The Student Room Group

Eligibility/ entitlement to Council housing

Am i entitled or eligable for council housing if i am a homeless student who is 21, estranged since 2020, receiving DSA (disability allowance) and personal independence payment?

I suffer from depression and anxiety. I am on prescribed high doses of antidepressants.
Original post by Hedoo123
Am i entitled or eligable for council housing if i am a homeless student who is 21, estranged since 2020, receiving DSA (disability allowance) and personal independence payment?

I suffer from depression and anxiety. I am on prescribed high doses of antidepressants.

What does Google tell you?
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
What does Google tell you?

Honestly i am not sure. Mixed information
I presume this would depend on the housing policy of whatever local council you fall under.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
I presume this would depend on the housing policy of whatever local council you fall under.

Im enquiring for London, Waltham forest borough
Reply 6

If you are a student, why are you homeless and not in some form of uni or other accommodation? Are you actually studying?
Reply 7

Get in contact with Citizen's Advice. Is there no way you can help yourself? I can't help feel that going down the social services route is a one way street with little opportunities to get out.
The link provided to your local council website is very helpful.

Please also note that there is a housing advice charity called Shelter that is useful for you to understand your rights and the council's obligations.
Please also get in touch with your student support and advice team at yoir college or uni.
There are exceptions listed but it appears that most applicants require a local connection to apply to the council

"Anyone over the age of 18 who has been resident in the Borough of Waltham Forest for at least five years can apply to join the housing list."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending