The Student Room Group

Mom wants me to apply to Cambridge, I want to apply to Oxford

Hi, I'm a year 12 student going into yr 13 in Sept So I've wanted to apply to Oxford for med for a really long time, it's a goal I've really been working towards and I went to Oxford open day back in june and loved it. I did my ucat in late July and did really well so, my uni choices have been decided for quite a while now and I was feeling really sure of myself and confident. Out of nowhere my mom says that she wants me to apply to Cambridge instead, that she doesn't think I'll be happy at Oxford and that Cambridge takes in more students anyway. I told her that it would be really difficult for me to switch now because I've been so set on Oxford for a while, and asked if we could visit Cambridge but she says that we don't need to visit it to make a decision. I really don't want to apply to Cambridge, especially because I spoke to my ucas advisor before the summer and we discussed my uni choices. And there is literally no reason for me switching other than because my mom said so?? I'm not really sure what to do. Thanks in advance for any advice x
You're right to not change your decision because of one person's opinion, particularly if your mum hasn't attended either.

What I would do is choose one and attend their open day on Friday 15th September (because they have the same open day), and watch videos of people's experiences at the other one. Cambridge would be good to visit, considering you've already learnt a lot about Oxford. You should book the open day soon if you decide to go.

If it doesn't appeal to you, then you can forget about it and have a reason for doing so. If it does, then you can explore it further if you so wish.
If you got into either that'd be amazing.
Reply 3
Stick to the original plan .Tbh any medicine offer anywhere is a blessing and I would make your mother aware of that.If your only offer is Leicester Uni you will take it.The Cambridge admissions is torturous so I see no reason for you to put yourself through it.It is your life not hers.Try and find out her real reasoning because this does not make any sense.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm a year 12 student going into yr 13 in Sept So I've wanted to apply to Oxford for med for a really long time, it's a goal I've really been working towards and I went to Oxford open day back in june and loved it. I did my ucat in late July and did really well so, my uni choices have been decided for quite a while now and I was feeling really sure of myself and confident. Out of nowhere my mom says that she wants me to apply to Cambridge instead, that she doesn't think I'll be happy at Oxford and that Cambridge takes in more students anyway. I told her that it would be really difficult for me to switch now because I've been so set on Oxford for a while, and asked if we could visit Cambridge but she says that we don't need to visit it to make a decision. I really don't want to apply to Cambridge, especially because I spoke to my ucas advisor before the summer and we discussed my uni choices. And there is literally no reason for me switching other than because my mom said so?? I'm not really sure what to do. Thanks in advance for any advice x

You need to talk to her and find out why she thinks Cambridge would be better for you, as her insistence on Cambridge is bizarre. Cambridge is quieter and arguably a bit prettier, but other than that, they are both very similar ie. they are both brilliant unis, and you would almost certainly end up loving whichever one you end up at.

Also, however brilliant you are, there is a good chance that you won't get in to either of them, as they are so competitive. If you get rejected, does you mum really want the thought on her conscious that she ruined your chance of getting into Oxbridge by forcing you to switch?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

Who is the one applying and attending the uni? Ignore your mother ..
Reply 6
It seems to me that she has no basis to suggest that Cambridge would be any better than Oxford in that sense if she has not seen it. The idea that you could made a decision without seeing Cambridge is entirely absurd. Perhaps the only thing she is basing her comments on is some sort of emotional reaction, rather than anything of substance. My advice is to sit down with her and ask exactly what is making her think what she is, and then to take it into account when making your final decision. Do not just choose Cambridge for some arbitrary reason to please your mom.

Obligatory note: Cambridge is also an incredible university so in the end it would likely not make any substantial impact to your education.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending