The Student Room Group

Cancer Support Society

Scroll to see replies

It's understandable to worry but hopefully it will all be ok.

My mum is still not completely clear (as in all tests at a level the doctors are happy with to not have any limitations) over 18 months after her transplant
Original post by Pathway
Yeah, she only had one scare since her diagnosis in 2015, I'm thinking it will be alright, but can't help worrying anyway. :dontknow: How are you?

Of course, it's totally natural to be worried - I hope that it all goes smoothly for you both, and that she's still clear! :hugs:

Thing are okay on my end, one of my family has a check-up next month, but I'm hopeful all will be well still :crossedf:

Original post by Anonymous
It's understandable to worry but hopefully it will all be ok.

My mum is still not completely clear (as in all tests at a level the doctors are happy with to not have any limitations) over 18 months after her transplant

I'm really sorry to hear she's still not completely clear :frown:

What happens next in terms of getting her to that point?
There's nothing really AFAIK - it's a case of looking after herself and having tests to check how it's going. It's just the one result that isn't right
Original post by shadowdweller
Of course, it's totally natural to be worried - I hope that it all goes smoothly for you both, and that she's still clear! :hugs:

Thing are okay on my end, one of my family has a check-up next month, but I'm hopeful all will be well still :crossedf:

I'm really sorry to hear she's still not completely clear :frown:

What happens next in terms of getting her to that point?
Pretty worried about Mum at the moment, understandably. :redface:
Nan had an operation on Friday and all seems to have gone well with that, so that's positive. But yeah, Mum's still recovering from her treatment and so is still pretty high risk at the moment.
Nan had an operation on Friday and all seems to have gone well with that, so that's positive. But yeah, Mum's still recovering from her treatment and so is still pretty high risk at the moment.

Nothing I can really do to make it better but :jumphug:

That must be really tough :hugs:

Is she/your family in a position where you can fully self isolate to reduce her risks?
Original post by shadowdweller
That must be really tough :hugs:

Is she/your family in a position where you can fully self isolate to reduce her risks?

It's just her and Dad at the moment so they're not in too bad shape. Spending quite a bit of time in the garden and I think just reducing any existing plans. Tickets for the grand national were quite expensive and they'd been looking forward to that for so long so that was a shame. :frown:
It's just her and Dad at the moment so they're not in too bad shape. Spending quite a bit of time in the garden and I think just reducing any existing plans. Tickets for the grand national were quite expensive and they'd been looking forward to that for so long so that was a shame. :frown:

Awh, sounds like they have a nice chilled home situation then, relatively speaking! Will they get the money back for the grand national tickets? :redface:
Hello everyone. Yesterday night my mum (41 years old) realised she had 1-2 lumps on the inside of her left breast. She hadn't had these lumps before- it must have been relatively new (if not maybe 2-3 days old). I searched it up and it said that breast cancer is more often in the left breast than the right, and she has it in her left breast. So my mum went to the GP today and the GP said that it is likely (God-forbid) she has breast cancer, but that she is unsure. Hence the GP booked an appointment for my mum, with the Doctor. Having 2 lumps on the inside of the breast is a sign of breast cancer and unfortunately may be because of the tumour developing. I am extremely worried and really do not want to lose my mother. Obviously I love her so much and it came as a complete shock that she had 2 lumps on the inside of her breast because fortunately she hadn't had problems with her breasts in the past and nor has anyone in the family/her siblings. However looking at the causes of breast cancer the only one that appealed to my mother was obesity. Not that she can't move, she can perfectly move around- she goes work, goes shopping, rides a car- basically all the normal things a person does. But she has been "obese" for the past 10-15 years, so it isn't new. Now again I cannot apprehend losing my mother. Do you guys have absolutely the most efficient/effective advice on how to make sure this "cancer" (God-forbid she has it) stops developing and stops getting any worser (yet I do understand a consultation with the Doctor is needed)? For example what type of food should she start eating from now on, what shouldn't she be eating from now on? Anything in general. Please please help. I do have hope because it stated that if you are in the early stages of breast cancer you have a high possibility of being cured. Do you guys think 2-3 lumps on the inside of the left breast (has been like that for 2-3 days) is an early stage of the cancer? Hopefully she turns out perfectly fine (fingers-crossed) !!!!!
Hello everyone. Yesterday night my mum (41 years old) realised she had 1-2 lumps on the inside of her left breast. She hadn't had these lumps before- it must have been relatively new (if not maybe 2-3 days old). I searched it up and it said that breast cancer is more often in the left breast than the right, and she has it in her left breast. So my mum went to the GP today and the GP said that it is likely (God-forbid) she has breast cancer, but that she is unsure. Hence the GP booked an appointment for my mum, with the Doctor. Having 2 lumps on the inside of the breast is a sign of breast cancer and unfortunately may be because of the tumour developing. I am extremely worried and really do not want to lose my mother. Obviously I love her so much and it came as a complete shock that she had 2 lumps on the inside of her breast because fortunately she hadn't had problems with her breasts in the past and nor has anyone in the family/her siblings. However looking at the causes of breast cancer the only one that appealed to my mother was obesity. Not that she can't move, she can perfectly move around- she goes work, goes shopping, rides a car- basically all the normal things a person does. But she has been "obese" for the past 10-15 years, so it isn't new. Now again I cannot apprehend losing my mother. Do you guys have absolutely the most efficient/effective advice on how to make sure this "cancer" (God-forbid she has it) stops developing and stops getting any worser (yet I do understand a consultation with the Doctor is needed)? For example what type of food should she start eating from now on, what shouldn't she be eating from now on? Anything in general. Please please help. I do have hope because it stated that if you are in the early stages of breast cancer you have a high possibility of being cured. Do you guys think 2-3 lumps on the inside of the left breast (has been like that for 2-3 days) is an early stage of the cancer? Hopefully she turns out perfectly fine (fingers-crossed) !!!!!

I'm really sorry to hear you and your family are going through this. There isn't really any lifestyle things that can cure cancer - but it would be good to keep healthy so eat good food. The doctors will be able to advise your mother on anything else and it may only require an operation and radiotherapy if its caught early enough (that's what my mum had)
I'm really sorry to hear you and your family are going through this. There isn't really any lifestyle things that can cure cancer - but it would be good to keep healthy so eat good food. The doctors will be able to advise your mother on anything else and it may only require an operation and radiotherapy if its caught early enough (that's what my mum had)

Thank you for your response, and I hope your mother has gone better now !
With regards to "if it's caught early enough", do you have a rough estimate of how early for example 2 days? 1 week? 2 weeks?
And also regarding "keep healthy so eat good food" do you mean that she should start eating fruits (because she doesn't that much) ?
Thank you for your response, and I hope your mother has gone better now !
With regards to "if it's caught early enough", do you have a rough estimate of how early for example 2 days? 1 week? 2 weeks?
And also regarding "keep healthy so eat good food" do you mean that she should start eating fruits (because she doesn't that much) ?

She is nearly there to be able to start being back to normal but now shes in lockdown as she is still considered vulnerable!

I dont know the timescale of it - and it's hard to tell as it will depend on when the cancer developed. The doctors will know the best course of treatment so she will have to wait until her appointment.

Yes eating fruit and veg is good. There is no medically confirmed diet that will help, but eating healthily is good to help manage the treatment and just generally. The doctors will say if there is anything that she should be doing differently when they see her
This is a wholesome thread, a fresh change from coronavirus. I knew someone that died of a brain tumour a year ago, it’s heartbreaking seeing how it affected their family but it’s also been encouraging seeing them built up through it.
She is nearly there to be able to start being back to normal but now shes in lockdown as she is still considered vulnerable!

I dont know the timescale of it - and it's hard to tell as it will depend on when the cancer developed. The doctors will know the best course of treatment so she will have to wait until her appointment.

Yes eating fruit and veg is good. There is no medically confirmed diet that will help, but eating healthily is good to help manage the treatment and just generally. The doctors will say if there is anything that she should be doing differently when they see her

Fortunately my mum has an appointment tomorrow morning. Hopefully things go well from there ! I'm just extremely worried right now.
Fortunately my mum has an appointment tomorrow morning. Hopefully things go well from there ! I'm just extremely worried right now.

Good luck for tomorrow. It's understandable to be worried, but try and do things to take your mind off it if you can
I have an old relative who's cancer has spread like crazy... I just wanna see her or hug her or anything- I don't know how long she has😯😢😣... How can I feel less sad
I have an old relative who's cancer has spread like crazy... I just wanna see her or hug her or anything- I don't know how long she has😯😢😣... How can I feel less sad

I'm really sorry to hear that... It's totally understandable to feel really sad, especially at the moment when you want to see her and you can't. What helps people manage is different for everyone - do what you enjoy (reading, cooking, exercise, watching TV/films etc.) and connect with people (friends, family who understand how you feel...)
Wow I didn't realise the percentage was so high!
Hi there,

My mum was diagnosed with cancer today. She had a lump in her breast and went for a biopsy last week. The doctor told her that she needs to be admitted into hospital asap so that they can see where the cancer spread from.

I am a bit confused by this statement. Does this mean the cancer has spread?

Quick Reply

Latest