The Student Room Group

ucas predicated grades: i have a tough situation :(

Hi I'm a current year 12 student.
The end of the year is coming up and I have my final exams this week which count towards my UCAS predicted grades.
Throughout Year 12 I have significantly struggled with motivation to revise, and have lacked confidence. I'm not sure why because in highschool I was always a good student and actively revised and tried really hard. But since starting college everything went down hill for me.

I study Biology, Chemistry and Maths A level, and have consistently achieved B,Cs and D,s on my mocks throughout this year. But I always complete my homework to a high standard, and I always actively participate in class and my attendance is good to. I struggle with my Maths A level a lot, I regret choosing it but unfortunately I cannot swap it, and I really do not want to resit year 12.

I don't understand why whenever i sit down to try and revise i just can't seem to find the motivation to, but I have such high aspirations for myself, but I can't figure out why I can't sit down and use that as motivation.

From a realistic point of view, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to achieve the predications I need for the course I want to apply.
The Unis which I have in mind to study Biomedical Science at require AAB or ABB. I'm hoping to come out with BBB from these finals mocks, so maybe over the summer I can complete some extra work, and really practice in hopes to prove to my teachers that I am dedicated and could potentially increase my grades, but I'm not sure if this is even realistic.

Should I maybe start to consider other options like a apprenticeship? or maybe taking a gap year after actual a levels? I have 1:1s with my teachers coming up where they will reveal my predicated grades and discuss further, is it worth waiting for those? I'm just under a lot of stress and I genuinely do not know what to do.

I know I am responsible for my own mistakes that have lead to where I am now, but any advice at all would really be appreciated.
Thank you :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by tomatogirl3
Hi I'm a current year 12 student.
The end of the year is coming up and I have my final exams this week which count towards my UCAS predicted grades.
Throughout Year 12 I have significantly struggled with motivation to revise, and have lacked confidence. I'm not sure why because in highschool I was always a good student and actively revised and tried really hard. But since starting college everything went down hill for me.

I study Biology, Chemistry and Maths A level, and have consistently achieved B,Cs and D,s on my mocks throughout this year. But I always complete my homework to a high standard, and I always actively participate in class and my attendance is good to. I struggle with my Maths A level a lot, I regret choosing it but unfortunately I cannot swap it, and I really do not want to resit year 12.

I don't understand why whenever i sit down to try and revise i just can't seem to find the motivation to, but I have such high aspirations for myself, but I can't figure out why I can't sit down and use that as motivation.

From a realistic point of view, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to achieve the predications I need for the course I want to apply.
The Unis which I have in mind to study Biomedical Science at require AAB or ABB. I'm hoping to come out with BBB from these finals mocks, so maybe over the summer I can complete some extra work, and really practice in hopes to prove to my teachers that I am dedicated and could potentially increase my grades, but I'm not sure if this is even realistic.

Should I maybe start to consider other options like a apprenticeship? or maybe taking a gap year after actual a levels? I have 1:1s with my teachers coming up where they will reveal my predicated grades and discuss further, is it worth waiting for those? I'm just under a lot of stress and I genuinely do not know what to do.

I know I am responsible for my own mistakes that have lead to where I am now, but any advice at all would really be appreciated.
Thank you :smile:

Hi,

I remember being in your position last year with the whole stress of predicted grades and uni applications etc.

Firstly, it seems like you are already panicking about other options such as apprenticeships before you even have your predicted grades! So definitely before going full-panic mode, I would wait until you find out what those are.

Secondly, it should be possible to get your teachers to improve your predicted grades if you show dedication to their subjects over the summer. This will, though, require motivation which is something you say you currently do not have. Perhaps some lower-than-required predicted grades will improve your motivation. However, it does seem silly to be motivated this summer and not now, because things will be much easier for you if you work hard for the next few weeks during these mocks.

Thirdly, in terms of motivation, perhaps try to picture how doing well in these mocks will make your life easier over summer! You will be so much more stress free. Maybe try some motivational TikTok's or something (strange but it helps me). Sit some practice papers and find your weaknesses in maths, etc.

Overall, I'd try not to think about how important these mocks are, but instead about how much easier they will make your life, and you may feel much less stressed! Don't worry about predictions you can get them changed, and definitely don't go into panic-mode.

Hope I've helped in some way, and good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest