The Student Room Group

Man sentenced to 15 years in prison for breaking into Mosque and vandalising it

Scroll to see replies

Sorry, what's a soul? And why is it valuable?
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
You're offering me an eternally unseen versus an eternally unseen.

Please tell me what a soul is.
Original post by FriendlyPenguin

He has an eternity in hellfire afterwards too.

Mashallah!
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Do not compare this crime to a bodily crime.

This man tried to cause spiritual harm to those of the muslim faith. A soul is eternal, but a body is just a temporary vessel. Thus spiritual violence is much worse than physical violence.

I didn't know people can be this stupid.

Original post by TheBBQ
He should be rewarded, not punished.

Agreed!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 25
Wonder if he broke into a vegan restaurant and left bacon all over the place would he get 15 years in prison? of course not.

Strange how insulting a belief is of limits because its a religion.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/12/06/mosque-vandalism-hate-crime-bacon/926811001/

A Florida man who broke into a mosque and left a slab of raw bacon now faces 15 years in prison after pleading guilty to charges, the state attorney's office said.

Michael Wolfe, 37, of Titusville, Fla., will serve 15 years in state prison, followed by 15 years probation for the January 2016 crime at the Islamic Society of Central Florida Masjid Al-Munin Mosque in Titusville.

Prosecutors said the agreement was reached after discussions with the Islamic Society of Central Florida and Titusville police. “He entered a plea deal and plead guilty to vandalizing the mosque itself with hate crime enhancement, making it a felony,” said Todd Brown, a spokesman for the State Attorney’s Office. “He waived his right to a pre-sentencing investigation.”

@Ninja Squirrel

This headline is very misleading. He wasn't sentenced solely for leaving bacon, he was sentenced for vandalising property.

From the article:

"Police said Wolfe broke into the mosque, ripping down lights, smashing windows and leaving behind the pork product. Pork"
Original post by JMR2017
@Ninja Squirrel

This headline is very misleading. He wasn't sentenced solely for leaving bacon, he was sentenced for vandalising property.

From the article:

"Police said Wolfe broke into the mosque, ripping down lights, smashing windows and leaving behind the pork product. Pork"

I've just pasted the same headline the news article made but I guess I'll update it.
Original post by Bulletzone
The maximum sentence for:

Placing explosives with intent to cause bodily injury Offences against the Person Act 1861 s.30 14 years

*Places Bacon in a mosque*
*Gets 15 Years*

I'm not saying he should not have been jailed, but 15 years is too excessive. 5 Years (Max) would have been fine.

You are comparing a US sentence with UK sentencing guidelines.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
I've just pasted the same headline the news article made but I guess I'll update it.

Not criticising you mate, it's a normal thing newspapers due for clickbait. Merci!
Original post by JMR2017
Not criticising you mate, it's a normal thing newspapers due for clickbait. Merci!

It's fine, the title field has a limited character length so sometimes I cannot type a full description and have to give a brief summary. I think vandalism is more accurate title anyway. Thanks for pointing it out.
/r/FloridaMan
Original post by Bulletzone
The maximum sentence for:

Placing explosives with intent to cause bodily injury Offences against the Person Act 1861 s.30 14 years

*Places Bacon in a mosque*
*Gets 15 Years*

I'm not saying he should not have been jailed, but 15 years is too excessive. 5 Years (Max) would have been fine.

It's the US not the UK.

And this is just one charge, if hypothetically they were convicted of attempted terrorism it'd be far worse.
You can't say the sentence is wrong unless you know what his criminal history is and what those who commit similar offenses receive.

I believe in strong property rights so the fact he even broke into a private building means he should receive 15 years without the aggravating issue of there having been a hate crime.

I have no sympathy.
Original post by JMR2017
@Ninja Squirrel

From the article:

Pretty much answered my above point. He totally deserved 15 years (possibly more) and he should serve it in full.
I find this judgement hypocritical from people whose ancestors all but wiped out the indigenous people.
15 years is just too much in my opinion, even if he is a repeat offender. I hope they have a good rehabilitation programme over there, look into the reason behind his crime and such.
Reply 37
Seriously can't stop laughing

i mean that must suck beyond belief but LMFAO at leaving bacon in a mosque, that makes one hell of a title.
Reply 38
The bacon ought to be totally irrelevant. The crime was vandalism and should be sentenced as reasonably such. 15 years is ridiculous for vandalism.
Original post by Reue
The bacon ought to be totally irrelevant. The crime was vandalism and should be sentenced as reasonably such. 15 years is ridiculous for vandalism.

Apparently he was a repeat offender, some people just don't learn so you have to hand our increasingly harsher sentences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending