The Student Room Group

Welcome to Education and Childhood Studies **PLEASE READ**

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi :hello:

I'm Ruth, a graduate from Liverpool Hope University and I studied a combined degree in Education and Special Educational Needs.

My Education course was split into 4 disciplines of Sociology, History, Philosophy and Psychology. The first area we explored for the course was the purpose of education which could be explored across all four of the disciplines.

If you have any questions at all about studying Education Studies please don't hesitate to give me a shout. Also If you also have any specific academic questions I can pass them on to an academic and we can start a good educational debate :bigsmile:

I'm also interested in your future career plans? Wanting to break the myth that Education Studies leads to being a teacher, although it can, there are lots of other career opportunities too. Does anyone have any careers in mind?

Hi I am thinking to study the same course that you have studied but I have a question. Does it lead to PGCE primary? I also would like to know about your experience in Liverpool Hope University.
Original post by teaching1997
Hi I am thinking to study the same course that you have studied but I have a question. Does it lead to PGCE primary? I also would like to know about your experience in Liverpool Hope University.

Hi @teaching1997 :smile:

It's great to hear from someone with the same interests as myself.

A number of friends on my course went on to do a Primary PGCE yes and some of us went on to a Masters programme too. I know that this route was better for me, rather than a QTS course, because I was unsure whether I wanted to commit to being a teacher so it gave me the flexibility to figure out which area I wanted to go into with the option to do a PGCE at the end. I have chosen to stay in academia, currently studying an MA in Disability Studies and working full time in HE.

With regards to my experience at Hope, I enjoyed my undergraduate so much that I stayed for a postgraduate course and also work here, so I have a little emotional attachment to this place. Because of its size and the beautiful gardens, Hope seems to have a community feel with a large support network that really benefited me during my studies.

The most beneficial thing I found was having the academics be active researchers. This meant that, particularly for SEN, I was taught by the very people at the forefront of this field and often quoting my tutors publishing's in my own work.

Here is a Facebook Live video that you may find useful, talking to academics and current students from both the Education and Special Educational Needs courses:
[video="youtube;gVJdiCkWS-g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVJdiCkWS-g&list=PLsuMeuKizJWbO_DBHmpepUKy53 guAcxBb&index=3[/video]

I hope this helps but of course if you have any specific question on the content of the course please give me a shout.

Ruth
This thread has been updated with a link to the new QTS thread here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5481584

:blow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending