The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Queen’s University Belfast (QUB) Applicants 2018

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kathymh
I visited the pharmacy department just over a week ago. They do not look at your personal statement and look only at your grades. If you're likely to get the AAB they ask for for pharmacy they will make you an offer. Because they don't interview they have some logistical process as to how many offers they give out to how many students they take on when it comes to results day. so if you're grades say AAB or higher on UCAS you'll get an offer.
I got my offer through last week just after i visited.

This is such a huge relief. Thank you so much!
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 21
Original post by Jm562
This is such a huge relief. Thank you so much!

is pharmacy your top choice or nutrition?
Reply 22
Original post by Kathymh
is pharmacy your top choice or nutrition?

Probably Pharmacy. What about you?
Original post by Jm562
Thank you sooo much! I havent actually sent in my application cause I am waiting for my teacher to finish my reference and the holiday means I wont be able to know until i get back to school. I am just worried that queens wont give me an offer because I know that most applicants are med applicants and their application was already sent off before the 15th of october. As weird as it may seems Im actually more interested in doing pharmacy than dietetics.

Hi again Jm562 :grin:

Whilst personal statements are used as part of the selection process for courses like Nursing, Social Work, Dentistry and Medicine the advice regarding Pharmacy is the following:

"The information provided in the personal statement section and the academic reference together with predicted grades are noted but, in the case of the Pharmacy degree, these are not the deciding factors in whether or not a conditional offer is made. However, they may be reconsidered in a tie break situation in August."

Also the closing date for Pharmacy applications is 15th January so the earlier Medical applications won't have a bearing on this, but if you have any worries or concerns please do give our Admissions Office a call and they can help with any queries you have about applying.

You can call them on 028 9097 3838 or drop them an email at [email protected].

In the meantime, if you have any more questions about the course or even anything you would like to know about studying at Queen's or life in Belfast just let us know!

Hope this helps a bit.

Kachela
(Team Queen's)
Reply 24
Original post by Jm562
Probably Pharmacy. What about you?

pharmacy. where are you applying?
Original post by Kathymh
I visited the pharmacy department just over a week ago. They do not look at your personal statement and look only at your grades. If you're likely to get the AAB they ask for for pharmacy they will make you an offer. Because they don't interview they have some logistical process as to how many offers they give out to how many students they take on when it comes to results day. so if you're grades say AAB or higher on UCAS you'll get an offer.
I got my offer through last week just after i visited.

Congratulations on your offer Kathymh! :thumbsup:
Reply 26
Original post by Kathymh
pharmacy. where are you applying?

Just QUB cause I dont really want to leave NI and my parents :frown:. Are you just applying for pharmacy? Theres been a lot of talk around pharmacy being saturated recently which kind of worries me.
Reply 27
Original post by Jm562
Just QUB cause I dont really want to leave NI and my parents :frown:. Are you just applying for pharmacy? Theres been a lot of talk around pharmacy being saturated recently which kind of worries me.

Ah I'm the opposite 😅 I'm from east of england and applying to QUB as my top choice. don't worry about what other people say. if its what interests you then go for it. theres a lot of career opportunities for people with pharmacy degrees
Reply 28
Original post by Kathymh
Ah I'm the opposite 😅 I'm from east of england and applying to QUB as my top choice. don't worry about what other people say. if its what interests you then go for it. theres a lot of career opportunities for people with pharmacy degrees

One of my other option was biomed but I dont think I would be as interested in it as pharmacy. QUB is absolutely amazing. Ive attended numerous open days and just love the atmosphere and its really close to town/restaurants/cafes etc. People are really friendly aswell. Hopefully Ill get an offer when I submit my application and ill be glad to see you there!
Reply 29
Original post by Jm562
One of my other option was biomed but I dont think I would be as interested in it as pharmacy. QUB is absolutely amazing. Ive attended numerous open days and just love the atmosphere and its really close to town/restaurants/cafes etc. People are really friendly aswell. Hopefully Ill get an offer when I submit my application and ill be glad to see you there!

Absolutely right! be good to get to know some people before i get there though. coming from a very small town i doubt anyone from near me would be going that far away
Reply 30
Original post by Kathymh
Absolutely right! be good to get to know some people before i get there though. coming from a very small town i doubt anyone from near me would be going that far away

My sister is actually doing biochem in QUB and she said theres a lot of international students in pharmacy and they tend to stick together :frown: I am asian myself so people may mistake me as an IS. Don't worry about it though! There are plenty of societies and clubs you could join and plenty of opportunities to make friends especially during freshers week. Pharmacy and medicine students are also apparently quite close.
Reply 31
Original post by Jm562
My sister is actually doing biochem in QUB and she said theres a lot of international students in pharmacy and they tend to stick together :frown: I am asian myself so people may mistake me as an IS. Don't worry about it though! There are plenty of societies and clubs you could join and plenty of opportunities to make friends especially during freshers week. Pharmacy and medicine students are also apparently quite close.

Yes they're all things I've heard. What societies do you think you'll join?
Reply 32
Original post by Kathymh
Yes they're all things I've heard. What societies do you think you'll join?

Don't really know yet. I am thinking of learning french though cause they offer language classes. Have you had a chance to look at the societies?
Reply 33
Original post by Jm562
Don't really know yet. I am thinking of learning french though cause they offer language classes. Have you had a chance to look at the societies?

I've only really heard about the swimming and weightlifting ones but i'd probably join both of those. Didn't know they offered language classes but that might be something I look into if i get accepted
Reply 34
Ive visited the sports facilities and theyre quite good! Im sure you'd enjoy them. Yeah, my sister is learning Korean actually. Take a look at these: http://www.qubsu.org/ClubsSocieties/
Reply 35
Original post by Jm562
Ive visited the sports facilities and theyre quite good! Im sure you'd enjoy them. Yeah, my sister is learning Korean actually. Take a look at these: http://www.qubsu.org/ClubsSocieties/

There's a lot more than i realised. I visited the sports facilities while I was there. Definitely a place I'll be spending most of my free time, if I have any that is. Pharmacy is supposed to be very intense
Reply 36
Original post by Kathymh
There's a lot more than i realised. I visited the sports facilities while I was there. Definitely a place I'll be spending most of my free time, if I have any that is. Pharmacy is supposed to be very intense

Yeah. From what I've heard its about the same or maybe even harder than medicine:s-smilie:
Reply 37
Original post by Jm562
Yeah. From what I've heard its about the same or maybe even harder than medicine:s-smilie:

Couldn't possibly say I don't know what I'm getting myself into. All the universities tell you it's a lot of hard work but I'm up for the challenge. Be glad to finally be learning about things that fully interest me
Reply 38
Original post by Kathymh
Couldn't possibly say I don't know what I'm getting myself into. All the universities tell you it's a lot of hard work but I'm up for the challenge. Be glad to finally be learning about things that fully interest me

If you are really passionate about what you are studying then it makes it less challenging and you will be prepared to put in the work!
Reply 39
Original post by Jm562
If you are really passionate about what you are studying then it makes it less challenging and you will be prepared to put in the work!

Exactly. I don't see the point in all those people saying that taking pharmacy is a mistake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending