The Student Room Group

2017 Las Vegas Strip shooting: 59 dead, 527 injured

Scroll to see replies

Edited the title for clarity.

Suspect named as Stephen Paddock Police have named the gunman as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock. They said he was local to Las Vegas.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Please don't use this horrible thing as a time to push your own agenda. France has some of the most draconian gun laws in the western world and Paris happened.

Why the **** not?

It's simple: less weapons among the general population means less things like this will happen.

Will they stop altogether? No, some people will always be dicks.

But is 1 mass shooting event better than 11? Damn right.

But it's too late for the US. There are too many guns out there. And they've missed the chance. They decided it was fine that a school full of kids got killed, so things like this barely scratch the surface.

But we're allowed to say "hang on, that's ****ing mental, you idiots", and even if you think we're not, we still will.
Original post by Drewski
But it's too late for the US. There are too many guns out there. And they've missed the chance. They decided it was fine that a school full of kids got killed, so things like this barely scratch the surface.

But we're allowed to say "hang on, that's ****ing mental, you idiots", and even if you think we're not, we still will.

Indeed. I've said it countless times before and I'll say it again: If the deaths of 20 children can't get the US to seriously change their gun laws, then nothing will. Too entrenched in their culture that something like this will affect it too.
Have ISIS claimed responsibility :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alas, the bickering has commenced:congrats:
Original post by Drewski
Why the **** not?

It's simple: less weapons among the general population means less things like this will happen.

Will they stop altogether? No, some people will always be dicks.

But is 1 mass shooting event better than 11? Damn right.

Okay. Look - This is a tragedy and using this to push your own agenda says more about you than the issue. I wouldn't support the anti-car people after the car attacks, I wouldn't support the anti-bleach people after the acid attacks and I can't support you using this to further an agenda.
Okay. Look - This is a tragedy and using this to push your own agenda says more about you than the issue. I wouldn't support the anti-car people after the car attacks, I wouldn't support the anti-bleach people after the acid attacks and I can't support you using this to further an agenda.

What agenda?

I'm simply saying it's ****ing moronic that these things keep happening and no action is taken.

It's more insulting to the hundreds of people who have been killed or injured throughout the years that their loss has been completely in vain.

Yes, it's a tragedy. Yes, we will mourn the dead.
But then, so what? What comes next? What will happen afterwards?

The answer, we all know, is not a damn thing.

And isn't that far far worse?

If you're not appalled by that then I question your humanity.
Reply 27

Gun control is a relevant issue to this thread, you can't deny that. Could more serious gun controls have prevented this? It's entirely possible, though as another poster said if Sandy Hook couldn't change Congress's mind, an attack like this probably won't even register to them.

Oh and FYI, bleach is alkaline. :wink:

There's a profound difference between furthering your agenda in the face of a tragedy, and trying to highlight a fundamental problem within a system, which permits such atrocities to occur. Although your sentiment is there, you're going about it wrong by discouraging Drewski to make his point.
This is now officially the deadliest mass shooting in American history... Thoughts are with the victims and their families.

Such sad news.
Suspect named as stephen paddock
Please don't use this horrible thing as a time to push your own agenda. France has some of the most draconian gun laws in the western world and Paris happened.

Let's find out what the shooter's motivation was, first - Who he was and why he did it.

Due to terrorism. America is way, way the market leader in random mass shootings caused by people with grudges, mentally unstable people and those who want to be famous after they are dead. The list goes on and the fact remains that in a country where pretty much anyone can obtain the sort of firepower reserved in most countries to the police and armed forces, the results are pretty much inevitable.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
This is now officially the deadliest mass shooting in American history... Thoughts are with the victims and their families.

Such sad news.

Worse even that the massive casualties is the thought that the needle won't even move on Republican indifference to this in the Congress and the gun lobby and weapons companies who sit behind them will be similarly unconcerned.

Right now, across America, arms sales companies and the people who work for them are heaving a sigh of glee as they know that gun sales are about to surge.

The conspiracy theory peddlers will be out in force and the hate mongers will be claiming this is all the fault of liberals. Fox News will be announcing that more civilians need more guns.

The morally broken country that is America and the shattering impact of right wing policies in action on the broken bodies of those mown down in the latest outrage resulting from mass weapon sales to civilians.
Yes, let's not talk about gun control in a society that worships firearms.

Instead let's pray and change our Facebook profile. That is far more effective.
The fault of a society that values freedom to carry arms over people's lives if they wanted to change it they could.
Original post by Quantex
Yes, let's not talk about gun control in a society that worships firearms.
Instead let's pray and change our Facebook profile. That is far more effective.

No, that's ludicrous, any sound argument supporting the regulation of guns in the US should be taken seriously.

Note, I detected your sarcasm, this is just a response for those dimwits who cannot and actually think social media mourning is productive.
There is no evidence to suggest that gun control actually causes a reduction in gun violence.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ninja Squirrel

Spoiler

How is this productive?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 38
Please don't use this horrible thing as a time to push your own agenda.
Erm, a mass shooting using (probably ) legally held automatic weapons is the perfect time to bring up the availability of those automatic weapons!
Mindboggling that you don't see a connection. *smh*

And it's not my agenda. It's the agenda of anyone with any sense of cause and effect and a shred of social compassion (and a normally sized penis).

France has some of the most draconian gun laws in the western world and Paris happened.
Homicide by firearm rates (per 100,000 of population)...
USA - 3.6
France - 0.21

You were saying?

Let's find out what the shooter's motivation was, first - Who he was and why he did it.
The motivation is utterly irrelevant to the argument that the public should not be allowed to buy or own automatic weapons.
Imagine if this man, whatever his motivation, only had stones to throw out of his window, or even knives? How many dead then, d'you think?
Original post by Aceadria
There is no evidence to suggest that gun control actually causes a reduction in gun violence.

You require evidence to grasp that concept?

Jeez!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending