The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Housing

Urgh, is anyone else having trouble getting housing for next year sorted?

The whole things seems so overly complicated and a complete mess. I have a feeling i'm going to end up homeless.

There's fallouts and then people who drop out and then more housemate hunting and then someone else thinks of dropping out and then you lose the house you wanted and then you're finding another housemate then you find one and then people don't like them then there's fallouts and then people who drop out and then more housemate hunting and then someone else thinks of dropping out and then you lose the house you wanted and then you're finding another housemate then you find one and then people don't like them then there's fallouts and then people who drop out and then more housemate hunting and then someone else thinks of dropping out and then you lose the house you wanted and then you're finding another housemate then you find one and then people don't like them then there's fallouts and then people who drop out and then more housemate hunting and then someone else thinks of dropping out and then you lose the house you wanted and then you're finding another housemate then you find one and then people don't like them....... :smile:

It should be sooo simple. *stresssses*
Lol I think that's the longest sentence I've ever read! Especially with no commas or anything!

I had great trouble with housemate/house hunting both years. There's still plenty of time to find a house tho :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
You've got aaaages. The housing list only came out the other day.
Reply 3
I signed the contract a week and a half ago, but then we were looking for an 8 so had to move quickly.Our group has had so much less trouble than some of my friends though, there's been some major bitching/fallouts over housing this term.

I do know people who're gonna be living next to Ziggy's though, that amuses me heh heh :biggrin:
Reply 4
I signed my contract about a week ago, but we went through a non-student letting agency. Which basically means we had to pay £175 each in fees but get a seriously nice house for a ridiculously low price, i think it works out at £57 pwpp =D Which over the course of the year saves roughly £400-£500 compared to a sinclair property.
Reply 5
Went with a private landlord last year, a few text messages and I have first priority on the house for next year too, just as soon as new housemates are sorted. Hakuna matata, no sense in pulling your hair out over stuff like this.
I would have had this problem, but I'm going to california.

Najs.

Sorry :P.
Reply 7
Redemption

Najs.

Good for you! :smile:
My housemates are all sorted now.... we just need a good six bed house.

I'm applying for my third year to california, hope I get it!
Just take your time with looking for houses - and if at the end of the day you haven't found somewhere by the start of summer, don't worry at all, there will be loads of odd rooms everywhere that you can find.

Moving from my second year to third year I had to find a room on my own as my housemates had all gone back in to uni accommodation and I didn't get a place. I had a huge amount of choice really and had to turn a couple of groups down in the end. The the next year we had a spare room in our house and didn't actually get that many people coming to look as there were loads and loads of adverts out for a spare room.

So the options will be there for you, but it's also very early and York has a load of student houses to go around :smile:

If anyone ends up living in Badger Hill (Sussex Road), Harcourt Street (at the end of Fifth Avenue), Francis Street of Fulford Road, near the river) or on Etty Avenue (off Alcuin Avenue, near Tang Hall Lane), speak up as I've lived in all those locations and I could tell you what the places are like :smile:
Housing issues are so fun.
A bit of drama to spice things up never did anybody any harm. :biggrin:

Redemption

Najs.

Is it UCLA?
I have a friend from york who is doing that exchange thingy at the moment.
Reply 10
I'm going to be living near Efes v_v
Reply 11
Imster
I'm going to be living near Efes v_v

We were looking at a house near Efes.

We've found a house now, and with some truely awesome people.

£60 a week in fulford, nice large house, double beds etc Thankyouverymuch.
Reply 12
kexy
We were looking at a house near Efes.

We've found a house now, and with some truely awesome people.

£60 a week in fulford, nice large house, double beds etc Thankyouverymuch.

That had better not be the perfect one I viewed the other day and didn't get :hmmm:
Reply 13
WarmSound
That had better not be the perfect one I viewed the other day and didn't get :hmmm:

Who was it with? How many bedrooms etc?
Reply 14
-CBee-
I do know people who're gonna be living next to Ziggy's though, that amuses me heh heh :biggrin:

We are living in an eight-person house next year, and we did look at that house. An absolutely incredible house... five floors and a spiral staircase all the way to the top. It had problems though... the noise at night, no central heating, lots of pidgeons, and high rent. We managed to find an eight-person house on Newland Park Drive instead.

At the moment I'm living in a six-person house in Acomb... it'll be nice not to have to walk this journey everyday next year (last term it wasn't so bad when we could take the FTR for £1.50... but they jacked the price of a single up to £2.50 this term so we just don't use it anymore)!
Reply 15
I looked at the Ziggy's house right before the people who bought it did, I really hated it actually. Expensive to heat, no double glazing to block out noise and no windows in the lounge. Bit of a dive really.
Reply 16
kexy
Who was it with? How many bedrooms etc?

3 bedrooms, I viewed it with the owner but the people who got it saw it through some agency last wednesday. Am I going to have to kill you?
Reply 17
Mods - please feel free to get rid of this if it's against forum rules.

I'm currently a final-year student at York Uni and have a 5-bedroomed house on Fifth Avenue that I'm looking to rent out for the next academic year. If anyone is interested please send me a private message and I'll give details. Thanks.
Reply 18
Oh, avoid Sinclair's at all costs btw! This Nouse article (and the comments) sum it up well: http://www.nouse.co.uk/2008/02/20/oblivious-of-our-rights-and-sleepwalking-into-property-contracts

Latest

Trending

Trending