The Student Room Group
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe

Bucks New University Accommodation Recommendation?

Hello,

I am looking at applying for Accommodation at Bucks New Uni, and having done the look-about online it really does reflect on the price!
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendation as to where in the High Wycombe accommodation is best?

If you did go for Hughenden Park/ Windsor House , did you pay for it by your loan? Did you get through the year without struggling?

I'm looking at the studio rooms, as I like the idea of having my own bathroom and kitchen and it looks like a lot better in size to the Brook Street Room 1 option! I've read a few reviews on Brook street saying they feel like prison cells, what about the Studio rooms?

Any help/ advice, would be really appreciated!

Thank you, Kim :smile:
Original post by Kim^-^
Hello,

I am looking at applying for Accommodation at Bucks New Uni, and having done the look-about online it really does reflect on the price!
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendation as to where in the High Wycombe accommodation is best?

If you did go for Hughenden Park/ Windsor House , did you pay for it by your loan? Did you get through the year without struggling?

I'm looking at the studio rooms, as I like the idea of having my own bathroom and kitchen and it looks like a lot better in size to the Brook Street Room 1 option! I've read a few reviews on Brook street saying they feel like prison cells, what about the Studio rooms?

Whether or not you will struggle depends on the size of your maintenance loan and contributions from part-time employment, savings, or from parents. You need to do a budget :smile:

Moved to the Buckinghamshire New University subforum :smile:
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe
Reply 2
I would be going off my loan and what I have saved so far (which isnt that much!). I would definitely want to try and get a part time job to help with finance and as such. But how can I budget when I dont know a) where ill be staying b) how much loan I will get (I am sill waiting on my letter) and C) how much everything will come to eg: food, transport ect..

Thank you for your reply tho!
Original post by Kim^-^
Hello,

Hi Kim

If you don't receive answers from any students on here about their experiences of accommodation, we also have another platform you can use - https://theaccessplatform.com/u/bucksnew

You can read answers to questions about accommodation and budgeting that other applicants have asked, and you can also post your questions on there too. There's also a couple of police studies student ambassadors on there that you could speak to too!

Hope this helps

Laura
Reply 4
I was living in student halls for my first year at Uni. When I first moved in, I was living at Windsor House. I spent like 2 weeks there. However, I had to switch accommodations because my parents knew I wouldn't be able to pay £2K + once every 3 months. It was a hard choice, but I did what I thought was right. So I reluctantly moved to Brook Street. The transition was awful. I felt like I had downgraded. Coming from a en suite room, to standard, and having to share a bathroom with people I didn't know. It was horrible, but slowly settled in. I had a friend who was living in a studio room in Brook Street, and he said it was nice having your own bathroom, bed and kitchen, but certain appliances prevented him from eating certain foods. Instead of having a oven, he had a microwave oven. And there were many empty holes underneath the worktop, which could have been great to have kitchen drawers. The en suite rooms in Windsor House had all the appliances you needed, but Brook Street Studio was limited.

I'm going to my second year, and decided not to go back to student halls, but to look for a cheaper accommodation in High Wycombe. I'm not trying to put you off from going to Brook Street, I mean I did have fun in the end, and ended up crying when the contract was over, but you may have a better experience than I did.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by temi'97
I was living in student halls for my first year at Uni. When I first moved in, I was living at Windsor House. I spent like 2 weeks there. However, I had to switch accommodations because my parents knew I wouldn't be able to pay £2K + once every 3 months. It was a hard choice, but I did what I thought was right. So I reluctantly moved to Brook Street. The transition was awful. I felt like I had downgraded. Coming from a en suite room, to standard, and having to share a bathroom with people I didn't know. It was horrible, but slowly settled in. I had a friend who was living in a studio room in Brook Street, and he said it was nice having your own bathroom, bed and kitchen, but certain appliances prevented him from eating certain foods. Instead of having a oven, he had a microwave oven. And there were many empty holes underneath the worktop, which could have been great to have kitchen drawers. The en suite rooms in Windsor House had all the appliances you needed, but Brook Street Studio was limited.

I'm going to my second year, and decided not to go back to student halls, but to look for a cheaper accommodation in High Wycombe. I'm not trying to put you off from going to Brook Street, I mean I did have fun in the end, and ended up crying when the contract was over, but you may have a better experience than I did.

Thanks for sharing your story @temi'97!

@Kim^-^, we are offering tours of our Windsor House and Brook Street Halls accommodation at 2pm tomorrow during our Clearing Welcome Day - it might be a bit short notice for you but may be helpful to come and have a look around and help with your decision! As @temi'97 says, wherever you choose will take a bit of getting used to, but I'm sure you'll settle in! And just remember, everyone else will be new and in the same boat as you too! I guess it's a question of weighing everything up in terms of what you're looking for and what your budget is, as all three halls of residence all offer different things.

Let us know what you decide to go with in the end!

Laura
Reply 6
Hi Laura,

Thanks for the info! I'm struggling to find the book a tour of accommodation? Unfortunately I live 4 hours away and I am working for next 2 weeks! I was wondering, is there any chance I could come up for the day and have a look around? If this is not possible, that is fine, but id really like to know a but more before I arrive! I have also chosen Brook Street Standard room- just waiting to hear back!

Thank you for all your help as always!

Kim :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by temi'97

Thank you for getting back to me! I really appreciate it. I've decided to go for Brook Street, and hopefully get the whole experience being a first year!
Original post by Kim^-^
Hi Laura,

Thanks for the info! I'm struggling to find the book a tour of accommodation? Unfortunately I live 4 hours away and I am working for next 2 weeks! I was wondering, is there any chance I could come up for the day and have a look around? If this is not possible, that is fine, but id really like to know a but more before I arrive! I have also chosen Brook Street Standard room- just waiting to hear back!

Thank you for all your help as always!

Kim :smile:

Hi @Kim^-^

The accommodation tours are usually only offered during our events such as Open Days and Clearing Welcome Days.

We do offer general tours of the campus on Tuesdays and Thursdays though so you can come and have a look around our facilities, and also familiarise yourself with the town before you arrive!- you can book on to a campus tour on our website here: https://bucks.ac.uk/applying-to-bucks/undergraduate/campus-tours

If you'd like to meet an academic during this visit, just send an email over to [email protected] to request this and we'll see if we can arrange this (just make sure you give us lots of notice!). You can also speak to the accommodation team if there's any questions you had for them too - I think it's unlikely that you'll be able to view the accommodation during your visit but you could always request this by emailing the advice email address and they can always ask the question!

Great news that you've made your accommodation choice. Don't forget that with the choice you have made you should also be eligible for the Foundation Year bursary - £1,500 off your accommodation fees and £500 cash bonus once you've completed your foundation year! More info can be found on our website, and you just need to email [email protected] with your full name, date of birth and name of the course you've applied for and say that you've spoken to me and that I think you'd be eligible for the bursary, then they'll sort everything else from there!

Have a great weekend!

Laura
Reply 9
Original post by Bucks New University
Hi @Kim^-^

The accommodation tours are usually only offered during our events such as Open Days and Clearing Welcome Days.

We do offer general tours of the campus on Tuesdays and Thursdays though so you can come and have a look around our facilities, and also familiarise yourself with the town before you arrive!- you can book on to a campus tour on our website here: https://bucks.ac.uk/applying-to-bucks/undergraduate/campus-tours

If you'd like to meet an academic during this visit, just send an email over to [email protected] to request this and we'll see if we can arrange this (just make sure you give us lots of notice!). You can also speak to the accommodation team if there's any questions you had for them too - I think it's unlikely that you'll be able to view the accommodation during your visit but you could always request this by emailing the advice email address and they can always ask the question!

Great news that you've made your accommodation choice. Don't forget that with the choice you have made you should also be eligible for the Foundation Year bursary - £1,500 off your accommodation fees and £500 cash bonus once you've completed your foundation year! More info can be found on our website, and you just need to email [email protected] with your full name, date of birth and name of the course you've applied for and say that you've spoken to me and that I think you'd be eligible for the bursary, then they'll sort everything else from there!

Have a great weekend!

Laura

Thank you !! Is tomorrow an open day then? Sorry for all the questions!
Original post by Kim^-^
Thank you !! Is tomorrow an open day then? Sorry for all the questions!

@Kim^-^ it's honestly fine, it's what I'm here for! :biggrin:

We're running a Clearing Welcome Day tomorrow - it's basically just a drop in session with current students and you can have a tour of the campus and accommodation, and meet the admissions team if you have any questions about your application. It's on a much smaller scale than an open day and there won't be academics around unfortunately. I guess it depends what you want to get out of your visit as to whether it would be better to join one of our weekly campus tours instead..

Hope this helps!

Laura
Reply 11
@Kim^-^ it's honestly fine, it's what I'm here for! :biggrin:

We're running a Clearing Welcome Day tomorrow - it's basically just a drop in session with current students and you can have a tour of the campus and accommodation, and meet the admissions team if you have any questions about your application. It's on a much smaller scale than an open day and there won't be academics around unfortunately. I guess it depends what you want to get out of your visit as to whether it would be better to join one of our weekly campus tours instead..

Hope this helps!

Laura

Would I need to book to come tomorrow? And would you say it is worth it to go tomorrow? Thanks Kim
Original post by Kim^-^
Would I need to book to come tomorrow? And would you say it is worth it to go tomorrow? Thanks Kim

Hi @Kim^-^

Sorry for the late reply! You can book on for tomorrow via our website - just click the Clearing Welcome Day link on the square at the bottom of our homepage - bucks.ac.uk.

It's worth it if you want to come and have a look around the campus and view the accommodation, but as I said, we can try and arrange this for you on another date if tomorrow is too short notice as I know it's a long journey for you!

Up to you :smile:

Laura
Reply 13
Hi @Kim^-^

Sorry for the late reply! You can book on for tomorrow via our website - just click the Clearing Welcome Day link on the square at the bottom of our homepage - bucks.ac.uk.

It's worth it if you want to come and have a look around the campus and view the accommodation, but as I said, we can try and arrange this for you on another date if tomorrow is too short notice as I know it's a long journey for you!

Up to you :smile:

Laura

No, don't apologize I appreciate you replying so late! I have booked and will be up tomorrow!! Really looking forward to it! Thank you for the support! Kim
You can ring me on my no07494980380Safina

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending