The Student Room Group

What phone do you have?

I have an iphone se (1st gen) - 2016 model.

Might upgrade in the next year or so. Looking for suggestions on what phone to get 😊🙏🏽

Scroll to see replies

Sony Xperia L2

It was launched in 2018 so it's definitely not a recent model of phone, so I'm not recommending it. An updated Sony though might be worth considering.
I only use non-smartphones.
My favourites are nokia 3330s, nokia 3410s and the samsung keystone series.
Original post by boulderingislife

Might upgrade in the next year or so. Looking for suggestions on what phone to get 😊🙏🏽

iPhone 12 may upgrade to the newest iPhone that comes out this September contract ending anyways due an upgrade but this time outright.
Original post by londonmyst
I only use non-smartphones.
My favourites are nokia 3330s, nokia 3410s and the samsung keystone series.

My backup phone is the nokia 3310 (new style). The battery is awful. Died after two years. Had to order a new one. Old one had swollen up!
i don't have one
My backup phone is the nokia 3310 (new style). The battery is awful. Died after two years. Had to order a new one. Old one had swollen up!

The new style nokia versions of the pre-2005 classics are terrible low quality imitations of the originals.
Lousy battery life, leaks, super fragile glass screens and charging ports that crack within months.
Original post by Mohammed_80
iPhone 12 may upgrade to the newest iPhone that comes out this September contract ending anyways due an upgrade but this time outright.

My last three phones have been iphone. I’m a big iphone fan but the prices are silly. I think i might get a second hand one off ebay to save money. The new price of an iphone is a rip off imo. Also i have never had a phone contract. I always get payg.

If you actually want a decent phone that’s budget go for either xiaomi one plus or Samsung phones - if you want an iPhone go for at least an iPhone 12
Android one
GPO 746 Rotary

All the cool kids have em'.
Motorola E30

Iphone 7+
My last three phones have been iphone. I’m a big iphone fan but the prices are silly. I think i might get a second hand one off ebay to save money. The new price of an iphone is a rip off imo. Also i have never had a phone contract. I always get payg.

Yeah massive mistake of mine to take out a pay monthly on EE who just scam you and the price plan for an iPhone is just ridiculous. Should have bought it outright.
Yeah massive mistake of mine to take out a pay monthly on EE who just scam you and the price plan for an iPhone is just ridiculous. Should have bought it outright.

Yer all contracts seem like scams tbh. I do the full maths of every good looking contract i see and i quickly realise that buying the phone outright is still cheaper! So i’ve come to the conclusion it’s always cheaper to buy a phone outright and get a contract separately if you need one. :smile:

Btw i’m looking for a new iphone in the next year or so. Should i get the 12,13 or 14? Want it to last 5 years. Will it last 5 years or will apple stop supporting the software?
Yer all contracts seem like scams tbh. I do the full maths of every good looking contract i see and i quickly realise that buying the phone outright is still cheaper! So i’ve come to the conclusion it’s always cheaper to buy a phone outright and get a contract separately if you need one. :smile:

Btw i’m looking for a new iphone in the next year or so. Should i get the 12,13 or 14? Want it to last 5 years. Will it last 5 years or will apple stop supporting the software?

Apple would still support the software I’d look between the 14 and 15 maybe do a technical comparison looking at the current specs and the specification that’s comes out and look at the requirement to why you need the phone dependent on that I would then make a purchase.
Apple would still support the software I’d look between the 14 and 15 maybe do a technical comparison looking at the current specs and the specification that’s comes out and look at the requirement to why you need the phone dependent on that I would then make a purchase.

To be honest my iphone se 1st gen is still fine atm. Just keeping an open mine about the next phone for when this one is on its last leg. Replaced the battery a year and a half ago so battery is ok for now. Won’t replace the battery again unless apple extends the support on my device which i don’t think they will (too old).

In terms of new iphone i think for me it’s about finding the balance between cost and longevity. Ie old enough to be cheap but still got 4 or 5 years support left from apple. Ideally want to spend around the £300 mark for a second hand iphone. Maybe a bit more if it’s newer and future proofed. Can’t see myself spending more than £400 on an iphone though
(edited 1 year ago)
To be honest my iphone se 1st gen is still fine atm. Just keeping an open mine about the next phone for when this one is on its last leg. Replaced the battery a year and a half ago so battery is ok for now. Won’t replace the battery again unless apple extends the support on my device which i don’t think they will (too old).

In terms of new iphone i think for me it’s about finding the balance between cost and longevity. Ie old enough to be cheap but still got 4 or 5 years support left from apple. Ideally want to spend around the £300 mark for a second hand iphone. Maybe a bit more if it’s newer and future proofed. Can’t see myself spending more than £400 on an iphone though

Considered iphone 8 maybe?
(edited 1 year ago)
Considered iphone 8 maybe?

"The iPhone 8 was released on September 22, 2017" according to google - i'm happy to spend a bit more to get something with more longevity. From release date, do you know how many years on average apple supports their phones? is it 8 years?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending