The Student Room Group

'Hard Brexit with no trade deal could cost UK economy £400billion by 2030'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ByEeek
We can make laws until we are blue in the face. But if you are company making products or services to sell elsewhere in the world, it is their laws and not ours that count. Which is why being somewhere like Europe is a good thing - you only have to deal with one set of laws to deal with, one lot of paperwork and one rate of VAT. Once we are out of the EU, the amount of bureaucracy and red tape will only go up for companies because they will have to deal with UK law and EU law. And then on top of that there will be the customs nightmare and the fact that hiring non-UK people will become a royal ball-ache. All for this fictional entity called sovereignty.

Erm making our own laws is mostly important for domestic reasons.
We of course have to abide by other country’s trading rules if we want to sell our stuff to their markets.
That’s how it is now for the rest of the world, and again the eu rules are minimum standards there are still variations for each country.

Will there be more red tape? Of course there will but it will just be factored into the costs and processes for business.... so what.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
The same people couldn't even name which EU laws they are against.

Depends who you ask and regardless it’s a principal they want to make their own domestic laws in their own land. I’d call that democratic.
Original post by paul514
Currency fluctuations are bigger than tariffs

Try telling that to Bombardier. Only a matter of time before more of our companies are slapped with high tarrifs. The US nor the rest of the world cares for us anymore.
Original post by Guru Jason
Try telling that to Bombardier. Only a matter of time before more of our companies are slapped with high tarrifs. The US nor the rest of the world cares for us anymore.

Yea ok

1. That’s got nothing to do with us leaving the eu, infact they claim that bombardier have an unfair advantage because of EU subsidies paid to them.

2. It won’t become law, it’s illegal. Perhaps read up on the issue.

As for the no one cares, we’re one of the worlds leading economies, if no one cares about us they care about no one.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by paul514
Yea ok

1. That’s got nothing to do with us leaving the eu, infact they claim that bombardier have an unfair advantage because of EU subsidies paid to them.

As for the no one cares, we’re one of the worlds leading economies, if no one cares about us they care about no one.

(a) They have become law, but are subject to an appeals procedure that Bombardier will probably lose

(b) They are not EU subsidies but UK and Quebec government subsidies.

(c) IN aviation as in many other industries subsidies are asymmetric, so my subsidies aren't subsidies and your subsidies are illegal. Accordingly the legal system is a poor way to resolve such disputes.

(d) The EuUis in a far better position than the UK to wage this war on our behalf. When Bush imposed tariffs on steel, the EU imposed duties on products where the key US producers were in marginal congressional seats. The tariffs were quickly lifted.
Original post by nulli tertius
(a) They have become law, but are subject to an appeals procedure that Bombardier will probably lose

(b) They are not EU subsidies but UK and Quebec government subsidies.

(c) IN aviation as in many other industries subsidies are asymmetric, so my subsidies aren't subsidies and your subsidies are illegal. Accordingly the legal system is a poor way to resolve such disputes.

(d) The EuUis in a far better position than the UK to wage this war on our behalf. When Bush imposed tariffs on steel, the EU imposed duties on products where the key US producers were in marginal congressional seats. The tariffs were quickly lifted.

Well every political commentator on the tv says it’s illegal and the process has been brought about for political leverage.
thank you Brexiteers for messing up young people's future!
Original post by ByEeek
I still don't understand this argument. It is like saying, "I'd rather be outside the party in the rain with no food and drink, sitting in a puddle being spat on. After all, it is better than having to talk to people I sometimes disagree with."

How pathetic.

Are you saying you don't understand because you want to understand but don't, or because you don't want to understand and like being angry about what the democratic vote said?
Original post by shawn_o1
He's right about WTO rules dictating the quality of our exports :wink: we'd still be in NATO wrt defence. But yeah laws regarding humans would be under our control (and our gov has no excuse to not implement them properly)

If we join the EEA, they won't be. And guess what, we are gonna join.
Original post by paul514
Depends who you ask and regardless it’s a principal they want to make their own domestic laws in their own land. I’d call that democratic.

You'd call unelected Lords as democratic? Strange view if you ask me.

Let's not forget the fury of the leavers when the Court system intervened soon after the referendum.
Original post by paul514
Well every political commentator on the tv says it’s illegal and the process has been brought about for political leverage.

Can you find me a credible legal commentator who says that?
Original post by paul514
Yea ok

I doubt that it's illegal, in any event, the US auto-assume that their laws apply to everyone worldwide, which kind of puts our Brave Little England in perspective.

All the evidence of the postwar years is that the UK has been totally unable to stand up to US corporate interests, whereas the EU has had at least some modest success in doing so. This is why Trump and the corporate lobbyists and the Right in the US are so hostile to the EU.
Original post by nulli tertius
Can you find me a credible legal commentator who says that?

Wtf is a legal commentator 😳
Original post by IamJacksContempt
You'd call unelected Lords as democratic? Strange view if you ask me.

Let's not forget the fury of the leavers when the Court system intervened soon after the referendum.

They scrutinise legislation not propose and pass it.

Also everyone knows their days are numbered anyway in its current form, and before you say anything remember there have been two major reforms in the last 20 years that will just continue
Original post by paul514
Wtf is a legal commentator 😳

An American lawyer, legal academic or similar who understands US trade law and has written something in a newspaper, in a journal, on a blog or somewhere else on this case.
Reply 55
Original post by paul514
Yea ok

I am sure if Airbus pulls out of the UK, they too will want the EU to impose tariffs on none EU produced planes, probably at the same rate as the US.
Original post by CurlyBen
and will continue to do so not because the regulations are necessary but because there are people employed to write them.

You probably won't remember this, but before it was fashionable to accuse the EU of swamping us in red tape, the red tops frequently aimed similar criticism at the UK government.
Original post by paul514
Erm making our own laws is mostly important for domestic reasons.

I couldn't agree more. And we do. Always have. But when it comes to laws of trade, we will never be in full control. It is always going to be a compromise. So the compromise we have made is to sack off free trade with our closest neighbours and biggest / easiest market because we can't make deals with other countries some of which are not particularly interested in a bilateral free trade deal (US, India etc) unless they are weighted in their favour.
Original post by paul514
It is a random guess, firstly the things they are measuring (from the little mentioned in the article) can’t be measured as you don’t know the policies, investment or numbers for those areas.

Secondly I don’t need to disprove it, economists are well known for crap forecasting over a year and ludicrously way off on long range forecasting. You’re argument is one of assertion of authority based on job title, mine is track record and the unpredictability of the future.

As an example , how many recessions are built into the numbers? We have one on average every 7 years, we’re due one now and we would be due another before that time frame is up.

Also what numbers have they used and how have they used those numbers to extrapolate these figures?

Generic asf. I give up.

As I said, you can get away with this level of laziness because it's TSR.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
which kind of puts our Brave Little England in perspective.

All the evidence of the postwar years is that the UK has been totally unable to stand up to US corporate interests.

Why do you hate your country so much? Serious question, your snide little comment is utterly sickening.

And to your second point, how successful has the UK been in standing up to the EU?

At least the US decisively helped us in two world wars. All the EU has done is charge us billions and billions for the privilege of importing more from them than we export.

Especially people, without whom our entire economy would have collapsed obviously, with us living in sackcloth and ashes. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending