The Student Room Group

can someone give me advice

hi,

i realise today is the start of ucas extra and would like some advice from people.

i have submitted an application for law in 2008 and have received offers from all 5 of the unis i applied to. however from the start of the application process i have been undecisive over which course i wanted to do. and for past few weeks i have realised that the decision to do law was not the right one. so what i want to know is whether people think it is worth me declining all my 5 offers and then trying to get on to another course via extra, or to wait till august, only put a firm law choice without an insurance (this way, i wont be tied to an insurance choice in august) and then hoping to get onto a course via clearing?

any advice would be very appreciated because i am a bit unclear on the whole extra/clearing processes.:smile:
Reply 1
Imo, if you're sure you don't like law and don't want to study it, don't put it as your firm choice (if you can find something better in UCAS Extra). Ring up some unis and ask them if they'd consider you and apply through Extra. If you still don't get an offer in Extra, there's still clearing. You'd be more successful in getting a place if you declined your law offers. There's no point in firming when you don't intend to study law anyway. What course do you want to do instead?
Reply 2
but the thing is, i dont want to decline all my law offers, to then not be accepted on the new course. i say this because the course i would want to do are social work or teaching and these need relevant work experience which i have to some extent but not really enough and interviews.
Reply 3
sophiejr15
but the thing is, i dont want to decline all my law offers, to then not be accepted on the new course. i say this because the course i would want to do are social work or teaching and these need relevant work experience which i have to some extent but not really enough and interviews.

this is what i intend to do at uni, i have my offers and just have to choose now! what i would say it is quite a hard process in selcting people on this course! if you intend on applying i would ring around as you would need to be interviewd have a crb check etc....so worth knowing that is what you want to do! whats made you change your mind so drastically?
Reply 4
kjstar
this is what i intend to do at uni, i have my offers and just have to choose now! what i would say it is quite a hard process in selcting people on this course! if you intend on applying i would ring around as you would need to be interviewd have a crb check etc....so worth knowing that is what you want to do! whats made you change your mind so drastically?

yeah thats what i thought, so realise i need to sort it now. i changed my mind because i originally couldnt decide between social work or law and then just made the wrong decision:frown:

can i just ask what work experience you had for social work? because this is one of the reasons i didnt apply for social work because i thought what i had wouldnt be good enough
Reply 5
sophiejr15
yeah thats what i thought, so realise i need to sort it now. i changed my mind because i originally couldnt decide between social work or law and then just made the wrong decision:frown:

can i just ask what work experience you had for social work? because this is one of the reasons i didnt apply for social work because i thought what i had wouldnt be good enough

well i have quite abit,

* went away on a weeks trust holiday as a 24hr carer with handicapped, and the elderly.
*set up a bully buddy scheme within my school
*peer mentoring
*Youth leader work
*eucharistic ministor
*lots of youth leader courses
*residential weekends with young groups
*worked on a peer safety course with the council
*working as a befreidner with mind!
* fundraising schemes with charities

lots of other randum stuff too but kind of along the same lines lol. what have you done?
Reply 6
omg, see i was right i wont get on with what i have.

i worked in a rest home for a year
i have helped run school fayres
i babysit children with downs syndrome and autism

thats sort of it, i could say that i also have experience with young children because i have lots of little brothers but that would be rubbish.

i also have a cousin with aspergers but that may not count lol
Reply 7
you should have more faith you would prob hsve more experience than alot of people who apply...you have what unis are looking for some experience to build on! all that is relevant even having a cousin with aspergers, just make people know how you have dealt with and from the experience you have got.

Latest

Trending

Trending