The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Is Exeter really as bad as people say?

I’ve applied to Exeter to study geography and was wondering if the people there are as arrogant as people say. I’ve heard they value status and popularity and also have no manners. Coming from a not posh background I’m worried that Exeter will be overruled by this kind of person and I won’t meet many decent down to earth people. Obviously not everyone will be like this but it is quite a big deciding factor for me. I want to be able to enjoy my time there and make good friends as well as getting my degree.

I have also heard that the nightlife is pretty dead. I know it’s not going to be as big as other unis like Bristol, Leeds etc but I’d like to know whether it is fun on nights out and how many nights people tend to go out a week. I’m deciding between Exeter and Nottingham and both seem to be either end of the scale.

If anyone can tell me anything about the people, nightlife or just anything they can about the university I would really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 1
I live in the Exeter area and I don’t personally think it’s that bad. The clubs are usually filled with uni students and locals so I think u get a nice enough mix. Theres about 5 clubs that are decent but nothing amazing like the bigger cities I guess. There’s lots of bars and restaurants & we have 3 Wetherspoons here soooo 😂 I like the city tbh as most things are in walking distance and the trains connect easily to other areas like Bristol so if you did get a bit bored you can hop on a train easily. Also in regards to posh people I don’t think it’s as bad as people say! I think it’s more when somebody up north comes down they hear the southern accent and think posh but most people aren’t in my opinion. And I have lots of friends who go there who are really lovely and down to earth. I’d say come and see it though because it may be too small for what you’re looking for and it’s hard to gauge without actually visiting
Hope this helped 🙂
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by georgiacatt
I live in the Exeter area and I don’t personally think it’s that bad. The clubs are usually filled with uni students and locals so I think u get a nice enough mix. Theres about 5 clubs that are decent but nothing amazing like the bigger cities I guess. There’s lots of bars and restaurants & we have 3 Wetherspoons here soooo 😂 I like the city tbh as most things are in walking distance and the trains connect easily to other areas like Bristol so if you did get a bit bored you can hop on a train easily. Also in regards to posh people I don’t think it’s as bad as people say! I think it’s more when somebody up north comes down they hear the southern accent and think posh but most people aren’t in my opinion. And I have lots of friends who go there who are really lovely and down to earth. I’d say come and see it though because it may be too small for what you’re looking for and it’s hard to gauge without actually visiting
Hope this helped 🙂

Thank you so much this was really helpful :smile: I did visit last year and absolutely loved it but had heard so many bad things it made me doubt it. I think I’d really like it there so thanks so much for the help!!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thank you so much this was really helpful :smile: I did visit last year and absolutely loved it but had heard so many bad things it made me doubt it. I think I’d really like it there so thanks so much for the help!!

It's fine - people like to bad mouth unis they got rejected or were asked to leave!

A lot of my students go there and have met all sorts of people - there are far worse unis for snobby behaviour!
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’ve applied to Exeter to study geography and was wondering if the people there are as arrogant as people say. I’ve heard they value status and popularity and also have no manners. Coming from a not posh background I’m worried that Exeter will be overruled by this kind of person and I won’t meet many decent down to earth people. Obviously not everyone will be like this but it is quite a big deciding factor for me. I want to be able to enjoy my time there and make good friends as well as getting my degree.

I have also heard that the nightlife is pretty dead. I know it’s not going to be as big as other unis like Bristol, Leeds etc but I’d like to know whether it is fun on nights out and how many nights people tend to go out a week. I’m deciding between Exeter and Nottingham and both seem to be either end of the scale.

If anyone can tell me anything about the people, nightlife or just anything they can about the university I would really appreciate it :smile:

Hi there,

It's great to hear that you have applied to study Geography at the University of Exeter! I completely understand some of your concerns - hopefully I can offer some reassurance with my personal experience!

First, I have had absolutely no problems settling in with the student community. In fact, since I arrived, I have found the students to be really welcoming and friendly! Of course, as with any university, there are people from different walks of life, but you shouldn't be concerned about how your background will impact your experience here! Both in academic settings and in clubs and societies, I have met some really wonderful people all with very different personal situations! There is a real sense of camaraderie - university can be difficult at times, but we're all in a pretty similar boat, whether that be living alone for the first time or just trying to figure life out! As long as you get stuck in and put yourself out there, you shouldn't have any problem meeting some really great people!

In terms of the nightlife - it is definitely smaller than some of the bigger cities! However, this doesn't stop us having a good time! In my opinion, there are plenty of pubs, bars, clubs to keep things interesting if you're with the right group of people! For those who enjoying going out, the most popular nights for clubbing are generally between Wednesday and Saturday, although there is usually something on every day of the week. There are plenty of other events throughout the year as well - live music, games nights, society balls, etc. Rugby varsity is a particular favourite!

I hope this has helped in some way! Feel free to get in touch with any further questions!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending