The Student Room Group
I don't think RE and Citizenship are that important- I'm not doing GCSE Citizenship and we only did a Short Course in RE. I suppose it increases your understanding of world religions and moral issues and stuff, but it's not nearly as important as ENglish, Sciences, Maths IMO

It depends what you got 73/100 on- the paper or coursework? What % of your final grade is the 73/100? I would say that yes it's still possible to get an A whatever the % though, because I think an A is about 75% so you're not far off.
Reply 2
hey, i did my GCSE's last year and citizenship counted for nothing when i did it....R.E probably depends on whether its full or half course....

and for your ICT it all depends on what percentage your coursework is,
good luck :smile: x
Reply 3
It exam counts for 35%
Reply 4
Although R.E and Citizenship are not that important you should be aiming for an AA or A*A*.
They would look quite good on your CV :smile:
I don't think they are that important, but nevertheless you should be aiming as high as possible! I'm sure you can still get an A at the end of the day, don't worry :smile:
For me, R.E was very important, as I took some form of it at A Level, plus there is a chance I may be doing a Theology degree. It's entirely subjective, don't write it off.
Reply 7
At my school, RE was an official joke. No one took it seriously at all, including the teachers (secretly, but obviously...)
two reasons.
1 - It's pretty useless. No one is going to ask for a specific grade at re gcse EVER. Unlike something like english lang/maths, which many sixth forms, unis, employers will ask for at at least a C, normally.
2 - it's just so easy. We were given a text book, which none of us paid any attention to until about two weeks before the exam. All we had to do was read it through, memorise a load of very short quotes, and we got something like 90% A*/A (and we're a state comp, so there was quite a range of people in our class)

I don't know about citizenship, I'd never heard of it before tsr... Doesn't sound particularly important, though...

so don't worry about re :smile: as long as you're fairly intelligent, it'll be a complete doddle to get a decent grade, and then you can forget about it.

edit: unless like nothingspek ^ , it's something that genuinely interests you, and you want to take it further.
afua12
At my school, RE was an official joke. No one took it seriously at all, including the teachers (secretly, but obviously...)
two reasons.
1 - It's pretty useless. No one is going to ask for a specific grade at re gcse EVER. Unlike something like english lang/maths, which many sixth forms, unis, employers will ask for at at least a C, normally.
2 - it's just so easy. We were given a text book, which none of us paid any attention to until about two weeks before the exam. All we had to do was read it through, memorise a load of very short quotes, and we got something like 90% A*/A (and we're a state comp, so there was quite a range of people in our class)

I don't know about citizenship, I'd never heard of it before tsr... Doesn't sound particularly important, though...

so don't worry about re :smile: as long as you're fairly intelligent, it'll be a complete doddle to get a decent grade, and then you can forget about it.

That's absolute rubbish I'm afraid.
Depends if it's short course or full course.

All full courses are just as important as each other (excluding core subjects and those you take at college).

All short courses are not important at all. Both the colleges I'm applying to have made me offers EXCLUDING what I get for my short-courses. If colleges won't even look at them then who will?

Remember once you take your A-levels / do your degree, the only thing you'll put down on your CV as far as GCSEs are concerned are your grades and not the subjects you took them in. So your employers won't know if you got your A* in "Quadruple Maths" or "Short Course Media Studies". Get the best grade out of the dossers whilst you can (assuming CT is doss). Could pay off...
Reply 10
nothingspek
That's absolute rubbish I'm afraid.

well, for us it was. Maybe you did a different course to us?
Loser222
It exam counts for 35%

Then yes you can definitely stll get an A. Assuming the A boundary is 80%, which is probably about the highest it can be, you will get an A if you get an average of 84% or higher on the other parts of the course.
afua12
well, for us it was. Maybe you did a different course to us?

It doesn't matter if I did a different course to you, the principles are still the same. R.E develops your knowledge and understand of Christianity as well as any other religions you have studied. Religion plays a central role in our society today, without understanding it, you'll have no real basis for discussion. Importantly though, it gives you the opportunity to reflect and enables us to hold respect and sensitivity for others, and different faiths etc, ultimately, combating prejudice.

It is, as important as any other subject you do. Some subjects run deeper than just face value :rolleyes:
Reply 13
nothingspek
It doesn't matter if I did a different course to you, the principles are still the same. R.E develops your knowledge and understand of Christianity as well as any other religions you have studied. Religion plays a central role in our society today, without understanding it, you'll have no real basis for discussion. Importantly though, it gives you the opportunity to reflect and enables us to hold respect and sensitivity for others, and different faiths etc, ultimately, combating prejudice.

It is, as important as any other subject you do. Some subjects run deeper than just face value :rolleyes:

I didn't say I didn't value the subject, just having it as a gcse is pretty worthless.

Learning about Christianity isn't something I'd place that much importance on... of course, it has importance, but not to the extent where I would equal it to a maths/science gcse... Imo, all we really need is a lesson (or at max 2) a week giving us a main overview of the main world religions, so that we don't go aorund accusing them of something stupid, like withcraft etc.

The tolerance/sensitivity should come from education in general. Learning about Christian belifs on marriage/racism/fertility treatment is not going to develop any sort of respect on my part for them at all...

And as you said, subjects run deeper than face value, so why can't we learn about tolerance from subjects such as english (where we study international literature) or modern languages? or history?

edit: oh, and I thought you were talking about the difficulty, so I was wondering if maybe your course was more difficult than ours.
afua12
I didn't say I didn't value the subject, just having it as a gcse is pretty worthless.

Learning about Christianity isn't something I'd place that much importance on... of course, it has importance, but not to the extent where I would equal it to a maths/science gcse... Imo, all we really need is a lesson (or at max 2) a week giving us a main overview of the main world religions, so that we don't go aorund accusing them of something stupid, like withcraft etc.

The tolerance/sensitivity should come from education in general. Learning about Christian belifs on marriage/racism/fertility treatment is not going to develop any sort of respect on my part for them at all...

And as you said, subjects run deeper than face value, so why can't we learn about tolerance from subjects such as english (where we study international literature) or modern languages? or history?

edit: oh, and I thought you were talking about the difficulty, so I was wondering if maybe your course was more difficult than ours.

It's not even that easy.
Sure, we learn about tolerance from a lot of other subjects, but not in the religious sense. Saying that having a GCSE in R.E is worthless is wrong.
RE is a good GCSE to have because the grade boundaries are so high - A* is 90%+ usually. However, some of the specs can be so out of date that most of the material is irrelevant, highly politically correct and therefore not usually very useful in practical terms.

Latest