The Student Room Group

A-Level motivation

I just wanted to know if anyone else is struggling to find the motivation to study. I mean it’s A-levels so logically it makes sense to be motivated but honestly I feel so dazed. My attendance at school is bellow 10%, I’ve been therapy, on meds and a reduced timetable but i still can’t even get out the house.

If you’re wondering how I’ve studied, I’ve been using textbooks really. My teachers say I know the content and it’s just the structure. (I do law, psychology and sociology- all AQA)

All that aside, can someone give me some sorta incentive, like a joke or something I need it🙏🏽.
I was just like you in jan/ feb. No motivation to do anything and I was just thinking- what is the point of a levels? But now I feel really motivated to do well because at the end of the day, you get one shot at a levels. People still talk about a level results and the university you went to when you’re well into adulthood!

Just think about how amazing it would feel to tell people you got really good grades- three A*’s for example. Imagine opening that sheet of paper and seeing results you could only wish for. Imagine being able to tell people you got those results.

Aside from that, you just have to remember that it will be over before you know it. Plan for the summer! I’ve planned a concert a few days after my exams finished, I think about outfits im gonna wear during breaks and I imagine all the fun activities you can finally do after exams.

Also, it kinda helps just to think of it as a game. At the end of the day, all that matters is how well you do and feel on the day. I kinda look forward to exams in a (weird) way because once you know you have memorised and understood structures, essay plans and content, you know that you’re going to smash it in that exam. Plus, when I go into exams I have a nice routine of having nice breakfast and a coffee- it makes me really look forward to exams haha.

It also helps me to think of myself as if I’m a teacher- I just think, everything is easy for me because I know it all. Being able to teach someone else a topic really helps me!

Additionally, it really helps when you incorporate things you enjoy into your studying, just to not make it as boring. For me, I get excited when I can have an iced coffee or an energy drink and a nice lunch before I start studying. This really helps me get into a good mood. Get some of your favourite snacks and sweets! Tell people about what you have revised after your study sessions- it feels so fulfilling to tell someone about how much work you have done- it feels so rewarding. In your breaks, play a game! Or listen to some music and jump around! Watch a YouTuber that you love!

Watch YouTube videos as well! They really help me fully grasp concepts. For sociology, I watch THETEACHERSOCIOLOGY she really helps me with structure, and Tutor2U’s videos- they help me a lot with confepts, evaluation and application.

Work hard now and you’ll be glad you did when you open those results in August. You’ve got this ❤️*🔥
Reply 2
Original post by mcinnamon
I was just like you in jan/ feb. No motivation to do anything and I was just thinking- what is the point of a levels? But now I feel really motivated to do well because at the end of the day, you get one shot at a levels. People still talk about a level results and the university you went to when you’re well into adulthood!
Just think about how amazing it would feel to tell people you got really good grades- three A*’s for example. Imagine opening that sheet of paper and seeing results you could only wish for. Imagine being able to tell people you got those results.
Aside from that, you just have to remember that it will be over before you know it. Plan for the summer! I’ve planned a concert a few days after my exams finished, I think about outfits im gonna wear during breaks and I imagine all the fun activities you can finally do after exams.
Also, it kinda helps just to think of it as a game. At the end of the day, all that matters is how well you do and feel on the day. I kinda look forward to exams in a (weird) way because once you know you have memorised and understood structures, essay plans and content, you know that you’re going to smash it in that exam. Plus, when I go into exams I have a nice routine of having nice breakfast and a coffee- it makes me really look forward to exams haha.
It also helps me to think of myself as if I’m a teacher- I just think, everything is easy for me because I know it all. Being able to teach someone else a topic really helps me!
Additionally, it really helps when you incorporate things you enjoy into your studying, just to not make it as boring. For me, I get excited when I can have an iced coffee or an energy drink and a nice lunch before I start studying. This really helps me get into a good mood. Get some of your favourite snacks and sweets! Tell people about what you have revised after your study sessions- it feels so fulfilling to tell someone about how much work you have done- it feels so rewarding. In your breaks, play a game! Or listen to some music and jump around! Watch a YouTuber that you love!
Watch YouTube videos as well! They really help me fully grasp concepts. For sociology, I watch THETEACHERSOCIOLOGY she really helps me with structure, and Tutor2U’s videos- they help me a lot with confepts, evaluation and application.
Work hard now and you’ll be glad you did when you open those results in August. You’ve got this ❤️*🔥
Thank you so much, this helped a lot 😭🙏🏽
Original post by Aess
I just wanted to know if anyone else is struggling to find the motivation to study. I mean it’s A-levels so logically it makes sense to be motivated but honestly I feel so dazed. My attendance at school is bellow 10%, I’ve been therapy, on meds and a reduced timetable but i still can’t even get out the house.
If you’re wondering how I’ve studied, I’ve been using textbooks really. My teachers say I know the content and it’s just the structure. (I do law, psychology and sociology- all AQA)
All that aside, can someone give me some sorta incentive, like a joke or something I need it🙏🏽.

Hi @Aess,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this- but just like you, I used to struggle a lot with trying to muster up any sort of motivation to do anything revision related. But eventually I've got better at it and I noticed how much more capable I am as a student when I allow myself the time I need to achieve my academic goals.

The first thing I do before I tackle any kind of revision is to specifically identify what exactly I need to do. If I need to refine notes, I would identify the topic, and which bullet points by referring to my specification points. This makes "revising" a lot more manageable and less overwhelming, allowing me to focus one task at a time.

Another tip (also my favourite tip) I have for you is to treat yourself after completing a revision session. These treats can be small, like enjoying a favourite snack. I convinced myself that I would only watch the next two episodes if I could squeeze in two hours of revision before it.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 4
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Aess,
I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this- but just like you, I used to struggle a lot with trying to muster up any sort of motivation to do anything revision related. But eventually I've got better at it and I noticed how much more capable I am as a student when I allow myself the time I need to achieve my academic goals.
The first thing I do before I tackle any kind of revision is to specifically identify what exactly I need to do. If I need to refine notes, I would identify the topic, and which bullet points by referring to my specification points. This makes "revising" a lot more manageable and less overwhelming, allowing me to focus one task at a time.
Another tip (also my favourite tip) I have for you is to treat yourself after completing a revision session. These treats can be small, like enjoying a favourite snack. I convinced myself that I would only watch the next two episodes if I could squeeze in two hours of revision before it.
Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Thank you so much, I’ll try it🙏🏽🙏🏽

Quick Reply

Latest