The Student Room Group

Google could be forced to pay £2.7 billion in compensation to British iPhone users

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Google could be forced to pay over five million iPhone users £2.7 billion in compensation for selling their data without their consent.

The class action case against the ad giant could see US tech giants continuing a trend of paying vastly more in fines and compensation than in taxes, with millions of victims able to sign up to claim their compensation. For reference, Google paid just £6 million in UK taxes in 2011, less than 0.25% of the potential fine for just one of its unlawful activities that affected UK users in that year.

Between June 2011 and February 2012, it is alleged that Google unlawfully harvested the personal information of millions of people in the UK by bypassing the default privacy settings on the Apple iPhone, tricking the default iPhone browser - Safari - to release personal data.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/30/google-could-forced-pay-27-billion-compensation-iphone-users/

:gasp: @04MR17 will like this very much.
Can't say this headline surprises me. I bet they will try to fudge themselves out of it.
Emphasis on the phrase 'could be'. I've heard similar stories in the past and they got away with it then, I don't think much has changed unfortunately.
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
:gasp: @04MR17 will like this very much.
Can't say this headline surprises me. I bet they will try to fudge themselves out of it.
:yy:
:sadnod:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Yeah. It isn't like we can afford to piss off US tech giants before Brexit; if we want to entice them to stay in the UK we'll have to kiss their arses even more vigorously than we have in the past.

This is an indication of things to come. For the next 20 years minimum, Brexit will be the default scapegoat for everything.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending