The Student Room Group

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich: President Trump is a 'soulless coward'

So the upshot is someone who virtually no one has ever heard off said something mean about someone they dont like and you think ts significant?
*this is the San Antonio Spurs btw :teehee:

i think they do baseball or sth
I was just about concluded that Trump was an awfully good chap. Then Coach Pop interceded and I just don't know any more.
Reply 4
For those non-sports fans, or perhaps those who are not fans or have no knowledge of Major League Baseball or the National Basketball Association-the San Antonio Spurs are a a professional basketball team, worth several billion dollars, which has, under Popovich, won 5 world championships. I do get it-that there are markets where some sports figures are extraordinarily well known. Ask me about Cricket, for example (though I am interested to learn more and attend matches) and I think I can only name one player, don't know the rules, the teams, etc.

Original post by the bear
*this is the San Antonio Spurs btw :teehee:

i think they do baseball or sth
Reply 5
The San Antonio Spurs and Popovich are extraordinarily well known in the U.S., Canada, and in other markets where Basketball is followed. No man goes on to win 5 world championships in that context, and coaches Olympic teams to medals, and is someone unheard of. However, by comparison, I would presume, there are football teams that most Americans have never heard of -perhaps it would be akin to Manchester United's coach saying something. I know who they are-but most Americans would consider that person to be someone who they've never heard of. The comments, then, in the U.S., the target market of the criticism(since its criticizing the person in leadership in this country), well, were from an extraordinarily prominent person. But again, if someone is not in the U.S., China, Canada, and many other global locations where NBA teams are followed, or perhaps not into sports or not into certain sports, they would not realize the import of the reference as I noted above.

But on the flip side, there are also those people who are lock-step in unison with white supremacy and racism, who will defend the purveyors of such, seek to minimize or deflect those who speak against it and otherwise defend the white supremacist because they are either in full support of such, sympathetic to such and/or proud to have someone representing their white supremacist views. To someone like that, I guess I could see why a business franchise worth Billions, with fans from all around the world, could somehow be termed "someone who is a nobody". :smile:

Original post by 999tigger
So the upshot is someone who virtually no one has ever heard off said something mean about someone they dont like and you think ts significant?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending