The Student Room Group

Revisions tips for Certificate of Finance?

Hi,

I am planning to take the CEFS qualification alongside the 4 A2 levels next year (not dropping or planning to drop any subjects). I am planning to learn most of it over summer and just do light work (as we were given summer homework to learn definitions and look at the first two units and answer case study questions).

Is CEFS easy? Is a lot of work required to get an A/A*? Are there past papers that you can access? (Can't seem to find any atm).

Thanks a lot,
Quizlet :smile:
Well I got an A in it without too much stress but it's quite hard to get the A*--the multiple choice examination is really easy but the written exam is marked harshly and accounts for 65% of your grade.

The past papers are available in the teacher resources section if you have a LibF account and there are multiple choice tests on the website for each topic of each unit. There aren't very many though and you should be wary that some of the older written papers may have a different format to the current ones (ie no distinct case study/non case study section). The case studies also change every year (although generally case studies based on a similar stage of the personal lifecycle are similar). The answers in the old papers might also be out of date as financial limits change every year, so tax calculated based on today's rates would be different to previous years.

Honestly I don't think the qualification has much point with regards to universities not caring about it, in particular if you're taking 4 A-Levels. But it should be fairly easy to get at least a respectable B or above because you can resit all exams for free and you get the higher of your two attempts counted toward your final grade.
Original post by camfanclash
Well I got an A in it without too much stress but it's quite hard to get the A*--the multiple choice examination is really easy but the written exam is marked harshly and accounts for 65% of your grade.

The past papers are available in the teacher resources section if you have a LibF account and there are multiple choice tests on the website for each topic of each unit. There aren't very many though and you should be wary that some of the older written papers may have a different format to the current ones (ie no distinct case study/non case study section). The case studies also change every year (although generally case studies based on a similar stage of the personal lifecycle are similar). The answers in the old papers might also be out of date as financial limits change every year, so tax calculated based on today's rates would be different to previous years.

Honestly I don't think the qualification has much point with regards to universities not caring about it, in particular if you're taking 4 A-Levels. But it should be fairly easy to get at least a respectable B or above because you can resit all exams for free and you get the higher of your two attempts counted toward your final grade.

Do universities really care if you resit the exam or is that something teachers do to scare you?
Reply 3
Original post by camfanclash
Is it your highest grade that if your final grade l for example you got 29 on part b and you resisted the part b again and got 20 which grade is the final one
Original post by cool02
Is it your highest grade that if your final grade l for example you got 29 on part b and you resisted the part b again and got 20 which grade is the final one
29 would be your highest grade
Reply 5
Original post by Sruthiksha
29 would be your highest grade
So it is the highest mark that will be your final grade
Original post by cool02
So it is the highest mark that will be your final grade
Yes that’s right whatever your highest mark is that is your final mark

Quick Reply

Latest