The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

DD102 PDF's

Hi, everyone, I am looking to start DD102 (social sciences) in October, and wondered if anyone is on the course ? If so would anyone be able to send me the PDF version so that I can make a start on a bit of reading up

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingcoal
Hi, everyone, I am looking to start DD102 (social sciences) in October, and wondered if anyone is on the course ? If so would anyone be able to send me the PDF version so that I can make a start on a bit of reading up

Thanks

I don't think I have the pdf's I'm afraid! I can't see what forum this is posted in, but I'm assuming Open University? I did this module 2 years ago, and all I can say is good luck!! 😂
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by SamBrainless
I don't think I have the pdf's I'm afraid! I can't see what forum this is posted in, but I'm assuming Open University? I did this module 2 years ago, and all I can say is good luck!! 😂

Thanks anyway
Thanks anyway

I could send you the actual books, but you'd be getting them in a few months anyway...
Reply 4
I could send you the actual books, but you'd be getting them in a few months anyway...

Thanks for your kindness but as you say I will be getting them in a few months so I wouldn't want to put you through that trouble
Thanks for your kindness but as you say I will be getting them in a few months so I wouldn't want to put you through that trouble

it'd be no trouble! If you decide you want them early, just let me know 😊

also, if you want any advice on the module, just ask!
how did I just quote myself....
Reply 8

Well If you don't mind, I will cover the cost of postage,

[mod edit - address removed.]

thanks so much
Well If you don't mind, I will cover the cost of postage,

thanks so much

I'll dig them out and take them tomorrow!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
I'll dig them out and take them tomorrow!

Thanks, that's really good of you, and yes, I would appreciate any advice or info you can give me regarding the course
Thanks
Thanks, that's really good of you, and yes, I would appreciate any advice or info you can give me regarding the course
Thanks

I'll be honest with you, you have to really love sociology. In my year, over half the group dropped out, some of them quitting uni completely. Some of the module is super boring. You'll spend a lot of time looking at City Road in Wales (I think it's wales) which you'll come to know so well you may as well live there. I had a really good tutor who gave great feedback and worked well with me. The assignments can be quite fun, but make sure you use a mix of online and book material. If you need help with any of the assignments at any point, just hmu, because I still have all my notes and assignments on my laptop :smile:
Reply 12
I'll be honest with you, you have to really love sociology. In my year, over half the group dropped out, some of them quitting uni completely. Some of the module is super boring. You'll spend a lot of time looking at City Road in Wales (I think it's wales) which you'll come to know so well you may as well live there. I had a really good tutor who gave great feedback and worked well with me. The assignments can be quite fun, but make sure you use a mix of online and book material. If you need help with any of the assignments at any point, just hmu, because I still have all my notes and assignments on my laptop :smile:

LOL, City Road is in Cardiff Wales, I know it quite well its about 20 mins from where I live. I intend to follow the Politics route after DD102, I know that social science can be tedious for some, but I actually love everything about it (sad I know). I would be grateful for any assignments or notes you can let me have so that I can see what the tutors are looking for. If you like you can send them directly via PM. thanks
LOL, City Road is in Cardiff Wales, I know it quite well its about 20 mins from where I live. I intend to follow the Politics route after DD102, I know that social science can be tedious for some, but I actually love everything about it (sad I know). I would be grateful for any assignments or notes you can let me have so that I can see what the tutors are looking for. If you like you can send them directly to my email address [email protected]. thanks

You'll do well then!! 😂 I was on the psychology route, but I've just left after 2 years and applied to brick universities doing a totally different degree. Bit of a quarter life crisis I suppose haha
Reply 14
You'll do well then!! 😂 I was on the psychology route, but I've just left after 2 years and applied to brick universities doing a totally different degree. Bit of a quarter life crisis I suppose haha

Well I wish you well at the Brick Uni and whatever degree I am sure you will receive

All the bes

Ken
Well I wish you well at the Brick Uni and whatever degree I am sure you will receive

All the bes

Ken

Thank you! And good luck with the OU

Thanks

We don't get PDFs and even then, I believe some things are restricted to students who are studying. Reading so far ahead will not make much of a difference, in fact, it would be frustrating because there's only so much you can go ahead. The site will open a week before it begins so you can begin a week early which is more than enough.

You have shared your full address and e-mail address on a public forum so I'd suggest editing your posts. You can send such information privately to specific users if needed. You will receive your own books nearer the time.

I would like to point out for the sake of the OP and others, people drop out for a number of reasons. I have never seen people quit just because of one module - it is nearly always because of life issues or they feel disheartened from their results. DD102 is not representative of the entire psychology degree and DE100 is an interesting, psychologically focused module. Many people have spoken about their dislike of the module but there are many who have enjoyed it so it seems it's a 50/50 thing (the people who dislike it are simply more vocal). Assignment questions change every year and sharing assignments could be considered collusion for OP who could copy your work.

LOL, City Road is in Cardiff Wales, I know it quite well its about 20 mins from where I live. I intend to follow the Politics route after DD102, I know that social science can be tedious for some, but I actually love everything about it (sad I know). I would be grateful for any assignments or notes you can let me have so that I can see what the tutors are looking for. If you like you can send them directly to my email address [email protected]. thanks

If you like politics, then you may like the later parts of DD102. You get as much out of DD102 as you put in. I have enjoyed some parts more than others but it will definitely make you view the world a lot differently and probably make you more open minded. Assignment questions change every year and sharing of assignments (that are considered confidential documents) is against the rules and viewed as collusion. You will learn more and better by doing it yourself. Level 1 is all about preparing you for later years and developing study skills. Figuring it out for yourself and paying attention to tutor feedback is the best way to learn.
I meant to mention taking personal information down, but totally forgot!
Reply 18
Original post by hannxm
We don't get PDFs and even then, I believe some things are restricted to students who are studying. Reading so far ahead will not make much of a difference, in fact, it would be frustrating because there's only so much you can go ahead. The site will open a week before it begins so you can begin a week early which is more than enough.

You have shared your full address and e-mail address on a public forum so I'd suggest editing your posts. You can send such information privately to specific users if needed. You will receive your own books nearer the time.

I would like to point out for the sake of the OP and others, people drop out for a number of reasons. I have never seen people quit just because of one module - it is nearly always because of life issues or they feel disheartened from their results. DD102 is not representative of the entire psychology degree and DE100 is an interesting, psychologically focused module. Many people have spoken about their dislike of the module but there are many who have enjoyed it so it seems it's a 50/50 thing (the people who dislike it are simply more vocal). Assignment questions change every year and sharing assignments could be considered collusion for OP who could copy your work.

If you like politics, then you may like the later parts of DD102. You get as much out of DD102 as you put in. I have enjoyed some parts more than others but it will definitely make you view the world a lot differently and probably make you more open minded. Assignment questions change every year and sharing of assignments (that are considered confidential documents) is against the rules and viewed as collusion. You will learn more and better by doing it yourself. Level 1 is all about preparing you for later years and developing study skills. Figuring it out for yourself and paying attention to tutor feedback is the best way to learn.

I meant to mention taking personal information down, but totally forgot!

Assignment questions change every year ... You will learn more and better by doing it yourself. Level 1 is all about preparing you for later years and developing study skills. Figuring it out for yourself and paying attention to tutor feedback is the best way to learn.

Thank you for your reply and advice! I am, however, aware that the questions vary year from year, and even past exam papers can be purchased from the O.U shop and downloaded. However, I understand it may be regarded as collusion ! The Social Sciences is wonderful in that certain questions can be argued from different viewpoints, therefore, it follows that my argument could be completely different from another student, it would be about the evidence provided to support the argument and the way in which you present the argument you support that is the most important thing. I do completely understand your view, but can assure you that any submissions would be totally my own work and nobody else's. I would also add that I have been in a Brick uni where students actually sit together discussing their work ??
I loved DD102, but it does depend on how interested you are in the subjects. Most people got through it fine in the end, and it’s certainly easier than DD103 which I am studying now. Most people studying DD102 however, absolutely loved DE100. To be honest, the best bit of advice I can give you is to look ahead in the materials whenever it comes to writing an assignment. They have a habit of telling you to do something new, and then not explaining it properly until after the deadline. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest