The Student Room Group

2017 Las Vegas Strip shooting: 59 dead, 527 injured

Scroll to see replies

Why can't America just have sensible gun laws? Like they don't have to ban guns, just have tighter background checks to prevent retards like Stephen Paddock getting their hands on them
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Please don't use this horrible thing as a time to push your own agenda. France has some of the most draconian gun laws in the western world and Paris happened.

Let's find out what the shooter's motivation was, first - Who he was and why he did it.

yes but its no where near the scale of US

seat belts are compulsory in most countries and yet people still die from accidents, without seat belts the death count would be much higher.
No.. ISIS will claim responsibility for anything and everything. Police said there was no evidence he was a convert or an ISIS soldier...
Just in from Reuters:

UPDATE: Senior U.S. officials say no evidence Vegas shooter was connected to international militant group after ISIS claims responsibility
Reply 84
Just part and parcel of living in a major American city
The IRA used to do it here. No big difference.
Reply 86
Original post by QE2
And of course, totally prohibiting the sale or possession of semi-automatic weapons would not make this kind of event any less likely, cuz "guns don't kill people..."
*smh*
Check your facts before spouting sh*t. Illegally obtained guns are the main cause of firearm deaths in the USA. Legally owned guns have been proven to save lives....well except for criminals!

Banning guns would not stop criminals from having them. It would only stop decent law-abiding homeowners from having them which means they are at more risk of being killed in their own homes.
Original post by nutz99
Check your facts before spouting sh*t. Illegally obtained guns are the main cause of firearm deaths in the USA. Legally owned guns have been proven to save lives....well except for criminals!

Banning guns would not stop criminals from having them. It would only stop decent law-abiding homeowners from having them which means they are at more risk of being killed in their own homes.

thats why apart from having gun laws you need to enforce them strictly too.
Does anyone else think the performer is kind of a coward he ran off but didn't say anything to the crowd maybe he thought he was being targeted but it makes him look bad.
Original post by Drewski
While that's bad, it's worth noting that most of those will be injuries from the crush / stampede towards the exits, rather than the actual shooting.
It's also worth noting that if it wasn't for the shooting, there wouldn't have been a crush in the first place.
Original post by QE2
I think some Native Americans may beg to differ!
Couldn't agree more.:sadnod:
Original post by QE2
I asked "who in their right mind..."
PRSOM
Reply 90
Original post by nutz99

These 'illegal' guns are mostly just guns bought legally at first and then sold on the black market to criminals and crazies. If guns were illegal, the whole cycle of firearms usage would stop
Reply 91
Original post by nutz99
Check your facts before spouting sh*t. Illegally obtained guns are the main cause of firearm deaths in the USA.
1. legally owned guns have been used in many mass shootings.
2. If there are no legal guns in circulation, it is that much harder for then to be accessed illegally.

Legally owned guns have been proven to save lives
1. Evidence please.
2. Legally owned guns have been proved to take lives.

Banning guns would not stop criminals from having them.
It would make them harder for criminals to obtain them.

It would only stop decent law-abiding homeowners from having them
They are only "decent and law-abiding" until they shoot someone with their legally held gun.

which means they are at more risk of being killed in their own homes.
Studies in the US have shown that you are around 4 times more likely to be shot to death if you keep a gun in the home than if you don't.
"Guns are protection" is a myth that has long been debunked.

Let's face it. There is no good argument for a private individual to keep guns in their home. There is nothing left for the gun lobby except for "yehaw, look at the size of my ****!"
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It remains the case that right wing white terrorists and perpetrators of racist violence have caused far more deaths in the US in recent years than all the Islamist extremists put together and that's even if you count 9/11. US cops with racist motivations have killed more black people than the 9/11 bodycount.
And that's only in recent years. Historically for the USA, it gets worse.
terrorist
Reply 94
People on here denigrate Saudi/UAE/Iran all the time but they never see these sorts of attacks and crime. I'd much rather live there than in war zone America
Reply 95
Original post by desaf1
People on here denigrate Saudi/UAE/Iran all the time but they never see these sorts of attacks and crime. I'd much rather live there than in war zone America
I think you'll find that both systems are broken and in urgent need of repair.

It's not a competition.
Death toll up to 58, 515 injured.
The latest police statement is saying 58 people are now dead and 515 have been injured in the chaos.
Reply 98
Simply not true. The majority of MSM, plus most politicians and public figures go out of their way to paint Islam and Muslims in a favourable light.
And they are right to do so regarding the latter, but not the former.
Original post by desaf1

I think I'd rather live in a country where I have a 9/200000 chance of being killed than live in a country where I can't practice my religion or say what I want and where I'll be in constant fear of being arrested in case I accidentally insult big Mo (obviously UAE is the exception here)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending