The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
P.S. They would reject me
Reply 2
Unregistered
You gotta have had a good upbringing to go there, dont matter how clever you are if your scum they will reject you.

Most people don't think of themselves as scum and want to have the best education available in the UK.
Reply 3
Unregistered
You gotta have had a good upbringing to go there, dont matter how clever you are if your scum they will reject you.

Well I ain't posh!
I dont wanna go to oxford or cambridge, was thinking of trying to get accepted though so I could turn them down :smile:
Reply 5
mrmarsupial
I dont wanna go to oxford or cambridge, was thinking of trying to get accepted though so I could turn them down :smile:

You realise that if you did get accepted, you would get a place that someone else really wanted. It wouldn't look like you're so clever you could turn down Oxbridge - you would look like a time waster. If i were you I'd only apply if you really want to get something out of it . If you do it for a joke it would just be hard work for a short laugh, and it would bugger things up for the person who would have got your place if you do get in! And I have to ask, if you got an offer on paper in front of you, all those opportunities - would you want to turn it down? I know some really bright people who have been devastated at not receiving an offer.
Im thinking of applying mainly just to see if i can get in. If i get an offer i dont know what ill do, but cam isnt my first choice really - id rather go somewhere where theres more safe people like maybe warwick or bristol
Reply 7
LSE is better than Oxbridge when studying Economics. So id be hapier with a place there. Depends on wat ur doin' as well! :cool:
Reply 8
It'sPhil...
Im thinking of applying mainly just to see if i can get in. If i get an offer i dont know what ill do, but cam isnt my first choice really - id rather go somewhere where theres more safe people like maybe warwick or bristol

I don't know what 'safe people' are like (I assume they don't watch out for you while you cross the road) so can't comment on that, but take it from me Bristol is not a good place. I live fairly near 'Brizzle' and I really hate it! Many of the students are more stuck up than most people you will find at Oxbridge, the townies have a ghastly accent, and there are some of the roughest areas in the whole of the UK. Warwick is really cool if you don't mind campus life (my cousin went there.)
Reply 9
Bristol has a really high 'Mugging' rate. Not a safe place to be staying for students!
Reply 10
Lord Huntroyde
Most people don't think of themselves as scum and want to have the best education available in the UK.

This is a very short sighted statement, I have visited Cambridge and I don't think that by not applying to Cambridge I am passing up the "best education available". The reason that I will not be applying is because thier course for the degree that want to study for does not appeal to me. It is completely idiotic to suggest that Cambridge offer the BEST education in the UK, they certainly offer one of the most respected and admired (and rightly so in my opinion) but it is not the best for everyone.

In my opinon the best course for the degree I want to study for is offered by Imperial or Bath, this will be vastly different for people looking to go into different areas. For example, if you want a degree in computer science that focuses on CAD then UEA would be an obvious choice, for student interested in artificial intelligence, Manchester or York would be topping the list. I think that idea is that you chose the best education for YOU rather than picking the Uni based purely on its status!!!

Anyway getting back to the thread, if you have the ability to get into Cambridge then I would hope that you would have the mental capacity to understand that you are the equal of everyone else there reguardless of thier upbringing.
Reply 11
Leekey
This is a very short sighted statement, I have visited Cambridge and I don't think that by not applying to Cambridge I am passing up the "best education available". The reason that I will not be applying is because thier course for the degree that want to study for does not appeal to me. It is completely idiotic to suggest that Cambridge offer the BEST education in the UK, they certainly offer one of the most respected and admired (and rightly so in my opinion) but it is not the best for everyone.

In my opinon the best course for the degree I want to study for is offered by Imperial or Bath, this will be vastly different for people looking to go into different areas. For example, if you want a degree in computer science that focuses on CAD then UEA would be an obvious choice, for student interested in artificial intelligence, Manchester or York would be topping the list. I think that idea is that you chose the best education for YOU rather than picking the Uni based purely on its status!!!

Anyway getting back to the thread, if you have the ability to get into Cambridge then I would hope that you would have the mental capacity to understand that you are the equal of everyone else there reguardless of thier upbringing.

Well i shall SECOND that! Well said dude :biggrin:
Reply 12
Leekey

I agree. My brother didn't want to go to Cambridge (he just applied there because my parents are really pushy) and was ecstatic that he got an offer from Imperial because he considers it the best for his course.

Also, some people consider Oxbridge to be a bit shite for medicine because there's practically no patient contact for the first three years. If I wasn't a fanatic of science I wouldn't even consider applying to Oxford.
Reply 13
Lucy
I agree. My brother didn't want to go to Cambridge (he just applied there because my parents are really pushy) and was ecstatic that he got an offer from Imperial because he considers it the best for his course.

Also, some people consider Oxbridge to be a bit shite for medicine because there's practically no patient contact for the first three years. If I wasn't a fanatic of science I wouldn't even consider applying to Oxford.

I actually like the Comp Sci course at Oxford, its the place I dont like :frown: !!! I wonder if they would relocate Oxford Uni somewhere other than Oxford just for me?? If they would do this, Im a big fan of the Newcastle nightlife!!! :wink:
Leekey

Indeed, very well said. Oxbridge courses are not the best thing for everyone, if fact they are very distinctive and therefore there are bound to be many people who won't respond well to them. For example, the Cambridge music course is all academic untill the 3rd year and only then does performing become part of the course. I am a musician (although I did not want to study music at uni!) and I would hate that kind of high theory low perfoming course.
Reply 15
Leekey

But generally speaking, Oxbridge offer the best higher education courses nd are the two best multi-faculty institutions in the UK. So it is hardly short-sighted to say such a thing. I accept that some courses are better from different universities, but we are speaking generally.
Reply 16
Leekey
I actually like the Comp Sci course at Oxford, its the place I dont like :frown: !!!

That was sort of the opposite to me at first. I first preferred the course at the London unis but really loved the atmosphere at Oxford (maybe because I've lived in London for so long!), really busy and felt like a proper town (dare I say compared to Cambridge :tongue: ).

As for Cambridge's music course, I could think of nothing worse than doing loads of theory for three years (I only did my Grade 5 theory and that was because I had to to continue with my performing grades)!
Lucy
That was sort of the opposite to me at first. I first preferred the course at the London unis but really loved the atmosphere at Oxford (maybe because I've lived in London for so long!), really busy and felt like a proper town (dare I say compared to Cambridge :tongue: ).

As for Cambridge's music course, I could think of nothing worse than doing loads of theory for three years (I only did my Grade 5 theory and that was because I had to to continue with my performing grades)!

Exactly my sentiments but as I was applying there for Arch and Anth and not music it didn't present a problem! My point was that some people just wouldn't respond well to an Oxbridge course whilst others would thrive on it.
Haz
You realise that if you did get accepted, you would get a place that someone else really wanted. It wouldn't look like you're so clever you could turn down Oxbridge - you would look like a time waster. If i were you I'd only apply if you really want to get something out of it . If you do it for a joke it would just be hard work for a short laugh, and it would bugger things up for the person who would have got your place if you do get in! And I have to ask, if you got an offer on paper in front of you, all those opportunities - would you want to turn it down? I know some really bright people who have been devastated at not receiving an offer.

I dont care about anyone else, they should have tried harder, wouldn't be my problem, its entirely their own fault. Just becuase in some peoples eyes those universitys are the best they arnt in mine.
Reply 19
Lord Huntroyde
Oxbridge offer the best higher education courses nd are the two best multi-faculty institutions in the UK. So it is hardly short-sighted to say such a thing. I accept that some courses are better from different universities, but we are speaking generally.

Please define "best" !!! :confused:

Im not suggesting that "some courses are better from different universities". Im saying that there are different Uni's offer different courses and people should pick the the one(s) that suits them, the fact that its Cambridge or Oxford offering the course should not be a factor.

Latest

Trending

Trending