The Student Room Group

Are Kpop and Kdramas cringy?

Hi!

Now, I know there’s a lot of stigma around the whole idea of K-pop and K-Dramas and I was wondering if you heard me say this: would you cringe or not?

Basically, I wanted to learn a new language with a different writing system than us. Thus, my plan is:

Learn Korean (한국) > Learn Japanese (日本) > Learn Mandarin (中国)

With Korean being the easiest out of the three, I’m using them like stepping stones.

In order for me to learn Korean faster, I thought I’d listen to the music and watch a couple of their TV shows. To my surprise, I loved what I saw and I was hooked. Now, I don’t see K-Dramas and K-Pop as a chore and more of a hobby. But I never fangirl about it at school.

When my friends sleep over and I watch K-Dramas at night, or a K-Pop song comes on through Autoplay on YouTube they kind of make a joke about it- which is understandable kinda. However, they never take what I say seriously about WHY I watch and listen to it.

So, am I still a cringy supposed Koreaboo or not?

Im still going to watch/listen to it regardless of what people say but I just want to see how it is perceived still.

Scroll to see replies

I’m a fan of Kpop and kdrama, and yeah sometimes my friends joke about it, but at the moment it’s becoming more widely recognized at legitimate music and television at a mor global level, so I’m over the joking
A *****y Korma from a sidestreet takeaway is about as cultured as it gets here lmao.

It's not cringe or really, it'd be silly if you began to act like the actors, dress like the singers or become obnoxious with it. But your initial goal is to learn the language, who cares what means you get to that goal. I'd really not care what anyone thinks of me trying to learn something new and potentially useful in a variety of situations.
Reply 3
Original post by somemightsay888
A *****y Korma from a sidestreet takeaway is about as cultured as it gets here lmao.

It's not cringe or really, it'd be silly if you began to act like the actors, dress like the singers or become obnoxious with it. But your initial goal is to learn the language, who cares what means you get to that goal. I'd really not care what anyone thinks of me trying to learn something new and potentially useful in a variety of situations.

Hell no!😂 I see some really cringy Koreaboo’s at school who are determined to get married to Asian men and to become Asian themselves - which leaves me wondering where tf are their parents at to tell them how embarrassing they are lmao
Reply 4
Original post by Troker101
I’m a fan of Kpop and kdrama, and yeah sometimes my friends joke about it, but at the moment it’s becoming more widely recognized at legitimate music and television at a mor global level, so I’m over the joking

true but K-Pop isn’t completely there yet... I suppose it relies upon a difference in culture and cringy Koreaboos that make us kpop fans look bad lmao
Original post by baeornot
true but K-Pop isn’t completely there yet... I suppose it relies upon a difference in culture and cringy Koreaboos that make us kpop fans look bad lmao

Yeah I understand that, but I enjoy and respect it too much to be ashamed of it in any way
Reply 6
Ngl, I've barely watched K-drama but my favourite was definitely Cheese in the Trap :h:. It's probably cos I read lots of manwha and it was one of my favourites.
Reply 7
Original post by _amz_
Ngl, I've barely watched K-drama but my favourite was definitely Cheese in the Trap :h:. It's probably cos I read lots of manwha and it was one of my favourites.

Honestly, I didn’t click with that drama too much... but ‘Because This Is My First Life’ which is currently airing is really good! You should watch it :smile:
Reply 8
Hi!

Now, I know there’s a lot of stigma around the whole idea of K-pop and K-Dramas and I was wondering if you heard me say this: would you cringe or not?

Basically, I wanted to learn a new language with a different writing system than us. Thus, my plan is:

Learn Korean (한국) > Learn Japanese (日本) > Learn Mandarin (中国)

With Korean being the easiest out of the three, I’m using them like stepping stones.

In order for me to learn Korean faster, I thought I’d listen to the music and watch a couple of their TV shows. To my surprise, I loved what I saw and I was hooked. Now, I don’t see K-Dramas and K-Pop as a chore and more of a hobby. But I never fangirl about it at school.

When my friends sleep over and I watch K-Dramas at night, or a K-Pop song comes on through Autoplay on YouTube they kind of make a joke about it- which is understandable kinda. However, they never take what I say seriously about WHY I watch and listen to it.

So, am I still a cringy supposed Koreaboo or not?

Im still going to watch/listen to it regardless of what people say but I just want to see how it is perceived still.

I really wanna learn Japanese. It's such an interesting language (+anime with no subs bonus :u:). Also, one of the teacher's from my school was running a Chinese club where he taught Mandarin and it was really good but he left last year :frown:
Reply 9
Honestly, I didn’t click with that drama too much... but ‘Because This Is My First Life’ which is currently airing is really good! You should watch it :smile:

I could really relate to it for some reason. Oh what's it about? I'll definitely give it a try.
I think when people from the west say that kpop and Korean dramas are cringey, it comes from a very eurocentric point of view.
Reply 11
Original post by _amz_
I could really relate to it for some reason. Oh what's it about? I'll definitely give it a try.

Basically this woman and man end up being roomies through a misunderstanding. I don’t want to say anymore cause I don’t want to give much away but it’s sooooooo good and there’s a kiss in the first episode!😂
Reply 12
Basically this woman and man end up being roomies through a misunderstanding. I don’t want to say anymore cause I don’t want to give much away but it’s sooooooo good and there’s a kiss in the first episode!😂

Damnn the plot seems solid (I feel like it will have that awkward humour). The ratings are sick too!! :cute:
I don't find it cringy at all.I think I'm a k-drama addict and that is because their story lines are so creative,original and suspenseful and even the music is good,if you give it time and listen to it properly.
Reply 14
Original post by tamil fever
I don't find it cringy at all.I think I'm a k-drama addict and that is because their story lines are so creative,original and suspenseful and even the music is good,if you give it time and listen to it properly.

preach 🙌🏼🙌🏼
Reply 15
Original post by _amz_
Damnn the plot seems solid (I feel like it will have that awkward humour). The ratings are sick too!! :cute:

It really does have awkward humour ngl... sometimes I cringe for them 😂😂
Original post by Appazap
I think when people from the west say that kpop and Korean dramas are cringey, it comes from a very eurocentric point of view.

respect
@faloodeh Thoughts?
Original post by AryanGh
@faloodeh Thoughts?

It's not cringy at all, it's the fans that are cringy and mostly fetishize and obsess over the korean actors or singers, otherwise it's just like any other countrys dramas and songs
Reply 19
Original post by faloodeh
it's not cringy at all, it's the fans that are cringy and mostly fetishize and obsess over the korean actors or singers, otherwise it's just like any other countrys dramas and songs

p. R. E. A. C. H

Quick Reply

Latest