The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It's certainly possible - I did it with the NEC (www.nec.ac.uk). But I don't think you can be assessed in Russia, so you would have to come back here for exams. But I think to do four A-levels in one year is going to be a massive demand on your time. With the NEC, they do allow you to study an a-level in a year, but I think to do four, and to enjoy your gap year in Russia, might not be possible.
Reply 2
Well, I didn't do a language one (I did a literature one), but if you look on that website I linked to in my first post it will tell you about the method of your assesment. You get set assignments, which you have to do and then post off or email to your tutor, who will then return them with feedback (looking at the french a-level for example it looks like you will have to seven of these (as I had to do).

As for the actual examination, you can look on the website of the exam board to see what the exam criteria is.
Anatheme
How does a language A-Level works precisely ?
I know there are coursework and oral assessment, are that all ?

Bonsoir.
I take French A level and basically at AS you have 1 oral, 1 listening and 1 reading and writing paper. So that make 3 papers.
At A2 you have 2 pieces of coursework (for my board Edexcel, but others will have different requirements here I think), 1 oral, 1 listening, 1 reading paper, 1 writing paper.

A2 papers are alot harder with the oral having a huge unseen section. Reading has a large translation section and listening has a listen in french summarise in english section. Writing is just essay writing.

I think if you like languages they are easier to self teach then some other subjects because you work through grammar and vocab and things and teachers are really there just for correcting your grammar and teaching you new vocab. It shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Just looked at your profile...why would you want to take an A-level in French, if you're already...French? :confused:
Anatheme
It does, thank you ! So actually, studying those 3 A-Levels shouldn't be a problem as I'm French, I started Italian 5 years ago (I can only improve my vocabulary, I finished with grammar) and studying Russian in Russia should be easier ^^.

The NEC says that "Each of the 10 topics is self-contained and takes about 3-5 hours of study time. If you intend to take the exam and plan on studying every topic, you will need to study for at least 5 hours per week for approximately 9 months." for the French A-Level. So I would need about 15 hours per week only ? :eek:

15 hours per week for how long? I really don't think you will need that much, especially as you are french and know quite a bit of italian. Some exam practice will suit you fine and I think that is all what you will need for French and Italian.

For Russian, you know that you will learn from scratch so no problems :smile: Why Russian though?
Anatheme
Lol, I want to be interpreter (hopefully for the UN) and being able to speak 4 of the officials languages (want to study Russian and Arabic) of the UN can be an excellent opportunity. Plus I started Russian 3 years ago, I went to Moscow, and just fall in love with the city, it is just amazing !

OH.... amazing...
Bon chance! J'espere que tu peut travailler avec l'UN!

Oh god, my grammar is so bad :frown:
Reply 7
Anatheme
rottcodd : Is it possible to take A-Levels without following NEC courses ? (It could avoid me courses fees for the French one, lol)

Yes it is possible, you just have to register with a school or examining centre to take the test at. It will cost £20 - £30 max to do that.
Just a suggestion for your forth choice.
If you can handle a 4th, i'd suggest History. Its a classical subject and I mean, it's mainly content which will make a change from the technical side of grammar that you'll get from the languages.
I got a C in GCSE History because i fell asleep in both exams...long story lol and despite arguing with my school that I could pass this year, I got an A in my first unit in January.
Classic.

& on the note of studying a lanugage by yourself, if you're commited its the best. I speak portuguese but I had to teach it to myself because I never knew anything about the grammatical side. I had my portuguese AS exam today and still haven't experienced a set back in not having a teacher.

Every persons different, but its worth a try, languages are AMMAZINNN.

Latest