The Student Room Group

Maastricht University is THE WORST

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey Kayprovsky,After making my way through the thread, your comment gave me the final push to reject my UM offer, and instead accept the UvA one. I was having trouble deciding between the two for a week now, but finally i had the mental courage to go for UvA despite the kinda scuffed housing situation. Thank you!Kind regardsM
Sounds like you just didn't have the level for UM's master's lol. I had a blast personally, and the uni is well renowned.
If I may add to your input (hopefully that can help other students thinking of applying too), I tend to agree with your overall statement.

I am doing a law master (Law and Globalisation) here at Maastricht University and I do feel that a lot is wrong with this uni. I won't go over the ones you already mentioned (administration being amazingly low and unconsistent, teachers having no care whatsoever about their students and taking sometimes more than 1 month to answer to inquiries...), but I will add some.

What striked me the most is the lack of guidance and the lack of support for students. You hardly get guidances for courses/tutorials/exams, it is impossible to find any past exam papers to get acquainted with what is expected of you (some teachers will give you some though, it depends on your lecturers). I failed one of my course at the beginning of the year and because exams are taken online now (in person but on laptops -> small note: the keyboard is a QWERTY so for me that is French and used to write on AZERTY, the exam was really difficult, imagine having only 3 hours, being stressed and on top of that keeping on writing Q instead of A... anyway), there was almost three months before my first taking of the exam and the resit. Obviously I was not sure anymore of what I wrote in my exam, so I've asked to get access to my exam (when the results are published, you have a few days where the site is open, then they close it for some reason), and they refused! To give me access to my own paper! Apparently, uni policies.. my lecturer confirmed he found it very dumb but was forced to apply it.

Moreover, regarding the thesis, you only have 1 hour lecture to explain to you how it works. Then it is you and yourself only! Impossible to find supervisors (most of them are booked before the year even begins one teacher told me), and when you do find one, you have to change your topic 5 times because it does not correspond to their speciality (it might be dumb but in my view either you get assigned a supervisor that you know from the start so you choose your topic in accordance, either you have to search for a supervisor but they adapt to you?). Anyway, I really struggled with writing my thesis and most supervisors don't give a **** about you and your struggles.

Finally, the workload. Being in law, Idk if it is the same for everyone. But for me, I had at least 2 courses by period and for each courses I had between 100 and 300 pages to read each week (and as you can guess law are not the easiest readings so it takes some time lol) 2 hours lecture some recorded videos to watch (betwen 30min and 1h30/2h, really depends on the course) preparing the tutorial in itself, which takes at least a few hours. That was a hell of a lot, and I really had down times during the year where I would just spend 10 hours per day at the library every day and do nothing else.
On the PBL (problem based learning) I really agree! I find the concept pretty cool BUT the problem is that the professor is most of the times not really paying attention to what is said, therefore you end up with writing down wrong things that other students have said in the tutorial. That is partly why I went to the resit the first time because I wrote down and studied what was said in tutorial and 1/3 of it was wrong and had not been corrected by the professor (managed to get the notes of a friend for the resit and pass with high flags with the correct information). Makes you wonder why they are really being paid to do... Plus it can be very stressful experience to go in tutorials when you are someone that is rather shy/not sure of your answers.

The last thing I want to point out is the rythm. Here you have 5 to 6 periods during the year of 8 weeks. This means that you have exams every 8 weeks. So in addition to the workload I pointed out above, you have to start preparing for your exams at week 5/6/7 and then you do your exam, (for some periods I did not have a break between exam week and the new period starting so you would litterally be exhausted with everything but having to start a new period and new courses right after), and then you start your new period. This can be very very tiring and I was genuinely so close to drop out on so many occasions (even though having done two law bachelors, for which I graduated with high honours, so I am pretty used to high workload).

Bottom line, I have absolutely loved the content of my courses here, and the master is a good master. I wouldn't say I don't regret coming here. I would say that if you think about coming here, you have to think it through and be ready to put your life on hold for one year, and a very intensive year (for masters at least).

Also if you don't speak dutch, good luck with everything!! It can be really difficult here when you are not dutch (finding accommodation, fill in administrative papers, requesting subsidies, trying to work...). In any case, good luck in your studies to everyone looking at that post :smile: I am so happy to be almost done with it haha!!!
(edited 2 years ago)
Your experience doesn't sound good. It is the opposite experience I had when I did my Bachelors degree there. I loved it, it was the best decision I ever made. Yes, the workload is a lot, but you get regular tutorials with your tutors which is far more time any UK student gets with theirs. And when I applied for disability support it was very easy and all the staff were lovely and supportive.
Hey! I'm planning on going to Maastricht for MSP this September and got onto TSR to ask how the visa procedure works for A level applicants and saw this - i haven't had so many breakdowns in 15 mins ever lol.Are these problems still just as prevalent? I was really excited for PBL but I was under the impression that professors would conduct those too. I'm very confused about my choice, so any guidance would help! Also has anyone tried transferring to another uni from UM for bachelors'? Is that advisable?Thanks for your help!
Original post by Sm.c11
Hey! I'm planning on going to Maastricht for MSP this September and got onto TSR to ask how the visa procedure works for A level applicants and saw this - i haven't had so many breakdowns in 15 mins ever lol.Are these problems still just as prevalent? I was really excited for PBL but I was under the impression that professors would conduct those too. I'm very confused about my choice, so any guidance would help! Also has anyone tried transferring to another uni from UM for bachelors'? Is that advisable?Thanks for your help!

Hi there, from someone who also did A-Levels before attending UM (Law Fac tho) it is a step up from the level of studying you had to do at A-Level, my friends who attended unis in the UK had a significantly lower workload than I did - including friends at Oxbridge! Often it's the relentlessness of the exam periods that get to people, the 8 week periods (pretty sure its the same at MSP) do take a toll. Someone told me before I went that it's a bit of a marmite situation, some love it and stay well beyond their bachelors, and others leave asap (me). Meeting people is really hard because there's no student housing and I'm sure that's only got worse for UK students post-Brexit as the landlords love to pick and choose which nationality they're accepting that year. The people who seem to be having the best time are those at FASOS or UCM to be honest.

Help with Dutch admin things outside of uni does tend to be quite easy, but the administration in the university proper is extremely poor and no one really cares if you pass or fail. Pastoral care at my current university (UK) has been so baffling to me that I'm almost scared of it.

Overall, if you're already set on Maastricht you're going to do it. You just have to decide whether you're prepared to have a very different (and harder) three years than your peers studying in different places. Sorry I couldn't be more positive!!
Hey, I am planning on doing a Bachelor in the Netherlands because I have EU and UK citizenship. I get my predicted Grades in October and I think I will get A*A B/C not sure about the last one lol. I would like to study Econometrics at either Erasmus, Maastricht, Tilburg and Amsterdam hence why I stumbled across this...What do you personally recommend? From what I am hearing UoA and Tilburg seem to be the best with Erasmus close behind however before reading this I thought Maastricht was pretty prestigious and on their level. Glad I read this to be honest. Any words of advice?*I have EU citizenship therefore I only pay 2,209 Euros per year which saves me a tonne of money hence why I do not want to study in the UK.
WOW! thanks for your detailed review. I am thinking of some options in the Netherlands. What would you suggest to going for product management or business administration?
I am currently having the worst experience at Maastricht University. I picked the masters of forensics, criminology and law. This was my second masters as I found it really interesting. The organisation is absolute crap and while some tutors are helpful and kind, some have an unacceptably rude attitude which I have never seen before in my previous five years of academic experience. My thesis supervisor failed my thesis and when I have tried to talk to him and respond to his feedback, he never replied to any of my questions, was overall hostile, passive aggressive, unhelpful and, to top it all up, smug about his behaviour. I have gone through a mediation meeting already where his behaviour continued to be hostile, he kept interrupting me and attempting to blindsight me while continuing to refuse to answer my questions on his generic feedback. The mediators allowed him as well to continue to speak to me that way, allowed him to interrupt me and to be overall rude throughout the whole meeting. I am overall disgusted by this experience and have never experienced such rudeness and coarseness and bullying from a tutor before. I am currently trying to find justice, however I don't think that's gonna happen taking into consideration that there is no student support and the whole system seems to be faulty. Also, grading throughout the masters was completely random and no anonymity measures took place which allowed some obvious favouritism to take place. If you consider doing a masters in forensics , criminology and law at Maastricht, do yourself a favour and don't. Apply instead for the criminology masters in Utrecht, a far better and reputable university. It will also offer you more opportunities as Maastricht university is not nearly as good as they claim to be.
Maastricht University is a complete pain in the ASS experience for many international students. Our cohort had to write an open letter to the Board of Examiners for the inhuman treatment and harassment meted out to international students. I SUPPORT THIS BLOG. Thank you for pouring your heart out.
Nobody deserves this harassment after paying six times more tuition fees than a EU citizen.
AND MAASTRICHT UNIVERSITY DELIBERATELY TARGETS INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS SO THAT THEY CAN CONTINUE TO HAVE HIGH INFLUX OF FOREIGN MONEY, WHICH THEY NEED FROM US.
Original post by SelfReliance101
Yeah same here, I did the Bachelor (Psychology), as well as the Research Master Cognitive Neuroscience and I'm now finishing the Ph.D. at the same faculty. I've also studied at Universities Tübingen (Germany), UC Irvine (USA), and Oxford (UK) as an exchange student.It is true that the bureaucracy in Maastricht tends to be somewhat stiff and almost Kafkaesque at times. I've had many problems over the years that would leave me in a pinch. However, all could be resolved when you kept talking to the people in a friendly way, and in person. There are always people you can go to and I've never seen someone fail because something wasn't resolved. Personally, having taught in Maastricht for several years, I honestly have my suspicions that you might have come across as somewhat entitled, which is something that will lead to exactly the kind of problems you describe.There is a big difference between the universities I visited when it comes to how much independence and self-reliance is required. My experience was that American universities cater more to students as a teaching institution, whereas European universities are more focused on research. When you go to a University like Boulder, (or UC Irvine) you get a lot of time from the professors, that was really surprising to me. Also, you get the amenities on on-campus living and such. The teachers at European Universities I think spend more of their energy on research. As a teacher, I expected my students to be self-organized in a way and my impression is that your problems were, at least in part, caused by a mismatch in expectation and reality with regards to what the University will do for you. You're right that UM is definitely overselling itself when it comes to the quality of their stewardship. You will not get as much help with housing and organizing your coursework etc as promised. Also, I've seen many problems with the organization. Also, the problem-based-learning approach needs some getting used to if you haven't done your undergraduate in Maastricht as well.Plus, and I include myself in that group to some degree, some teachers have a very low tolerance for students that bicker over problems like yours because we have actual research to do. That doesn't mean that our problems are more important than yours, but it's a hard reality of working in research today. As a Ph.D. student (which comprises the majority of TAs) you have to publish. That is your main concern. And I'm sorry if your professors didn't give you your grades on time, found place for you to live, or helped you fill out formst, that was surely an unpleasant experience. However, if this is the tone you used when voicing concerns or asking for help, I suspect that the organizational structure of UM is the sole reason for the lack of quality of your experience. That being said, having spent a long time in Maastricht and also having visited other Universities I know that UM was the right university for me. The problem-based-learning approach definitely was a big advantage (for me) and the quality of the teachers in the RM program (with some exceptions for SURE) was top notch. Most of my professors were really enthusiastic about their field, loved teaching and you learned a lot. The program is very fixed compared to US or German universities, which is also something not everyone likes. For me, that was an advantage, as I could prove myself that I could also work myself through courses I wouldn't otherwise have picked on my own, and I grew a lot through this experience.It is clear that UM is not for everyone. But if you're motivated, self-reliant, and resource-oriented you can gain a lot from this institution. They ask a little more of you than you might like, and some challenges are just plain unnecessary, but they also work really hard at improving. I also know that UM graduates are highly regarded and able. I doubt that your experience would have differed had you gone to a different Dutch university.

It's funny you say this university focuses more on research when most of the research coming from this university is widely recognized as being poor quality.
Reply 31
Original post by OdaFPN
To anyone considering applying to Maastricht university, DON'T!This university is an absolute horror show. From the administration, to the professors (note some of the professors are really lovely and really try), to their facilities, to their examination procedure, almost everything sucks! Maastricht had been my first choice university for my masters since my first year as a bachelor student, so I was super excited when I got accepted. Unfortunately, this excitement subsided after my first week at Maastricht. Here are some of the many reasons for why I, and many of my co-years hate it here: 1. The administration. At first their administration seemed quick and efficient - their admissions office is really good at quickly signing up students. But after I had accepted my spot the troubles started. They wouldn't sign the forms I needed to apply to financial support from my country (because for some reason that was against their policy), they wouldn't give me my student card, even though I asked for it 3 times a month for over 6 months, their communication is slow and rarely answers your questions, and many other instances that almost drove me and other students to tears in frustration. 2. The have so many random rules, and bureaucracy, that no-one can remember, so things are extremely slow, and nothing ever works and staff are afraid to make decisions because they're not sure if they're complying with the rules. E.g. Remember how I didn't get my student card. During the exam period the library is overcrowded, su students have to show their student card to prove they're studying at UM. I did bring my letter of enrolment and passport, to show that I did study at UM, but was not let into the library,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending