The Student Room Group

Recovering from A Levels

Hi!
Now thinking this will sound too deep, but going to ask anyway. I'm at uni right now and I'm loving it, been here about two weeks and started my lessons, but I can't find the confidence or motivation to do well. I think because I tried so hard in my A levels and didn't get what I wanted, I feel like its a waste of time to try hard again as it didn't get me anywhere. I keep procrastinating and so annoyed with myself as I used to love to learn, but now I can't stop thinking that I don't need to bother as I won't do well. Anybody else feel this way or worked out how to get over this? I still want to stay at uni and push through this feeling, but I'm not sure how to. Grateful for any response. Thanks
Honestly similar to you, except not out of unexpected results, but still feel burnt out from A-levels (somehow lol). But I feel like getting a 2:1 won't be as stress as getting the A*s.
Original post by anyaquinn
Hi!
Now thinking this will sound too deep, but going to ask anyway. I'm at uni right now and I'm loving it, been here about two weeks and started my lessons, but I can't find the confidence or motivation to do well. I think because I tried so hard in my A levels and didn't get what I wanted, I feel like its a waste of time to try hard again as it didn't get me anywhere. I keep procrastinating and so annoyed with myself as I used to love to learn, but now I can't stop thinking that I don't need to bother as I won't do well. Anybody else feel this way or worked out how to get over this? I still want to stay at uni and push through this feeling, but I'm not sure how to. Grateful for any response. Thanks

Hi @anyaquinn

I can definitely understand your feeling of being burnt out and just not having the motivation to study. Something that helps me is making sure I attend my lectures as it helps give me some structure to my day and also means I have time to go over the lecture again before the next one if I need to. I also find myself procrastinating when it comes to reading and going over lectures and I think the best way to deal with this is to try an plan times to work and also to relax. I know for me I'm more motivated to do some work if I know i can relax after. I try and keep my weekends as free as possible to try and give me a chance to recharge. I know some people say to treat uni as a 9-5 but I don't think for me its realistic but it does help to structure your day in a way that works for you and also will hopefully help you to get back into the habit of studying again after the break from A-levels.

Hope this helped :smile:

Jess
Hi!

Hi @anyaquinn,

I am sorry to hear you are struggling with motivation. Feeling burnt out as someone who enjoys learning can be super tricky. Give yourself some time and patience. I agree with @Loughborough Student Community, attend your lectures so you have some structure in your day but outside of these and in the evenings rest. Try some new hobbies or pick up old ones you have forgotten about and really make time for these. Even making time (2 hours a day for example) to do absolutely nothing is absolutely fine. It is hard to say how long this feeling will last. It could be days or months so making time to relax and do things you enjoy is so important.

I recently felt burned out coming from a placement year straight into final year (while working throughout the summer) so I have been making sure I have, at the very least, one whole day to myself as well as the evenings during the week to myself. Planning is key to this. I try to plan realistically how much to do in a day (planning realistically takes time to perfect, I still overestimate how much I am going to get done!). Try various methods, an online diary/planner or paper one. By planning your week, you can see clearly that you have time for yourself everyday. Even if its an hour or a 20 minute walk, something to make that day just a bit more relaxing.

Motivation does come and go and whilst it might sound counterproductive, rest will end up helping you be productive in the long run.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Hi!

@anyaquinn

It's frustrating that you didn't get what you want from your A' levels but you have to let go of this! It doesn't mean that you didn't work hard! It's just a part of life that even if you work really hard for a company you might not get a promotion, even if you put in all the training hours with your sports team, you still might lose. The most important thing is that you know you put in the work. It would feel awful if you didn't put the work in and did badly you would know that you could have done better but when you've worked hard, when you've tried your best, you have nothing to regret!

You're loving it at uni and from your experience you know revision strategies that were helpful and have experience answering exams. You can use all of this information that you have learnt about yourself to study and to revise for your degree.

First year is a good year to relax a little, to enjoy your new environment, to enjoy meeting new people and to learn about being independent. I would give yourself the space to rest and to not worry about assignments and exams for now, but at some point you will have to address these things again as you do need to pass first year to move on to second year.

@anyaquinn You have no idea how well you could do at university, but if you don't put in the effort in you will never know!

Reach for the moon!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending