The Student Room Group

Help with notations please

when we work in vector form, obviously we normally underline, do we still need to underline when using it in differentiation form?
e.g a=dv/dt
Looks very awkward though especially in a fraction form
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Iconic_panda
when we work in vector form, obviously we normally underline, do we still need to underline when using it in differentiation form?
e.g a=dv/dt

you do
e.g a=dv/dt

It is good practice as it reminds you what is a vector and what isn't. Also it keeps your teacher happy. It is not crucial in exams however.

(I've always quite liked the idea of writing in bold type, as is done in print).
e.g a=dv/dt
You can underline with a wavy line (~) if you are concerned about confusion with fractions.

If you think that's ugly, think about the lecturer who used the variable Ξ\Xi (Xi, or capital xi) and then formed the expression Xi bar over Xi: ΞˉΞ\dfrac{\bar{\Xi}}{\Xi} (yes, it was an intentional bit of "lecturer humour"...)
Original post by DFranklin

If you think that's ugly, think about the lecturer who used the variable Ξ\Xi (Xi, or capital xi) and then formed the expression Xi bar over Xi: ΞˉΞ\dfrac{\bar{\Xi}}{\Xi} (yes, it was an intentional bit of "lecturer humour"...)

I saw that for the first time in my lecture notes earlier this semester - disgusting little thing!
The lower case xi ξ\xi isn't that fun to write on paper either :frown: I just do a vertical squiggle because I can never write it precisely naturally otherwise it just looks like an awkward ε\varepsilon.

Quick Reply

Latest