The Student Room Group

medicine - a prescription for depression

just wondering if there were any coping mechanisms anyone had for surviving their medical degree? throughout the last couple of years ive been perceived as a bossy, critical person who has used their "authority" to ridicule others (i worked as a manager at a retail outlet during my sixth form). i now think that this may be a subconscious way of taking my mind off what is to follow being a doctor - having learnt that continually criticising others is a sign of your own insecurity.
I ve had to experience death quite a lot over the past few years and am the kind of person who bottles it all up, but have found that this makes you 'cold' and 'distant'. I never used to be bossy and my mates have noticed a big change since i decided to go down the medicine career path. I do know deep down i want to be a doctor and i had 4 offers so thats not really the issue. Id just be interested in any advice in overcoming personality traits in a profession which has one of the highest suicide rates in the world?
Reply 1
You either manage or you don't. Alternatively, try Prozac.
Reply 2
Have you tried some community or voluntary work working with the less fortunate? Maybe that sort of thing will help...
Reply 3
Lucy
Have you tried some community or voluntary work working with the less fortunate? Maybe that sort of thing will help...

What a complete waste of time. How would extra work make him less depressed?
Reply 4
i'm not depressed, i meant it had the potential to be depressing and was just wondering what keeps students motivated during their degree. It's quite shocking the proportion of medical students that go into Law etc. after having trained to be a doctor for 5 years.
Reply 5
Community service shouldn't be considered as extra 'work' - all you have to do is talk to people, it can be quite relaxing and in those situations there is no need to be bossy or critical... could be good practice.
Reply 6
scrubs
i'm not depressed, i meant it had the potential to be depressing and was just wondering what keeps students motivated during their degree. It's quite shocking the proportion of medical students that go into Law etc. after having trained to be a doctor for 5 years.

Try thinking about what made you want to follow this career path initially. Do you still feel the same way?

If not, then maybe you should consider a change.
Reply 7
i remember doing work experience in a certain london hospital, and the House Officer was taking blood and he asked if i wanted a go. glad to see the subject of ethics was fully integrated into his medical course.
Reply 8
My Advice Would Be To Think Not Of Medicine A Career Route To A Boring Doc Job Only - Think About The Interesting Course, C It As An Opportunity That Will Open Doors For U In All Different Paths Not Just In Medicine - The Medical Degree Is Worth Much Jus On Its Own And Many Potential Employers Will Consider It Highly....c U Time At Uni As A Time For Self-development Where U Will Study, But Half The Time Ull Be Building Your Other Skills And Your Personality..think Of It As A Time That Will Set U Free Not Trap U In...! Am I Makin Sense ...cuz I Very Much Can Relate To Your Situation - Im Too Startin Uni This Year (medicine That Is)..and Can Understand The Predisposition To Depression...uni Is A Time To Start Discovering Yourself - Not Jus About Lectures...go Wiv A Positive Mentality And Dont Take Things Too Seriously Mate. Lataz.

Latest