The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Failed one course can I still get the first class degree finally ?

I am a student from University of Birmingham and I really blame myself, cause I failed the module Thermodynamics & Fluids which counts 20 credits in my 2nd year. However, I got all the rest modules over 75 each. I mean, if I do very well in the 3rd year, is there any chance that I can still get the first class honor degree with that failure at last? Or, only end up with a disappointed diplomatic degree? I just wanna cry when thinking about this matter..sad sad sad sad... anyway many thanks for any response.
Or is there any way that I can save that 20 credits again?
The best answer will be with the relevant people in your department - maybe email your personal tutor/course director for clarification?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by Exceptional
The best answer will be with the relevant people in your department - maybe email your personal tutor/course director for clarification?

Sadly my tutor just ignored me
Did you have to repeat the module? Contact your school if your tutor is useless
Read the course handbook and academic regulations which apply to you. They'll explain how many credits etc you need to get each classification of degree. Maybe you can still get a first, maybe you can't - you'll have to work out the numbers.

Why did you fail the module? If you're failing T&F at this stage will you really be able to understand the third year modules and get good grades in them? Good luck.
Reply 5
IMG_0868.jpg
Original post by Duncan2012
Read the course handbook and academic regulations which apply to you. They'll explain how many credits etc you need to get each classification of degree. Maybe you can still get a first, maybe you can't - you'll have to work out the numbers.

Why did you fail the module? If you're failing T&F at this stage will you really be able to understand the third year modules and get good grades in them? Good luck.

According to the picture, I probably can get the first class degree? Because there are 40 credits allowed for losing, and now I just lost 20.
Reply 6
Original post by YaliaV
Did you have to repeat the module? Contact your school if your tutor is useless

They allowed me to proceed to the next year though I lost 20 credits this year. However, they didn't allow me to retake the module. I am really confused about that.
Original post by Allen Kim
Sadly my tutor just ignored me

Go to their office or go and see your course director in person.
IMG_0868.jpg

According to the picture, I probably can get the first class degree? Because there are 40 credits allowed for losing, and now I just lost 20.

That picture doesn't say anything about what you need for a First.

If you really can't work it out (and as an engineer going into 3rd year that's a bit surprising) then go see your tutor/director etc.

Once you've done that then work out why you failed the module and make sure you understand the material - because without it 3rd year will be tough.
Reply 9
Ok I went to the engineering support office for this problem ,they told me that failure would not stop me from getting the 1st degree at the end. It only decrease the aggregate grades, so I have to work really hard in my 3rd year to get the 1st degree.
Reply 10
They allowed me to proceed to the next year though I lost 20 credits this year. However, they didn't allow me to retake the module. I am really confused about that.

So how much credits did you end up getting 80? And they allowed you to progress?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending