The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Rough dundee?

Hello,

So I went to dundee, really liked it and felt pretty safe tbh.

My family is from Edinburgh (but I have very strong southern English accent since I live in Brighton)

I'm pretty street smart but I have had a lot of people telling me that dundee is rough often referring to it as Scumdee. Is this the case? As long as I'm street smart I'll be chill right?
Hahahaha I live around 20 minutes from Dundee and 'Scumdee' is a term used when people don't like Dundee so refer to it that way. What city doesn't have bad parts? Sure, it's not perfect. However, it has just had a £1 billion investment and is the upcoming city in Scotland I absolutely guarantee you that. Its music roots are flourishing again and it has a great vibe. I can honestly say that Dundee is a very good city to spend your first years as an independent adult.
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
hello

I am from dundee ,its a place that has good and bad points but where the uni is based (perth road ) is a very nice part of dundee that is heavily populated
with other students,bars,hairdressers and resteraunts. most people that moved here tend to love the vibe of the place!
Reply 3
Dundee is not as rough as people think it is. Yes, the East End can be quite dodgy, but you will be no where near it if you go to uni in Dundee. The West End is pretty safe. Plus, the SU runs a free bus service during the evenings and there is an arrangement with a taxi service if you need to get home and have no money on you.
there are rough parts of Edinburgh too.... Craigmillar, Niddrie & Wester Hailles are not places to buy your shortbread.
Reply 5
Original post by the bear
there are rough parts of Edinburgh too.... Craigmillar, Niddrie & Wester Hailles are not places to buy your shortbread.

Buying your shortbread is an important part of life and must be observed carefully. :holmes:
if trainspotting is anything to go by ill stick to dundee haha
Reply 7
Original post by Airmed
Dundee is not as rough as people think it is. Yes, the East End can be quite dodgy, but you will be no where near it if you go to uni in Dundee. The West End is pretty safe. Plus, the SU runs a free bus service during the evenings and there is an arrangement with a taxi service if you need to get home and have no money on you.

I'd generally agree with this. Hilltown and the north/east have a fairly bad reputation but they're not where most students go.

Unfortunately there have been some high profile incidents near the university lately. But it's usually fairly busy and safe at all times. And there's new emergency buttons around the campus, which is.... nice.
Reply 8
Original post by pjm600
I'd generally agree with this. Hilltown and the north/east have a fairly bad reputation but they're not where most students go.

Unfortunately there have been some high profile incidents near the university lately. But it's usually fairly busy and safe at all times. And there's new emergency buttons around the campus, which is.... nice.

True. That recent incident was disgusting, but apparently the man has been caught.

Perhaps because I am always so holed up in the library, I've not seen these buttons! Where are they? Union?
Reply 9
Original post by Airmed
True. That recent incident was disgusting, but apparently the man has been caught.

Perhaps because I am always so holed up in the library, I've not seen these buttons! Where are they? Union?

There's one between the library and dalhousie, great big thing, can't miss it. Near where the building that was knocked down over summer was, with the electric chargers. Big tempting red button.

Not entirely sure how useful they'll be given everyone has a phone, but its nice to see a proactive idea.
Reply 10
Original post by pjm600
There's one between the library and dalhousie, great big thing, can't miss it. Near where the building that was knocked down over summer was, with the electric chargers. Big tempting red button.

Not entirely sure how useful they'll be given everyone has a phone, but its nice to see a proactive idea.

Not been near Dalhouise in a while, I've been ill and missing class :tongue: Might go have a look and try not to press it.

True. But they are also running those self-defence classes as well.
Reply 11
Does anyone know if it’s safe living near Baxter park? It’s on Broughty Ferry road. Moving for work and seen a flat share there.
Reply 12
Original post by ALEKSx
Does anyone know if it’s safe living near Baxter park? It’s on Broughty Ferry road. Moving for work and seen a flat share there.

Yeah, that's not too bad an area.
Reply 13
Thanks. So anywhere around Baxter park is okay?
Lived here since 2014 - it's only really "scummy" if you're involved in all of that shenanigans. If you keep your head down and keep yourself to yourself, you'll be grand. It's got good areas/bad areas the same as any city to be honest. Have enjoyed my time down here and hopefully plan to stay once I hear back about my PGDE application.
I know this is an old thread but is Lyon Street okay?
Scumdee is a reference to DUNDEE FC

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending