. All opinions welcome! Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I am doing an access course with them now. The website is bright and easy to read and the work is interesting. However the support from tutors isn't great and you need to have a lot of motivation to get through it. If you can wait to go to collage then do that 1000% if you have no choice then this is as good as anything 🙂
Hi, I've just started the access to health course. I'm only on the first unit but it seems easy to navigate and the learndirect people were great when I had questions before signing up. Like you I don't have time for college at present so this is my only option. Which access course are you interested in? I'd say just go for it, if it's something you really want to do.
Reply 3
Original post by Ellisha2101
I am doing an access course with them now. The website is bright and easy to read and the work is interesting. However the support from tutors isn't great and you need to have a lot of motivation to get through it. If you can wait to go to collage then do that 1000% if you have no choice then this is as good as anything 🙂

Thanks ellisha! Id like to wait but just feel it's a waste of my time not atleast trying! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Bronskibeats
Hi, I've just started the access to health course. I'm only on the first unit but it seems easy to navigate and the learndirect people were great when I had questions before signing up. Like you I don't have time for college at present so this is my only option. Which access course are you interested in? I'd say just go for it, if it's something you really want to do.

Thank you! Did you call them to ask questions or was it over there facebook page? And access to midwifery! Which one have you just started? :smile:
I'm on unit 9 of 21 and have distinctions in the graded units so far, it's definitely a great alternative. But if it wasn't for childcare issues then I would have certainly gone to collage instead. Good luck anyway, I hope you smash it 😊
Reply 6
I'm on unit 9 of 21 and have distinctions in the graded units so far, it's definitely a great alternative. But if it wasn't for childcare issues then I would have certainly gone to collage instead. Good luck anyway, I hope you smash it 😊

Thank you. This is the reason i cant go to college yet just had my second baby and the college only give a small percentage of help towards childcare. How are you finding the units? Can i ask what sort of style the assessments are? Like i studied something with dlc and they wanted me to do an exam over skype is there anything like that or are they all written assignments?
There mostly reports, essays and then you get timed assessments. Everything is done online no Skype tests. It's nice and straight forward and this will sound daft but read the question they ask properly x
Reply 8
There mostly reports, essays and then you get timed assessments. Everything is done online no Skype tests. It's nice and straight forward and this will sound daft but read the question they ask properly x

Ah that works for me! How long are you finding each unit takes? Have you set yourself a time line to finish or are you just going with the flow? Which access are you studying?😌
it takes me on average two weeks per unit and then theres 3-5 days to wait for marking and feedback from tutors. Im doing the education pathway x
I sent them a message on Facebook and they replied quickly. I spoke to someone on the phone after I had signed up because I hadn't heard anything! I also emailed them yesterday and they got back to me today. I actually emailed to ask about the timed exams because the uni I want to go for won't accept access courses where the exam is done without an invigilator present 😕 Not good news! I've just about finished the first unit, started on Saturday but waiting for my new laptop to arrive to do a spreadsheet. I've got 2 small children too so that's why I've done it with them, I work part time and can't afford to give up work just yet!
@Ellisha2101 what do you mean about reading the question properly? I'm worried now 😳
Nothing sinister lol, it's just on the later units it will tell you analyse and evaluate or describe. Just make sure you go into detail and always send off for feedback before you submit it. Xx
Haha, I was expecting trick questions for a minute! Cool, thanks. I've noticed unit 2 question 1 says analyse blah blah blah. Thanks though, will definitely send off for feedback before submitting anything. Do you know of any Facebook groups for the access courses? Struggling to find any support for people doing these courses!
Reply 14
I sent them a message on Facebook and they replied quickly. I spoke to someone on the phone after I had signed up because I hadn't heard anything! I also emailed them yesterday and they got back to me today. I actually emailed to ask about the timed exams because the uni I want to go for won't accept access courses where the exam is done without an invigilator present 😕 Not good news! I've just about finished the first unit, started on Saturday but waiting for my new laptop to arrive to do a spreadsheet. I've got 2 small children too so that's why I've done it with them, I work part time and can't afford to give up work just yet!

I may give them a quick message and call :smile: oh no which uni are you looking at applying too? I just messaged my chosen uni today to check it was all compatible and if it is ill be applying to start straight away! Which pathway are you going down? Eg nursing, midwifery etc?
I've chosen the nursing pathway. I'm hoping to go to Nottingham or Derby! I'm a bit reluctant to carry on now though because of this problem! I'll get in touch with the uni's later when the kids are asleep! I'll be gutted if they won't accept it. Not sure what my other options would be. Where do you want to go to uni? Which pathway do you want to do?
Reply 16
I've chosen the nursing pathway. I'm hoping to go to Nottingham or Derby! I'm a bit reluctant to carry on now though because of this problem! I'll get in touch with the uni's later when the kids are asleep! I'll be gutted if they won't accept it. Not sure what my other options would be. Where do you want to go to uni? Which pathway do you want to do?

Send admissions an email, im sure they eill be able tell you. My chosen uni doesn't say anything about not accepting assignments in certain ways so hope they tell me when they reply haha! I ideally want to go to UWE but would apply as a second option to oxford brookes! But would definetely prefer UWE and midwifery for me 😌
Good luck getting everything sorted! Let me know what they say about the access course. Be nice to keep in touch if we do both continue with the course! I think a few of the modules are the same on the nursing & midwifery.
Reply 18
Good luck getting everything sorted! Let me know what they say about the access course. Be nice to keep in touch if we do both continue with the course! I think a few of the modules are the same on the nursing & midwifery.

I will let you know what they say! Hopefully they get back to me tomorrow as tbh im eager to start now! And that would be good to keep in touch when we are doing basically the same thing!
Hi could anybody be in to help me with unit 7 please it's driving me crazy and I don't have a clue what to do. The tutors are terrible on the learn direct site and not very supportive x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending