The Student Room Group

EPQ Ideas

Has anyone got any ideas for EPQ related to medicine also something that is a controversial subject, not abortion though.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _.evangelin_5
Has anyone got any ideas for EPQ related to medicine also something that is a controversial subject, not abortion though.

That is part of the research. Just open your mind and read the papers, news and medical journals. It might be a treatment or it might be about the profession and delivery of medical services. Try not to make the area too general. Make a list of the topics and after about 2 weeks pick your 5 favourites to explore more and then start to see how a plan might work plus what resources there are. Some will not be as promising as you thought so get it down to 2 or 3 and do further research or talk to your tutor.

Fo with the one that interests you has good resources and you have a clear plan that lets you show off your skills of investigation, identifying issues, analysis, selection an evaluation.

It is a mistake imo to choose before you have had a good luck.
Medicine is a vast subject - if you can narrow it down to 2-3 broad fields (e.g. heart [cardiology] OR gut [gastroenterology] that you have an interest in or something related to health that you have seen in the news or even an illness or situation that a family member or friend has faced, I can certainly point you in the right direction.
Should the NHS fund IVF?
Why not uses of stem cells and the debates around the different ways to use them
Original post by 999tigger
That is part of the research. Just open your mind and read the papers, news and medical journals. It might be a treatment or it might be about the profession and delivery of medical services. Try not to make the area too general. Make a list of the topics and after about 2 weeks pick your 5 favourites to explore more and then start to see how a plan might work plus what resources there are. Some will not be as promising as you thought so get it down to 2 or 3 and do further research or talk to your tutor.

Fo with the one that interests you has good resources and you have a clear plan that lets you show off your skills of investigation, identifying issues, analysis, selection an evaluation.

It is a mistake imo to choose before you have had a good luck.

thank you
Original post by macpatelgh
Medicine is a vast subject - if you can narrow it down to 2-3 broad fields (e.g. heart [cardiology] OR gut [gastroenterology] that you have an interest in or something related to health that you have seen in the news or even an illness or situation that a family member or friend has faced, I can certainly point you in the right direction.

I'm interested in subjects like drug/alcohol abuse, should they receive treatment through NHS? or fields like cardiology or research such as genetic research?
thank you
Ok great stuff! I wo the cardiology prize as med student, and genetics is almost paving the way in medicine today.

Give me a few minutes - I will give you some great ideas for your EPQ - let me think a bit!

Watch this space.
Immunisation
embryonic stem cells
Hi again,

TSR needs to have facility to continuously save what you type - I typed in 3 paragraphs for you soon after my last post, PC crashed and lost all!

Anyway, I'll try again:-

CARDIOLOGY:
Consider this topic: "The relative merits of exercise electrocardiography testing, coronary arteriography and cardiac magnetic resonance (CMR) imaging as methods to further evaluate diagnosis of angina pectoris".

Ok this sounds a bit complex to you I am sure, BUT:-
a) It is something that is being disputed hotly currently with different viewpoints in UK, USA and developing countries, respectively.
b) I am happy to explain the basics to you: you have probs heard of exercise ECG, where the patient exercises quite intensively on a treadmill with increasing effort and the doctor looks to see if there are changes in the ECG that might indicate coronary artery stenosis; In coronary arteriography, a radio-opaque contrast medium ("dye") is injected intravenously (into a vein) and a special x-ray taken that shows up the blood flowing in the coronary arteries as white (radio-opaque = opaque to x-rays) disclosing any stenosis [narrowing];
The third test is an MRI of the heart. , and shows up precisely which arteries are blocked, but is expensive.
c) I can supply you with a lot of research data and info.
d) Your teachers will not know much about it, so you can get away with minor errors.:smile:

ACTUALLY, I MIGHT BE GETTING CARRIED AWAY WITH MY SHELDON-NESS (!); perhaps this might be a bit advanced at your level. Let me think of an alternative that is less technical, although don't discard the above completely.
BTW thanks so much for the rep - you gave it to me before I even did what I promised - nice of you!

GENETICS:

"Personalized medicine: will knowing one's complete genome be the future of disease prevention and treatment?"

Med Gen bk Ch14 Scrsht 2.png
Original post by macpatelgh
BTW thanks so much for the rep - you gave it to me before I even did what I promised - nice of you!

GENETICS:

"Personalized medicine: will knowing one's complete genome be the future of disease prevention and treatment?"

Med Gen bk Ch14 Scrsht 2.png

Thank you very much for this, it has helped 😁
Original post by _.evangelin_5
Thank you very much for this, it has helped 😁

@_.evangelin_5

Chk PM
Reply 14
sorry I rewrote the message twice
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 15
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
Hi again,

TSR needs to have facility to continuously save what you type - I typed in 3 paragraphs for you soon after my last post, PC crashed and lost all!

Anyway, I'll try again:-

CARDIOLOGY:
Consider this topic: "The relative merits of exercise electrocardiography testing, coronary arteriography and cardiac magnetic resonance (CMR) imaging as methods to further evaluate diagnosis of angina pectoris".

Ok this sounds a bit complex to you I am sure, BUT:-
a) It is something that is being disputed hotly currently with different viewpoints in UK, USA and developing countries, respectively.
b) I am happy to explain the basics to you: you have probs heard of exercise ECG, where the patient exercises quite intensively on a treadmill with increasing effort and the doctor looks to see if there are changes in the ECG that might indicate coronary artery stenosis; In coronary arteriography, a radio-opaque contrast medium ("dye") is injected intravenously (into a vein) and a special x-ray taken that shows up the blood flowing in the coronary arteries as white (radio-opaque = opaque to x-rays) disclosing any stenosis [narrowing];
The third test is an MRI of the heart. , and shows up precisely which arteries are blocked, but is expensive.
c) I can supply you with a lot of research data and info.
d) Your teachers will not know much about it, so you can get away with minor errors.:smile:

ACTUALLY, I MIGHT BE GETTING CARRIED AWAY WITH MY SHELDON-NESS (!); perhaps this might be a bit advanced at your level. Let me think of an alternative that is less technical, although don't discard the above completely.

Hi is possible if you could send me some research on this project as I want to do something very similar for my EPQ. I would be very greatful.
Original post by da_r
Hi there. Is possible if you could provide me some research on this topic as I would like to have this as my EPQ project.

Sure give me a day or 2 - hold tight! [Travelling at 24000 mph in the Mars project can be scary!! [sorry! :colondollar:]].
Reply 17
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
Sure give me a day or 2 - hold tight! [Travelling at 24000 mph in the Mars project can be scary!! [sorry! :colondollar:]].

Thank you so much!!!!!!! And don`t be sorry 🙂
(edited 1 year ago)
Good morn!

Hopefully this will push you off the cliff in Dover [sorry [again haha!] dw ONLY metaphorically - I rescue people in trouble NOT put them into hassle! :colondollar:]

Hopefully these will help [one at a time maybe cos big files].

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending