The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Surrey V Kings pros and cons

So I want to study Economics and Politics at either Surrey or Kings. I've applied for a deferred 2019 entry to both Unis and I'm pretty sure I'll get the grades for both of them so that is not an issue. My problem is that I can't decide which of the two I should go to. I tried to make a list of pros and cons but that's still not enough for me.

On the one hand, Surrey/Guildford is a quiet and safe place, London is 40 minutes away from it with train so if I got nothing to do I can just go there. As a university it's pretty respectable, and from what I've dug it's known for it's high student satisfaction rate. Two of my close friends will be going there and from what I've heard it also has many Cypriots (which I happen to be as well). That again can be both a good thing and a bad thing though. It's main con really is that it might not offer as many opportunities as King's which is what worries me, a lot.

As for Kings, it's in London meaning I'll rarely get bored (but let's not forget Guildford is pretty close to London). It's one of the most prestigious Unis both in the UK and internationally (not that I plan to work outside Cyprus or UK but it's still a great point for King's). London as a whole isn't as safe as Guildford but I don't think that should really be factored in. My closest friend will be going to King's so just like Surrey I'll have reliable company with me. However, with all those advantages, I did hear that the student satisfaction rate isn't as high. Not wanting to brag or anything but in terms of Grades I'm good, like a 90ish% let's say. I'm worried that this might not be enough for King's unlike Surrey and I'm also worried that I won't have an enjoyable university life like my brothers did. I'm essentially going blind because I don't know anybody who studied in either places and that worries me even more.

So, as a sum up, Surrey has high student satisfaction rate but isn't as prestigious, King's has a lower student satisfaction rate but is more prestigious making me not know where to go for Economics and Politics. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
I've just moved this so it shows in both University of Surrey and King's College London forums- hopefully someone should see this and reply :h:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by FMP21
So I want to study Economics and Politics at either Surrey or Kings. I've applied for a deferred 2019 entry to both Unis and I'm pretty sure I'll get the grades for both of them so that is not an issue. My problem is that I can't decide which of the two I should go to. I tried to make a list of pros and cons but that's still not enough for me.

On the one hand, Surrey/Guildford is a quiet and safe place, London is 40 minutes away from it with train so if I got nothing to do I can just go there. As a university it's pretty respectable, and from what I've dug it's known for it's high student satisfaction rate. Two of my close friends will be going there and from what I've heard it also has many Cypriots (which I happen to be as well). That again can be both a good thing and a bad thing though. It's main con really is that it might not offer as many opportunities as King's which is what worries me, a lot.

As for Kings, it's in London meaning I'll rarely get bored (but let's not forget Guildford is pretty close to London). It's one of the most prestigious Unis both in the UK and internationally (not that I plan to work outside Cyprus or UK but it's still a great point for King's). London as a whole isn't as safe as Guildford but I don't think that should really be factored in. My closest friend will be going to King's so just like Surrey I'll have reliable company with me. However, with all those advantages, I did hear that the student satisfaction rate isn't as high. Not wanting to brag or anything but in terms of Grades I'm good, like a 90ish% let's say. I'm worried that this might not be enough for King's unlike Surrey and I'm also worried that I won't have an enjoyable university life like my brothers did. I'm essentially going blind because I don't know anybody who studied in either places and that worries me even more.

So, as a sum up, Surrey has high student satisfaction rate but isn't as prestigious, King's has a lower student satisfaction rate but is more prestigious making me not know where to go for Economics and Politics. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Hi @FMP21

Have you been to an open day at Surrey and Kings yet? You've obviously done your research on both of our universities which is great, but it's also really important that you come along for a visit, not only to have a look around the campuses, but also to speak directly to staff and current students. This will really help you to get a feel for the university and hopefully help you to make your decision! Our next open days are coming up on 22nd & 23rd June if you're interested in coming along, and I'm sure King's will have some upcoming dates as well :smile:

Emma
Reply 3
Original post by FMP21

You’ve got such a amazing opportunity to get into King’s College and you’re in doubt for Surrey?! Really? If it were UCL or LSE, I could see the point...

So hands down, go to King’s to get better chances in you future career!
(edited 5 years ago)
I would disregard everything Leeholl has said. He believes King’s is better than LSE, I go here and anyone with a modicum of common sense knows that’s untrue.

Go where you’re going to enjoy 3 years of your life the most :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest