The Student Room Group

Welcome to the A level forum!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Undercovez
Hello guys , any suggestions where i can find A-level notes for maths and economics...

What exam board are you doing?
7 (b) Discuss the similarities and differences in the environmental impact of the use of renewable and non-renewable energy resources.

Renewable energy resources will not run out. Examples include solar power which, despite giving power over a large area and not having numerous factors which it makes it environmentally damaging, the transport of materials to put solar panels on roofs can cause pollution through fossil fuel combustion releasing greenhouse gases and adding co2 to the atmosphere.another example wind power is aesthetically damaging due to the required installation of wind turbines. as with wind turbines aesthetic appeal with coal mines is a major problem.countryside areas such as forests are destroyed and in there place visually unappealing coal mines are inputted. they both harm species of animals and kill birds that fly into the wings of the turbine and in addition bats are killed by air pressure changes. Coal mines can cause a large number of animals to lose part of their natural habitat.

nuclear power is non renewable so is finite and once supplies run out the resource cant be used again. The dumping of radioactive waste is a major problem which eludes other energy resources. radioactive waste is not everyday rubbish it can effectively cause health problems for surrounding organisms and methods to store it in some cases cannot be called cheap- materials involved have to be designed to absorb radioactive radiation. further expenses are involved with the cost of extracting uranium 238 because they require fast reactors and these take extreme technological development to make and sustain, it should be noted in addition that uranium is a resource that requires a large effort for its extraction,and is time consuming as well as costly.
despite this it certainly is ahead of other energy resources in terms of how many people it helps- it is the only current energy resource which provides comparable energy amounts to which fossil fuels provide.

HEP provides a large area of habitat destruction much like mines but species harmed are mostly aquatic and this is because migration is prevented as the dam blocks movement.

it might in some cases reduce the aesthetic appeal of a reservoir. some aspect may not be as pleasing eye as it previously was without the dam.
they, like mines ,will have heavy noise impacts during construction. The closer to urban areas the reservoirs during this period the greater the noise pollution caused due to more people hearing the noises. rapid water flow used to match demand for electricity can cause fish to die because they cant swim fast enough and slow water flow to match demand for electricity can cause fluctuations in amounts of dissolved oxygen levels. hep does not have as many environmental impacts on land as that of mining but flooding from the reservoir although isn't particularly common causes damage to the surrounding area such as lots of eroded soil.

whilst providing an exact scientifically evidenced answer as to which one of either causes more environmental damage
would be very difficult -quantifying exact amounts of emission and animal species lost on a global scale would be task involved for example., scientists have deduced the amounts of damage that the fossil fuels are causing towards the ozone layer and therefore how much global warming is being caused and so therefore we know that overall its the non nonrenewable energy resources that are causing one of the biggest pollution problems since they are the ones which involve the primary use of fossil fuels which non renewable resources dont.
i havent finished the answer but could someone please provide some form of evaluation. The mark schemes on the large marker for env studs are not easy to interpret.
thanks
Hey guys gonna choose a levels soon, have decided i want to do PPE so am choosing Maths, Ecnomics, however NEED to choose 2 more, have narrowed it down to either:
Eng lit
RS
Geography
FM
was wondering is somebody could outline the difficulty of these subjects and respectability, thank
Reply 23
Hi, I would like to know as I've just done my AS-Level if it is possible to get my A2-level done online? If yes would you please give me some recommendation on some websites?
Hello guys,

I am not sure whether this is the correct forum section where I can ask this question (I am new to this website) Currently, I'm a Year 10 student studying in the British IGCSE curriculum and I want to seek some advice from senior students on how to choose my preferably secondary school (Private school only). I was kind of loss of direction on my way of research with a considerable amount of information and schools that need to process. Personally, I am mostly certain with choosing History for one of a-level subjects and probably Economic and Geography (To be confirmed) respectively. I really want to try my best to aim these schools which have a high academic performance and especially a good course for history.

Plus,is there any suggestion for my a level options and the feasibility of this combination of majors? I also heard that there will be a UKISET test for admission and is there any resources to practice it?
Reply 25
Hi. I am looking for good A Level colleges in UK. Does anyone of you study in Boswroth Independent College? If yes, can you tell about the college, I'm deciding to go or not.
Okay so I'm asking for my brother. He's pretty nonchalant about most things including his education he just started year 12. And chose biology,chemistry,p.e. and statistics as his A-levels. He's looking at maybe doing medicine or dentistry. I'm not going to lie at the encouragement of my parents. He may also be open to law at uni. Because at his 6th form y13 do 3 a-levels he knows he's going to drop p.e. as many uni will not accept "human biology" with biology. But he really hates statistics. At first he was inbetween statistics and psychology which is what I did(so I guess that turned him off) But now he tried to switch to psycholgy or sociolgy but was told all places are full.

What A-levels would you recommend that compliment biology and chemistry without needing too much attention to get a good grade

I know this isnt the right thread but I dont know which one is.
P.S. He's hoping to do medicine
Original post by Lemur14
Welcome to the A level forum!:party2:
This is just a short post to help you get the most out of your visit to TSR today :yes:

Asking Questions

Answering questions

And of course keep to the community guidelines in all posts!

Hi guys!
Reply 28
Original post by ElizabethShch
Yes, you have understood me rightly! However if I pass a as-level exam(for example, in specific center in my country) and get well results of this exam, I will have a certification my knowledge of subjects. According to your words, are such factors as adaptation to the country and the fact that English is not my native language can become serious problems, even if I have above the average points on IELTS and results of as exam?
I’m going to study further math, biology, chemistry and physics.
Have you ever heard of this similar case?

Is this for medicine

Quick Reply

Latest