The Student Room Group

How to motivate myself to revise for my GCSE’s?

I know I need to revise, but I just can’t bring myself to do it. I do have quite a lot to learn in chemistry and maths as I’ve missed loads of lessons in the past 2/3 years. I’m a quick learner but I just CAN’T DO IT. I also hate asking people for help and have a massive fear of failure and I feel like if I revise and still fail my GCSE’s then I’ll feel the worst because I value intelligence A LOT. Being smart is a very important thing for me and when I feel stupid it’s the worst feeling for me ://////////// aaaaah, I just need to stop thinking about it and just do it. But I just cannot concentrate.
Original post by jupi6ter
I know I need to revise, but I just can’t bring myself to do it. I do have quite a lot to learn in chemistry and maths as I’ve missed loads of lessons in the past 2/3 years. I’m a quick learner but I just CAN’T DO IT. I also hate asking people for help and have a massive fear of failure and I feel like if I revise and still fail my GCSE’s then I’ll feel the worst because I value intelligence A LOT. Being smart is a very important thing for me and when I feel stupid it’s the worst feeling for me ://////////// aaaaah, I just need to stop thinking about it and just do it. But I just cannot concentrate.

In the same boat :tongue: (which you can probably see as I'm on TSR instead of studying for my mocks)
I can't give you advice because I try to give myself the same advice but it clearly hasn't been working.
Dont stress out too much, trust me my advice probs wont be helpful but I was in the same place as you last year. Tell yourself that you have a couple of months then the exams are done and you get a long break. Your GCSE's dont last forever but your education will

Stop it. What you're doing is catastrophizing.

If you can't concentrate, take a break, have a nice 10 min walk (if the weathers good) or exercise in a gym. It really does help.

Studies show that cardiovascular work outs increases the concentration of BDNF in our brains. Look it up.

I also recommend meditation, I'm an A level student, who also finds it hard to concentrate which usually happens when I revise for very long periods.

Finally, ask yourself, are you being rational?
Objectively question your thoughts, why can't you do it? I recommend meditating whilst you do this. Focus on your breathing, for about 30 minutes (set a timer on your phone) and ask yourself why? Remember, being mindful is the best way you can be productive.

Best of luck!
(edited 6 years ago)

Hi,

Create a revision timetable/plan and put it somewhere you can see it everyday.

Make sure you plan free time for yourself as you'll just end up burning yourself out. Get yourself into a revision routine and make sure you have a clear and quiet space to revise in.

Ask yourself - What do I want to do after GCSE? What career do I want to do in the future and will I need good GCSE grades for this? If I don't revise and don't get the grades I need what are my back up plans?

If you give yourself an end goal to work towards it might just give you the motivation you need to ensure you achieve it.

Some students prefer to revise at school as this is the environment they are used to studying in, see if you school has any revision classes and if not suggest some!

I hope this helps, best of luck!

Sophie - National Careers Service
Original post by Kushala Daora
Stop it. What you're doing is catastrophizing.

If you can't concentrate, take a break, have a nice 10 min walk (if the weathers good) or exercise in a gym. It really does help.

Studies show that cardiovascular work outs increases the concentration of BDNF in our brains. Look it up.

I also recommend meditation, I'm an A level student, who also finds it hard to concentrate which usually happens when I revise for very long periods.

Finally, ask yourself, are you being rational?
Objectively question your thoughts, why can't you do it? I recommend meditating whilst you do this. Focus on your breathing, for about 30 minutes (set a timer on your phone) and ask yourself why? Remember, being mindful is the best way you can be productive.

Best of luck!

Thank you! I’ve actually been meaning to try meditation but I just haven’t got round to doing it.
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi,

Create a revision timetable/plan and put it somewhere you can see it everyday.

Make sure you plan free time for yourself as you'll just end up burning yourself out. Get yourself into a revision routine and make sure you have a clear and quiet space to revise in.

Ask yourself - What do I want to do after GCSE? What career do I want to do in the future and will I need good GCSE grades for this? If I don't revise and don't get the grades I need what are my back up plans?

If you give yourself an end goal to work towards it might just give you the motivation you need to ensure you achieve it.

Some students prefer to revise at school as this is the environment they are used to studying in, see if you school has any revision classes and if not suggest some!

I hope this helps, best of luck!

Sophie - National Careers Service

Thank you! I already know what I want to do at college - philosophy, psychology and English. I desperately want to do these. Thank you so much for the advice! X
Thank you! I already know what I want to do at college - philosophy, psychology and English. I desperately want to do these. Thank you so much for the advice! X

Fantastic!

So you'll be looking at achieving at least five 9-5/4 grades in your GCSEs.

Use the motivation you have to study these subjects after school with your revision now.

Best of luck with the revision.

Always here to help.

Sophie.
Thank you! I’ve actually been meaning to try meditation but I just haven’t got round to doing it.

I definitely recommend it. I too was insecure about my intelligence when I started my A levels.
Meditation, exercise and healthy eating will improve focus and self esteem. Also try to get enough sleep; all nighters are definitely uncool.

Also, look up the term neuroplasticity in google, when you have time, for motivation.

Good luck on your exams! And remember be proud of the work you've put in so far. It's good to reflect on the achievements from your past.
Original post by Kushala Daora
I definitely recommend it. I too was insecure about my intelligence when I started my A levels.
Meditation, exercise and healthy eating will improve focus and self esteem. Also try to get enough sleep; all nighters are definitely uncool.

Also, look up the term neuroplasticity in google, when you have time, for motivation.

Good luck on your exams! And remember be proud of the work you've put in so far. It's good to reflect on the achievements from your past.

Ah, thank you so much! I can’t wait to do my A Levels though as I reaaaally reaaaaallly want to study Philosophy, Psychology and English.
Original post by National Careers Service
Fantastic!

So you'll be looking at achieving at least five 9-5/4 grades in your GCSEs.

Use the motivation you have to study these subjects after school with your revision now.

Best of luck with the revision.

Always here to help.

Sophie.

Yes, thank you! I’m already achieving level 5’s-8’s in most subjects. It’s just maths and chemistry I’m struggling with the most.
Reply 11
Original post by username3785322

believe in yourself and pray about it , maybe just maybe the reason is something you can actually change now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending