The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

PGCE at Stranmillis

Hey there,

I have luckily got a place on the PGCE Early Years course at Stranmillis, starting in September. Just wondering if anyone can fill me in on the workload etc that is expected. I'm really looking forward to it but have been reading a lot of horror stories from people who are totally stressed out over it all and it's painting a black picture of the whole experience :s-smilie: I have quite a lot of teaching experience already so am hoping this will be to my benefit. If anyone has any first-hand experience of the PGCE at Stranmillis I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
Reply 1
hi there,

im just wonderin wat u did ur degree in- did u do an early years degree? its just iv done a psychology degree that had quite a lot of child development in it and iv been doin a classroom assistant course and cache level 3 extra modules as well as having been working as a classroom assistant for the past 2 years. Im really keen to know who gets in and with wat experience as i havent even been able to get an interview.

i wish u all the best in ur pgce, iv heard it is tough goin too but if uv got in and want to do it im sure u will manage and do well! :smile:

many thanks!
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Original post by mrsgavero
Just wondering if anyone can fill me in on the workload etc

I am 1 year into the 4 yr BEd but I have heard the PGCE is real tough going ... in fact if you want to do well I hear your social life is severely restricted. - but it'll be worth it in the end!
Reply 3
Original post by lappin04
hi there,

im just wonderin wat u did ur degree in- did u do an early years degree? its just iv done a psychology degree that had quite a lot of child development in it and iv been doin a classroom assistant course and cache level 3 extra modules as well as having been working as a classroom assistant for the past 2 years. Im really keen to know who gets in and with wat experience as i havent even been able to get an interview.

i wish u all the best in ur pgce, iv heard it is tough goin too but if uv got in and want to do it im sure u will manage and do well! :smile:

many thanks!

Hi, thanks for your well wishes. I'm hoping it's all going to work out ok :smile: I did my degree in Early Childhood Studies at Stranmillis but that was 9 yrs ago now!! I have also been teaching internationally since I graduated. As for who gets an interview it's really hard to say. When I applied I was told to try and make my personal statement really stand out as they will be reading hundreds of them so it needs to be something that is going to stand out from the crowd! Hope that helps a little?
Reply 4
Original post by rocket0612
I am 1 year into the 4 yr BEd but I have heard the PGCE is real tough going ... in fact if you want to do well I hear your social life is severely restricted. - but it'll be worth it in the end!

Hey thanks for your input. Hoping my experience is going to benefit me. As for the social life, I'll be happy if I can get out on a Fri or Sat night once in a while. As you said it will all be worth it in the end :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by rocket0612

hi there, just wondering what you thinking of the bed course to date... just been offered a place for september13 and looking a bit of insight into what to expect if I get in :smile:
Reply 6
Hey guys need help badly! I graduated in 2006 from Early childhood studies at Stran, now currently filling in the application for the PGCE. I need my individual module marks where on earth would I get this info it's been a long time since I was at uni and have no record of these? TIA
Reply 7
Original post by mrsgavero
Hey there,

I have luckily got a place on the PGCE Early Years course at Stranmillis, starting in September. Just wondering if anyone can fill me in on the workload etc that is expected. I'm really looking forward to it but have been reading a lot of horror stories from people who are totally stressed out over it all and it's painting a black picture of the whole experience :s-smilie: I have quite a lot of teaching experience already so am hoping this will be to my benefit. If anyone has any first-hand experience of the PGCE at Stranmillis I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Hi
Have you any tips for writing Personal Statement? I'm hoping to get on this course sept !!!
Reply 8
Just applying for Stranmillis PGCE now for Sept 2023? Can anyone please give any advice on the presentation or the interview?
Reply 9
Original post by lappin04
hi there,

many thanks!
Hi,
I was wondering if you could help me please. I have an interview coming up and its my second one. I didn't get in last year. I was wondering if you would have any advice or possible questions I need to prepare for. I have my presentation done but just need to get my cue cards done. I am awful at interviews and my mind goes blank.

Many thanks
Reply 10
Original post by Emz E
Hi,
I was wondering if you could help me please. I have an interview coming up and its my second one. I didn't get in last year. I was wondering if you would have any advice or possible questions I need to prepare for. I have my presentation done but just need to get my cue cards done. I am awful at interviews and my mind goes blank.

Many thanks
Hi I have an interview too, this will be my first time trying. Can you remember what questions they asked when you tried last year? Good luck, hope all goes well for you
Reply 11
Original post by ild028
Hi I have an interview too, this will be my first time trying. Can you remember what questions they asked when you tried last year? Good luck, hope all goes well for you
Hi, they asked me about an influential teacher in primary school, what I would change if I was education minister, how a theory differs in ks1 and ks2 and if a parent complained their child was playing too much what would I do.
I really didn't do well and prob won't this time either. I hate interviews.
Good luck
Hi how did you get on. Do you know how long after interview you find out if you got a place or not?
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi how did you get on. Do you know how long after interview you find out if you got a place or not?

Hey have you heard anything back yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending