The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get allocated council housing?

I am a local living in eastern Scotland. I applied for council housing last month and have been included in the housing register of my council area. I didn't grow up in the country but have come back for a few years and never left the country once since then, much because of chronic illnesses.

How hard is it to get allocated council housing? Do I need to wait for years to have a chance? What is the chance of rejection?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Very, even if you're in a priority group.Especially if you have somewhere to live rn.
Reply 2
Original post by ROTL94 4
Very, even if you're in a priority group.Especially if you have somewhere to live rn.

I am becoming homeless though.
Reply 3
Not sure on the rules in scotlamd, but in england you arnt bumped to the top of the list until you are physically homeless, and even then it depends on your circumstances as to why you became homeless.
Im presuming your single with no dependants, so again you wont be at the top of the list.
It can take years to get a house through the council. I presume your looking privately? Also look into housing assosiations, and house shares.

Being homeless sucks big time.
Reply 4
Original post by PonchoKid
Not sure on the rules in scotlamd, but in england you arnt bumped to the top of the list until you are physically homeless, and even then it depends on your circumstances as to why you became homeless.
Im presuming your single with no dependants, so again you wont be at the top of the list.
It can take years to get a house through the council. I presume your looking privately? Also look into housing assosiations, and house shares.

Being homeless sucks big time.

I am trying my best to get a private room in where I am living and about to go to homeless. The Council did say they could give temporary accommodation once NTQ was received, but I am ambivalent about that since I have heard folks saying that those temporary accommodation was full of drug addicts. My parents aren't living in Britain and they are my only source of finance as well given that I am also jobless as a result of my chronic illnesses.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am trying my best to get a private room in where I am living and about to go to homeless. The Council did say they could give temporary accommodation once NTQ was received, but I am ambivalent about that since I have heard folks saying that those temporary accommodation was full of drug addicts. My parents aren't living in Britain and they are my only source of finance as well given that I am also jobless as a result of my chronic illnesses.

So why are you facing being homeless? You have funds behind you, so what alternative accommodation have you considered, apart from where you are now? Are you getting the correct benefits for your situation?
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
So why are you facing being homeless? You have funds behind you, so what alternative accommodation have you considered, apart from where you are now? Are you getting the correct benefits for your situation?

If someone would only have the choice to stay in hotel once they get removed from their current housing, they are considered as homeless as per the council's definitions
Reply 7
I am becoming homeless though.

If you become homeless, the council will put you up in temporary accommodation. But that might be B+B. Rather than wait for things to happen to you, is there any way you can be proactive and help yourself?
Reply 8
Original post by hotpud
If you become homeless, the council will put you up in temporary accommodation. But that might be B+B. Rather than wait for things to happen to you, is there any way you can be proactive and help yourself?

The housing situation is very bad in my area, worsened by the fact that I am alone, jobless, disabled and having to rely on parents' money totally, which further makes me a less desired tenant in the eyes of the landlords. It's like they'd rather rent it to a group than someone who they aren't sure whether they would suddenly stop paying rent.
Daft question: Will your parents not expect you to return to them when they find out you’re no longer studying?

(I am putting your situation together piecemeal as you’ve made several threads about it, all under Anon which is why you’re getting the same questions again and again.)
I am a local living in eastern Scotland. I applied for council housing last month and have been included in the housing register of my council area. I didn't grow up in the country but have come back for a few years and never left the country once since then, much because of chronic illnesses.

How hard is it to get allocated council housing? Do I need to wait for years to have a chance? What is the chance of rejection?

what is your current accomodation status ?

do you have any priority ?

are you prepared to bid for and take if offered properties across the district ? or do you have a specific place you want to live within the district?

Reply 11
Original post by Admit-One
Daft question: Will your parents not expect you to return to them when they find out you’re no longer studying?

(I am putting your situation together piecemeal as you’ve made several threads about it, all under Anon which is why you’re getting the same questions again and again.)

No, I will never return to them. A lot of stories behind and are not suitable to be discussed.
No, I will never return to them. A lot of stories behind and are not suitable to be discussed.

That’s fair enough, but as I’ve explained elsewhere the council will need to understand why that’s the case.
Reply 13
Original post by Admit-One
That’s fair enough, but as I’ve explained elsewhere the council will need to understand why that’s the case.

But I am a citizen I guess they don't have the right to make me feel that I have to "go back to where I am from" ? They aren't allowed to do so under the law.
Reply 14
But I am a citizen I guess they don't have the right to make me feel that I have to "go back to where I am from" ? They aren't allowed to do so under the law.

that is not going to happen from the council's perspective so don't even entertain the thought. admit-one was asking about your parents' perspective. that they expected you to return after your studies.
Reply 15
ah so you're waiting on your notice now? brilliant. least we have that sorted.

re drug users: depends what kind of temp accom you are given and as you have disability, which assuming is more than just the usual severe depressive disorder, the council may be reluctant to put you into a place that requires more mental resilience so you may dodge that bullet. yes, if you're in a hotel, you will encounter some drug users and might see the police visiting your fellow dwellers on occasion. requires tolerance and mental toughnness, especially if you have no friends/family immediately available. however, if you don't roll with users they'll very likely leave you alone. personally wouldn't worry about it too much, mind you living tough isn't foreign to me.

should you accept temp accom that doesn't mean you must stay there till you receive an offer for a permanent social home tho; in fact, the council might still expect you to actively seek private accommodation whilst you're there, if you have funds available. frees up social housing for those that do not.

waiting for council housing is longg in general, but not as long if you're actually homeless, as opposed to threatened of homelessness which is your current position should you get notice soon. don't live in your neighbourhood but i would be mentally prepared to be in some form of temp accom for at least 4 months should you go that route.

different from simply being on the social housing list. if you're actually homeless in temp accom the council may eventually offer you one permanent home once it's available, which you basically have to take if it's reasonable; if you don't the council's duty of care to provide temporary accommodation will end. different from being on the social housing list which has a wider scope of opportunity for housing. i'm sure the council has explained your options tho

https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/homelessness/permanent_accommodation
Reply 16
apologies for tl;dr
Reply 17
If someone would only have the choice to stay in hotel once they get removed from their current housing, they are considered as homeless as per the council's definitions

That didn't answer the question of why you are having to move out of your current accommodation, but from other posts it's obviously student accommodation.

I’m not denying that you’re a citizen with housing rights in the UK, I’m just saying that if you’re a student who was previously living at home, the council may well want to know why that isn’t practical anymore.
Reply 19
Original post by Genesiss
ah so you're waiting on your notice now? brilliant. least we have that sorted.

re drug users: depends what kind of temp accom you are given and as you have disability, which assuming is more than just the usual severe depressive disorder, the council may be reluctant to put you into a place that requires more mental resilience so you may dodge that bullet. yes, if you're in a hotel, you will encounter some drug users and might see the police visiting your fellow dwellers on occasion. requires tolerance and mental toughnness, especially if you have no friends/family immediately available. however, if you don't roll with users they'll very likely leave you alone. personally wouldn't worry about it too much, mind you living tough isn't foreign to me.

should you accept temp accom that doesn't mean you must stay there till you receive an offer for a permanent social home tho; in fact, the council might still expect you to actively seek private accommodation whilst you're there, if you have funds available. frees up social housing for those that do not.

waiting for council housing is longg in general, but not as long if you're actually homeless, as opposed to threatened of homelessness which is your current position should you get notice soon. don't live in your neighbourhood but i would be mentally prepared to be in some form of temp accom for at least 4 months should you go that route.

different from simply being on the social housing list. if you're actually homeless in temp accom the council may eventually offer you one permanent home once it's available, which you basically have to take if it's reasonable; if you don't the council's duty of care to provide temporary accommodation will end. different from being on the social housing list which has a wider scope of opportunity for housing. i'm sure the council has explained your options tho

https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/homelessness/permanent_accommodation

It is tough. I still hope for the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending