The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham accent

Just wondering what the Nottingham accent is like..

I've lived in Plymouth, and although I don't have a proper Janner accent, I've had Londoners guess that it's Plymouth I've been to. So I'm just thinking, a bit of a Janner accent + Nottingham accent + NZ accent is going to be interesting!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
and strangely hot. You're already good looking by your photo, so with the accent even better :wink:.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
WokSz
and strangely hot. You're already good looking by your photo, so with the accent even better :wink:.

Why thank you :smile:

Is the Nottingham accent strong at all?
Reply 3
They speak with guns my friend..
Reply 4
I've lived in Nottingham all my life and don't really consider myself to have much of an accent. Some people have said that I have a bit of a posh accent but that may be due to going to a private school etc

I suppose the typical Nottingham accent may be kind of "aye up me duck" but to be honest thats more steriotypical than reality.

Most people tend not to speak with much of accent here. And contrary to popular belief the city is not awash with guns!!

Edit:

I've found this page but to be honest I've rarely heard people talk like that

http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sounds/text-only/england/nottingham/
It's horrible.

Some people pronounce "Nottingham" "Nottnum" and the way "u" is pronounced is very harsh and northern.

A fair few of us don't have the accent though.
Reply 6
i'm from nottingham and in freshers week, loads of people said that i don't really have an accent which i think is the same for most people from here and also from derby and leicester as well.
Reply 7
EvilSheep
Why thank you :smile:

Is the Nottingham accent strong at all?

Its pretty much the same as a Leicester accent in which words that end with a y like melody (for example) sound more like melodeh. Also words like mardy and cob are used (little colloquialisms [sp?]). Apart from that there isn't really (realleh) much of an accent.
Reply 8
Im from Nottingham and just have a neutral accent i think, you couldnt guess where i was from if you just met me and i think a lot of people are like that around the area i live. Generally if you were born north of the city centre then people have an accent but not south of the River Trent.

I think the Nottm accent is more slang based than an actual accent but we do say

PASS and not PARS like southerners and LAST and not LARST etc.
Read a DH Lawrence novel. He puts loads of dialect in.
I say pars and larst a bit. :p: But then I am from Rushcliffe... Haha.
Bear in mind DH Lawrence came from an area that is now brown town, and is a fair bit north and west of Nottingham towards Chesterfield (accents get significantly broader once you get to Mansfield and beyond).
The Solitary Reaper
Bear in mind DH Lawrence came from an area that is now brown town, and is a fair bit north and west of Nottingham towards Chesterfield (accents get significantly broader once you get to Mansfield and beyond).

Still, won't be that far off, will it? Particularly if you work down the mines, which I hear they make you do at Nottingham if you want to earn a wage. Those poor students.
Reply 13
As Solitary Reaper points out, the stereotypical Nottingham accent is actually more from Mansfield/North Nottingham.

A lot of people from Nottingham have fairly neutral accents but pronounce in the northern way (laff & pass) rather than the southern (larf & parse). There are some who do it the other way, but they're just wannabe southerners. :wink:
It can't be as bad as the Lincoln accent. Christ, it sounds like people are trying to break glass with their 'i' sounds. *shudders*

Fortunately, I have RP mastered :p:
Reply 15
The Solitary Reaper
I say pars and larst a bit. :p: But then I am from Rushcliffe... Haha.

im from ruscliffe too and i dont say Larst :p: , must be one of the rich villages...actually though there are so many southerners moving to west bridgford now i hear larst far too often nowadays
Well, I've been living in Luton (don't laugh) for 11 years and I've still got a broad Bradford accent, although when talking to my friends, I use a Lutonian accent. My sister went to NTU and has lived in Nottingham (she actually lives in West Bridgford) for years and you can hear the Nottingham accent in her voice. It's a fair mix of northern and slight midlands, so it's not that bad.
Reply 17
I'm not gonna laugh, cos I don't know how you'd talk in Luton or Bradford!

And and I don't really know what a mix between northern / midlands would be.. :confused:
Reply 18
Higgy
actually though there are so many southerners moving to west bridgford now i hear larst far too often nowadays

Tell me about it. If any sociologist or economist wants to study the stagnation of social mobility they should come to Bridgford. My parents are from backgrounds much less middle class than typical WB and say there's no way they could afford to buy here if they were young buyers now, not even a Northern Rock mortgage-style hope in hell..... It's difficult to object when you see these nice families milling about, but they're clearly silver-spooners from the South, cosying up to the best state schools in the county, it's getting a lot more posh and the traditional artisan/ascetic culture of Bridgford, which was much more inclusive, is well in decline, its a shame.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I think it's like others have said, there is a 'Nottingham accent', probably most like Yorkshirn out of the well known accents, but still quite different, but a lot of people here don't have the accent.
Reply 19
emporium
Tell me about it. If any sociologist or economist wants to study the stagnation of social mobility they should come to Bridgford. My parents are from backgrounds much less middle class than typical WB and say there's no way they could afford to buy here if they were young buyers now, not even a Northern Rock mortgage-style hope in hell..... It's difficult to object when you see these nice families milling about, but they're clearly silver-spooners from the South, cosying up to the best state schools in the county, it's getting a lot more posh and the traditional artisan/ascetic culture of Bridgford, which was much more inclusive, is well in decline, its a shame.

I find the most annoying thing about all that is when you walk into somehwere like Fire and Ice or the Oriental Pearl and the newly moved in southerners with money look at you like ****, 'i've lived here all my life sunshine dont you dare tell me im not welcome' i want to say to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending