The Student Room Group

English Lit, History and Film Studies A-Levels

what do you think about this a level combination? Will it be beneficial for me as I am unsure of if I want to go into fashion, film, journalism or law?
Reply 1
Original post by skz123
what do you think about this a level combination? Will it be beneficial for me as I am unsure of if I want to go into fashion, film, journalism or law?

Hi,
I am in my second year of A levels studying English Lit, History and German, and I’ve applied to study Law in uni.

I would say that your combination is definitely a good one if you’re unsure of what you want to study later. It really all depends on which you’re most drawn to: fashion film journalism law etc.

If you really want to do fashion then I would recommend taking Art or Graphic Design as I don’t think you’d get into a fashion course without a substantial portfolio.

If you’re intent on doing film then definitely keep the film studies but some unis would definitely see it as a weaker subject if you were to example go on to apply for law.
Reply 2
Original post by skz123

this combination is quite cool actually. i take english lit, politics and classics and am actually applying to study classics at uni lol, but i like your variety. your personal statement could actually be more unique depending on what course you do at uni 🙂
i wish i took something like film studies or media studies too haha
Original post by skz123

Those subjects are definitely good for law. Double check the other courses on the unis websites to see if there's any subject they specify for the others. But id imagine those options should be fine.
Original post by skz123

Hi @skz123

This is generally a really good mix of subjects for your chosen route. History and English Lit are great all-rounder options that show your ability to analyse texts and write essays, which are key to Journalism and Law. I studied Journalism at University of Gloucestershire and my A-levels in English Lit, History and English Language really set me up well for the course.

If you were set on fashion, I would recommend a Textiles or Arts course, unless you have experience in the area and a portfolio to back you up.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your decision!

Mara 🙂
University of Gloucestershire

Quick Reply

Latest