Finding accommodation after Clearing

student in halls room

Got a late uni place? Here's how to get your housing sorted

When you're looking for a university place in Clearing, your chosen course isn't the only thing to think about.

Because you’ll be getting your uni place confirmed quite late on, you won't have already applied for accommodation.

So, before you get prepped for an amazing fresher’s week, you’re going to need to sort out somewhere to lay your head.

Time for some research

If you're still deciding on which course to choose in Clearing, make it part of your research to check the accommodation options.

University websites will have Clearing-specific pages, where you should find information about the accommodation on offer. You should also be able to see whether a place in halls is guaranteed for new students who arrive through Clearing.

Many unis will make such a guarantee. Even if they don't, you could still find the uni is able to find you a halls room.

Once you've decided which universities to call in Clearing, you can double-check their accommodation policy over the phone.

Try to find out this information before accepting any course offer in Clearing - you'll want to be clear on whether you'll instead need to find out about private halls or a shared house. 

Getting your place

Once you've got a course place confirmed through Clearing, move straight onto your accommodation application. Some universities have quite limited halls space, so places could be allocated on a 'first come, first served' basis.

If availability is really tight, you may find yourself being put on a waiting list. Again, timing is important as you obviously want to be as near the top of the list as possible. 

If you're not sure about anything, get on the phone to them. Start with the university's accommodation office or its Clearing hotline - they will be able to answer your questions or direct you to someone who can.

What if there's no room?

If your university can’t house you directly, they may have alternatives. They might block-book space in private halls or be able to recommend you trusted landlords.

Most universities will have an approved housing list either through the accommodation teams or the student union.

Get on the phone to the university accommodation team before making any decisions. They will be able to provide help and advice that's specific to that university, and can help you understand more about contracts, locations and prices.

Private halls

University halls are owned and run by the university; private halls are run by companies separate from the university.

There are a few main differences between the two. Private halls are typically a little more expensive than university halls, but you can expect a new-ish building with good security and lots of amenities.

Private halls are generally not on campus - but they will often have a central location.

Shared house (private renting)

A shared house is just a normal house that a group of students rent from a landlord. Usually everyone has one bedroom each, and then shares the bathroom, kitchen and lounge.

The quality of shared houses varies wildly, so it’s essential to view the house before you rent it.

Don't believe everything you see on an online listing - photos can be years out of date, taken at selective angles or shot with wide angle lenses that make even the tiniest room look h-u-g-e.

When you're looking for a private house, start with your uni's accommodation service. They'll know the local rental market inside out and can give you advice on where to look (and what to look out for).

You might find the likes of Gumtree, Rightmove and Spare Room useful - as well as local letting agents.

Ask a question in the Student accommodation forum
Your question will be posted in the Student accommodation forum
Awesome! Your question has now been posted. View your post here
  1. Please choose where you want to post your question.
    Please choose your study level.
    Please enter what your question is about.
    Please enter your question.
    Your message must have two characters or more.