The Student Room Group

2017 Las Vegas Strip shooting: 59 dead, 527 injured

Scroll to see replies

Sadly events like these will continue to be commonplace in America.
Over 400 people have been taken to local hospitals.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Sadly events like these will continue to be commonplace in America.

America is a place where you can drive into a gun fair and any muppet with a bad attitude and money can buy sufficient weaponry to take on a small country. All the time whilst professing to be good Christian folk and heartwarmingly proud of leading the world.

Really, we need to save them from themselves.
Reply 43
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Okay. Look - This is a tragedy and using this to push your own agenda says more about you than the issue. I wouldn't support the anti-car people after the car attacks,
WTF?
A car is not designed with the sole purpose of killing people/animals!

I wouldn't support the anti-bleach people after the acid attacks and I can't support you using this to further an agenda.
Who TF are the "anti-bleach people"?
And bleach is a strong alkali - the opposite of acid.

Your apparent lack of reason and basic knowledge says more about you than the issue. (I don't know what point you were even trying to make there).

An avoidable disaster is the perfect time to dicuss the things that, if they had been different, would have prevented the disaster.
I completely fail to see why you object to raising the issue of the avoidable cause of so many deaths.
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Over 400 people have been taken to local hospitals.

While that's bad, it's worth noting that most of those will be injuries from the crush / stampede towards the exits, rather than the actual shooting.
Reply 45
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
This is now officially the deadliest mass shooting in American history...
I think some Native Americans may beg to differ!
The shooter was from Mesquite, Nevada, population (according to Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesquite,_Nevada) 17,496. They have (according to reports today) typically one murder a year, roughly 50 times the UK average murder rate.

Mesquite is close to the location of the Bundy Standoff, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_standoff, where far right survivalists battled with federal agents in recent years.
Surely the Foreign Office should now be directing visitors that it is unsafe to visit the United States? It can't possibly be considered a safe place to be, can it?
Reply 48
It's so awful that these things happen! These people have been targeted for no reason and most of the time the murderers do not discriminate. They just want to kill. What's even worse is that it seems to be becoming the norm.

We had someone making bombs in house a couple of roads down from where we live. Luckily they ****ed up and started an accidental fire in their house so their house. Their house was searched due to the unusual smell and they got found out.

Thing is if guns were readily available to them they probably would've just gone out and done the same as what happened today in Las Vegas. Guns definitely are a problem, but it's very difficult to stop bombers and people making them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Aceadria
There is no evidence to suggest that gun control actually causes a reduction in gun violence.
Yes there is.
The statistics show that death by firearm reduced by 50% after the controls brought in after the Port Arthur massacre, and have remained low since.

And even if there wasn't any, why would anyone argue against gun control? Who, in their right mind, thinks it's better to allow the general public to posses guns than it is to prohibit them?
Original post by QE2
And even if there wasn't any, why would anyone argue against gun control? Who, in their right mind, thinks it's better to allow the general public to posses guns than it is to prohibit them?

Basically anybody / everybody on the Right of US politics... Their opinion would be that bad guys with guns can be stopped by good guys with guns. So we should let everybody have guns.
406 injured !!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 52
Original post by Drewski
Basically anybody / everybody on the Right of US politics... Their opinion would be that bad guys with guns can be stopped by good guys with guns. So we should let everybody have guns.
I asked "who in their right mind..."
Original post by QE2
I asked "who in their right mind..."

It is their right mind. And a great deal of them are sensible, intelligent people. Worryingly.

It's just not the right mind of others. It's all about perspective.
Getting a gun. Massacring a bunch of innocent people. It's the new American dream.
Original post by Drewski

It's truly shocking for example that there are only 3 guns for every grown up in America. The figure clearly needs to be more like ~25. Spare assault rifles could be placed on street corners on a just in case basis.
The words 'mass shooting' and 'USA' in the same sentence fail to elicit any feelings of shock or emotion in me anymore.

It f**cking sucks. But they do literally nothing to prevent them happening. I feel for all the innocent people losing their lives whilst the government and the NRA jerk each other off.
The more guns about, the safer we are....

Another day in the asylum that is the USA.
Original post by Quixote.
The words 'mass shooting' and 'USA' in the same sentence fail to elicit any feelings of shock or emotion in me anymore.

It f**cking sucks. But they do literally nothing to prevent them happening. I feel for all the innocent people losing their lives whilst the government and the NRA jerk each other off.

It's not even the 'government' as such. It's a bunch of craven money-whoring Republicans in the Congress.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's not even the 'government' as such. It's a bunch of craven money-whoring Republicans in the Congress.

Honestly, what's the difference.

They're all corrupt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending