The Student Room Group

QUB Dentistry 2023 Entry

Welcome to the QUB (Queen's University Belfast) Dentistry 2023 Entry discussion thread.

Useful links:

Undergraduate Dentistry 2023 entry thread: Official Dentistry 2023 Entry Applicants’ Thread - The Student Room

The “Which dental school should I apply to?” Thread: The Official "Which Dental School Should I Apply To?" Thread - The Student Room

TSR Dentistry Wiki: Dentistry - The Student Room

Dentistry Undergraduate Entry Requirements: Dentistry Entry Requirements | The Student Room

Dentistry Graduate Entry Requirements: Graduate entry requirements for dentistry | The Student Room

Pre-dentistry/ Gateway Entry Requirements: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...dental-courses

General TSR Rules:

Do not ask for or post group chat links.

Do not ask for or post interview questions.

Do not offer to buy or sell items, including the promotion of dentistry courses.

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, just wanted to know more info about the QUB point system. Say the entry requirement for this year is 33. And a student has exactly 33 points, are they to be considered or guaranteed an interview?
Reply 2
Hey, as far as I’m aware, as long as you meet all other requirements pre interview I.e. A level predictions, and then meet the minimum score required for 2023, you should be considered for interview. Best of luck 🤞🏻
Reply 3
As long as you fulfil all other entry requirements i.e A level predictions and you achieve the minimum points then yes you should be considered for interview :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by QUBDent
As long as you fulfil all other entry requirements i.e A level predictions and you achieve the minimum points then yes you should be considered for interview :smile:

That's good to hear. My GCSE grades were 999888887 (disappointed with that 7) and based on that my points at the moment should be 30 at the moment and I am about to do my UCAT which will bump it further. But I'm concerned that this year the point system might be as high if not higher than last year which if I recall correctly was 33...
Does anyone have any insight on entry points this year whether they'll be higher, lower or the same as compared to last year?
Furthermore, does QUB have a UCAT cut-off? There was no mention on their website about a cut-off for the UCAT, only about points.
P.S. I'm applying from England - does that come into consideration at any point? Because I heard that Dundee last year was only accepting a few dental students from England.
Original post by Gamer.
That's good to hear. My GCSE grades were 999888887 (disappointed with that 7) and based on that my points at the moment should be 30 at the moment and I am about to do my UCAT which will bump it further. But I'm concerned that this year the point system might be as high if not higher than last year which if I recall correctly was 33...
Does anyone have any insight on entry points this year whether they'll be higher, lower or the same as compared to last year?
Furthermore, does QUB have a UCAT cut-off? There was no mention on their website about a cut-off for the UCAT, only about points.
P.S. I'm applying from England - does that come into consideration at any point? Because I heard that Dundee last year was only accepting a few dental students from England.

Just from looking at the trends of previous total point cutoffs, I would expect an maximum increase of 2 points, and a minimum increase of maybe 1 or perhaps none. I would really aim to get as high as possible, above 35. I don't think there's a UCAT cutoff, but obviously 2900+ would be ideal, and interviews given out are likely based on the total tally of points and some consideration into SJT and your personal statement + extracurriculars

Not sure about English students, but I wouldn't worry too much as QUB falls under the UCAS system and is part of Northern Ireland, which follows a similar UK system.
Original post by Gamer.

That was because all Scottish dental schools made their students repeat the year due to covid which meant they had to adjust the amount of offers they gave for last year’s application cycle to take that change into consideration. As a result, the overall number of offers decreased.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Ionomer
Just from looking at the trends of previous total point cutoffs, I would expect an maximum increase of 2 points, and a minimum increase of maybe 1 or perhaps none. I would really aim to get as high as possible, above 35. I don't think there's a UCAT cutoff, but obviously 2900+ would be ideal, and interviews given out are likely based on the total tally of points and some consideration into SJT and your personal statement + extracurriculars

Not sure about English students, but I wouldn't worry too much as QUB falls under the UCAS system and is part of Northern Ireland, which follows a similar UK system.

35 points sounds really high... I would have to score 2700 or above in UCAT to reach that. Lets hope for the best - the point threshold staying the same or decreasing to 32. Considering how at one point the point threshold was 28, 35 really does sound depressing.

Original post by Mesopotamian.
That was because all Scottish dental schools made their students repeat the year due to covid which meant they had to adjust the amount of offers they gave for last year’s application cycle to take that change into consideration. As a result, the overall number of offers decreased.

Wow, a shame. Is the same thing going to happen this year too? I heard about Cardiff and some other universities also deferring their students because they exceeded their capacity for students. Does that mean less students will get interviews and offers by those unis?

Btw, which other universities shortlist by GCSE grades for dentistry? I know Cardiff does - are there any others?
Original post by Gamer.
35 points sounds really high... I would have to score 2700 or above in UCAT to reach that. Lets hope for the best - the point threshold staying the same or decreasing to 32. Considering how at one point the point threshold was 28, 35 really does sound depressing.

Wow, a shame. Is the same thing going to happen this year too? I heard about Cardiff and some other universities also deferring their students because they exceeded their capacity for students. Does that mean less students will get interviews and offers by those unis?

Btw, which other universities shortlist by GCSE grades for dentistry? I know Cardiff does - are there any others?

To my knowledge QUB and Cardiff dental school are the two main unis that places heavy emphasis on GCSES
Reply 9
Original post by Aspiringdentist6
To my knowledge QUB and Cardiff dental school are the two main unis that places heavy emphasis on GCSES

I've researched a little more now, QUB, Cardiff, Leeds and Dundee are all which use GCSEs to rank applicants.
Can I apply to QUB if I have achieved grades but didn't apply to the university 1st time around?
Original post by Sam Floyd
Can I apply to QUB if I have achieved grades but didn't apply to the university 1st time around?

If you already applied to dentistry and did not choose QUB, then you cannot apply. This is from their 'how we choose our students' doc...

"Only those who had applied to study Dentistry at Queens at the first attempt are considered."
If you meet / exceed QUB points threshold are you
guaranteed an interview, or do you just progress to another stage of the selection process where from they will select people for interview. The website doesn't seem to make this clear, thanks.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Dentistry _GLA
If you already applied to dentistry and did not choose QUB, then you cannot apply. This is from their 'how we choose our students' doc...

"Only those who had applied to study Dentistry at Queens at the first attempt are considered."

Thanks for clarifying!
Guys do you think applying with 34 points is safe for QUB? I have B4 too so I'm bottom of the barrel for 34 points. Cut off last year was 33, thoughts?
Original post by Gamer.
Guys do you think applying with 34 points is safe for QUB? I have B4 too so I'm bottom of the barrel for 34 points. Cut off last year was 33, thoughts?

Same
Original post by Gamer.

Yes , I think it’ll be fine I had 33 points and got an interview last year. I don’t see the threshold going up by more than 2 points.
Does anyone know when they are going to start giving out interviews? or have they already started?
They’ve started already- I got one this morning
Original post by Chocoholicfreak
They’ve started already- I got one this morning

When's your interview?

Quick Reply

Latest