The Student Room Group

Doing the EPQ privately

Hey guys.

So, I found out recently that my Sixth Form College doesn't offer the EPQ (for some ******* reason) but I am really eager on doing it anyway so can I just do it privately via my College or another college. Should I just complete it independently and only submit it when complete or ask the school I will be doing it at for support as well?
Reply 1
Why are you so keen on it? most universities don't care too much for it.
Reply 2
I am finishing my EPQ in the next week or so. I can’t see how you could do it independently as you need a supervisor who teaches you skills and provides feedback at several different stages of the project.
I thought it couldn't be taken as a private candidate. It'll be in the specification if you check that.
AQA says not available for private candidates on page 14 (I don't know about ither exam boards though) https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-W-7993-SP-19.PDF
Reply 5
I want to study Mechanical Engineering at University so it would be a great place to show off my skills and it would potentially reduce the boundaries by a bit but now I am really considering if it is worth it. I plan to do mine with Pearson but the thing is, private centres have very high fees and it would be a long commute for me to get there just for the EPQ. For now, I don't think the possibility of an EPQ will be worthwhile for me. Still, I will definitely be looking out for extracurricular activities or WEX opportunities to develop my skills in this field, given the heavy demand for practical knowledge in Engineering.
Reply 6
I'm doing Maths, Physics and Further Maths anyway and I need minimum D's in my mocks to get into Year 13 (my school does the AS and A Level - again for some ******* reason - which sucks!) so it would be a burden for me anyway
Reply 7
But if you guys disagree, let me know! School hasn't started yet so we have time
Reply 8
No Uni insists on an EPQ - or prefers those who do one.

You need to be attached to a school that runs EPQs - the whole point is that you get supervision/advice about your research progress, and the school marks it, not the exam board. You cannot do EPQ any other way.
Reply 9
Original post by LQMN
Hey guys.

So, I found out recently that my Sixth Form College doesn't offer the EPQ (for some ******* reason) but I am really eager on doing it anyway so can I just do it privately via my College or another college. Should I just complete it independently and only submit it when complete or ask the school I will be doing it at for support as well?

Someone I know has pointed me towards Tutors and Exams. They are a private exam centre who offer the EPQ to private candidates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending