The Student Room Group

2:1 undergrad with (presumably 1st) masters or 1st integrated masters?

hello. I am on track to get a 2:1 in my undergraduate degree. I cocked it really hard in my penultimate year (50% of grade) for mental health reasons and failed a class, but have gotten a 1st average in everything other year, including this one, my final year, and love my subject and would say I am pretty good at it. However, this means I have a 2:2 record in my courses that matter completed so far and I will probably graduate with a 2:1 if I continue. However, I believe that is good enough to either switch onto a integrated masters or a Msc masters. the integrated masters would drop the weight of the bad year to 20%, allowing me to get a first that way, and a separate masters would give me a 2:1 undergrad and a 1st (assuming) masters. Which is the better option? Are there any things I should keep in mind?
Look at what you really want to do when you graduate.
Is a Master's essential? If it is, I'd do the integrated one. Not because your average will be better, but because you will be saving yourself over £4,000. Only do a separate Master's if you believe that the modules you'll take are essential for your chosen career path/serve your own intellectual curiosity but don't do it because you want a certain grade.

Most jobs and indeed universities recruiting Master's or PhD students only require a mid-high 2:1.
I'm someone who used to get upset if I didn't get a first in every single assignment, but it's not worth the stress.
When I applied to Oxford and Cambridge, I submitted my transcript from my first year of my first degree before I changed courses, on which there were 2 fails, both in the department that I was applying to.
However, I changed courses, did much better and graduated with a First and got into both Oxford and Cambridge and guess what - they only asked me to graduate with a 2:1 and didn't even specify high or low.

I know it can be incredibly hard and frustrating to get lower grades than what you're capable of, I totally get that. But it's not worth it stressing over it even more and going into more debt for just to get that 10% improvement.
Especially if you are not wanting to continue studying and you will be looking for a job, jobs would care even less if you got a first or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending