The Student Room Group

cambelt and water pump replaced, drove car home now not starting ?

I've had my car a 57 Vauxhall Vectra c 1.9 CDTI for 8 months, it's been the most reliable car I've owned despite not being the most expensive. I had the timing belt and water pump replaced yesterday in Manchester by a home mechanic, 30 miles from where I am. When he started the car after the work it ran fine no problem at his home for about 30 minutes while he left it idling to bleed the air out, then I drove home 30 miles without any problems. same night after it had been parked about 2 hours I went to start the engine but it just turned over, it sounded normal no unusual noises but wouldn't start. Today I disconnected the battery, went to start the engine and it made a noise like clatter or something, I immediately took key out and have not started it since. Somebody said they'll have a look tomorrow, though this person's reliability to arrive is in question. he says he'll try turning the crank, if it turns with his hand everything is fine, is that correct ? what do you think the problem may be, if ti was a timing problem would it not have displayed symptoms right away ? thanks
Reply 1
It sounds like the timing belt is off.
Original post by Xopher_
It sounds like the timing belt is off.

but it ran fine on start up and 30 miles back. do you think it will be okay and can be realigned ?
Reply 3
Original post by Cleverboy1991
but it ran fine on start up and 30 miles back. do you think it will be okay and can be realigned ?

I'm not sure honestly. Try and google engine not starting after water pump replacement. Maybe something was loose, which caused it to stop working once you tried to start it again. It takes quite a lot to start an engine, however once they're running they're self sufficient, which is probably why it didn't just stop working on the way back.
(edited 6 years ago)
I've had my car a 57 Vauxhall Vectra c 1.9 CDTI for 8 months, it's been the most reliable car I've owned despite not being the most expensive. I had the timing belt and water pump replaced yesterday in Manchester by a home mechanic, 30 miles from where I am. When he started the car after the work it ran fine no problem at his home for about 30 minutes while he left it idling to bleed the air out, then I drove home 30 miles without any problems. same night after it had been parked about 2 hours I went to start the engine but it just turned over, it sounded normal no unusual noises but wouldn't start. Today I disconnected the battery, went to start the engine and it made a noise like clatter or something, I immediately took key out and have not started it since. Somebody said they'll have a look tomorrow, though this person's reliability to arrive is in question. he says he'll try turning the crank, if it turns with his hand everything is fine, is that correct ? what do you think the problem may be, if ti was a timing problem would it not have displayed symptoms right away ? thanks

Please don't double post on the same topic, your last thread can be found here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5140506

Realistically, if you took it to a garage it would've saved you this whole hassle. Yes, I understand you haven't had the best experiences with garages, but take it to another reputable garage if you don't like a previous garage.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Please don't double post on the same topic, your last thread can be found here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5140506

Realistically, if you took it to a garage it would've saved you this whole hassle. Yes, I understand you haven't had the best experiences with garages, but take it to another reputable garage if you don't like a previous garage.

I didn't intend to create another thread on this we site about it, I wanted to post it on yahoo answers but the site is down so instead of loosing all my description I wrote it here and I can copy and paste it to yahoo answer once their site is back up and running
I didn't intend to create another thread on this we site about it, I wanted to post it on yahoo answers but the site is down so instead of loosing all my description I wrote it here and I can copy and paste it to yahoo answer once their site is back up and running

Absolute BS.

The exact same question was posted yesterday and you were given multiple and very adequate answers.

You are a very poor troll.

I had the timing belt and water pump replaced today on my 57 plate Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTI.

I had somebody 30 miles away do it for me after finding them on the internet offering their services, he works from home but has no transport of his own.
After cam belt it started fine, I drove home 30 miles with no problems. However I went to start the car after it had been parked a few hours and it is only turning over but not starting.

any ideas as to why ?
Original post by uberteknik
Absolute BS.

The exact same question was posted yesterday and you were given multiple and very adequate answers.

You are a very poor troll.

URM, WHAT THE ACTUAL **** ARE YOU ON ABOUT?
yes I posted a thread about it yesterday, I said I didn't intend to create 2 threads on the studentroom about it.

I went to go on yahoo answers but says page down I think so I decided to post it here instead of loosing the description and I can copy and paste it took yahoo when it's working, this description is a bit different than the other thread description.

Thinking of it I could have edited the other thread and pasted it there.

But anyway, no big deal nobody has died as a result of it so stop crying about it 😢

Now I'm very tired and need my sleep as I've been awake worrying about this for the last 48 hours
URM, WHAT THE ACTUAL **** ARE YOU ON ABOUT?
yes I posted a thread about it yesterday, I said I didn't intend to create 2 threads on the studentroom about it.

I went to go on yahoo answers but says page down I think so I decided to post it here instead of loosing the description and I can copy and paste it took yahoo when it's working, this description is a bit different than the other thread description.

Thinking of it I could have edited the other thread and pasted it there.

But anyway, no big deal nobody has died as a result of it so stop crying about it 😢

Now I'm very tired and need my sleep as I've been awake worrying about this for the last 48 hours

Please be mature. You could've easily pasted the OP in notes or some other similar app.

But as I don't want to start any sort of argument, this thread will be closed. Any further discussion on this topic can be continued here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5140506

Latest

Trending

Trending