The Student Room Group

Do i bother bringing decorations for my accom

I'm thinking abt what i should bring for uni next year. Is it worth it bringing decorations for the room? I'm going to be there fore like 3/4 years so surely i'll be buying stuff I like throughtout it all. Would people recommend it or only do it if i have space to rbing

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

I lived in accommodation for 3 years and I would definitely recommend bringing your own decorations. The student accommodation rooms often lack personality or warmth so it is always best to add something of your own.

Also it is very likely you will keep buying or adding new decorations (as your taste or preferences may change) but do whatever makes you feel more comfortable, as 3 to 4 years is a long time. Thus it is best if you feel at ease in your room.

Best of luck and have fun decorating your new room!

Melanie
LSBU Rep
Reply 2
Would also recommend bringing decorations:smile:. The first few weeks are especially hard and it's nice to just have some things you can look at to remind you of home/enjoyment, like posters and paintings and such. Even things like fairy lights and such serve to brighten up your room a bit.
For that feeling of something from home I'd definitely recommend bringing at least something, though of course many buy things throughout too.
Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
I'm thinking abt what i should bring for uni next year. Is it worth it bringing decorations for the room? I'm going to be there fore like 3/4 years so surely i'll be buying stuff I like throughtout it all. Would people recommend it or only do it if i have space to rbing

Hi,

From experience, I wish I had brought more small pieces of decoration with me into my accommodation. University accommodations tend to be a copy-paste layout. Therefore, I think by bringing some of your own decoration, it would make the transition into your new home would be much more exciting.

Perhaps you might consider bringing decorations that are more sentimental, so if you missed home- you would have something to care for. You could always buy something cute at the shops, but rarely ever anything sentimental.

Wishing you all the best in university!
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 4
I never saw the point. My room was pretty Spartan and that was ok because I was barely ever there anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
I never saw the point. My room was pretty Spartan and that was ok because I was barely ever there anyway.

No, no, no gjd800!

My daughter and her compatriots can't be without fairylights.

Also, plants (plastic are fine if they look real), cushions, a comfortable chair, a rug to brighten a gloomy carpet and cover student-type stains, a nice throw for the bed. Lamps to create a cosy atmosphere.

A notice board for photos of family and friends.

This is more for the OP tbf. :biggrin:
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 6
Dunelm and Ikea are good for this kind of thing.
Reply 7
Original post by Cote1
No, no, no gjd800!

Also, plants (plastic are fine if they look real), cushions, a comfortable chair, a rug to brighten a gloomy carpet and cover student-type stains, a nice throw for the bed. Lamps to create a cosy atmosphere.

All sounds a bit pointless to me. I had a couple of Buddhist statues and that was it.

Hey there!

I'd personally recommend buying them when you get there. It does take up a lot of space in the car and there's always the possibility that things could get smashed or damaged. I also found that I wasn't exactly sure what the space would be like in my room or what colour themes there would be as some accommodations have feature walls. Sometimes it's best to see your room in person first and see what works and what you can squeeze in so it doesn't look cluttered. I would recommend printing off some FreePrint pictures before you go to cover up any noticeboards you may have. That way you can have a taste of home at university.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hey! :smile:

I would definitely recommend bringing some decorations to make your space homely for when you move in! I feel as though when I moved into halls in my first year that putting up decorations was a good way to settle into my room and make me feel far less home-sick because you have some nice items from home to make it personal to you :h:

Some items I would recommend bringing could be some plants (real or artificial!), LED lights to help you chill out in the evenings, and some photos of friends and family to put up around the room too! Does anyone else have some suggestions of what's best to bring as room decorations?

Good luck moving into uni next year! :cool:

- Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep :biggrin:
Original post by Cote1
No, no, no gjd800!

Some unis don't allow fairy lights ...
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
Some unis don't allow fairy lights ...

Good point. I always went with battery lights which are a fairly safe bet.

Hiya ! :hello:

I would recommend bringing some decorations. When you move somewhere new it is nice to have the comforts of home as you may feel a bit homesick :sad: the first few weeks and it can feel reassuring to have homely items around :smile:. It is also quite fun when you move in to decorate your room and keep re-arranging stuff around and finding what suits your new room best and making it your own; as most rooms look the same but it's how it's decorated which makes it yours and unique. However, try not to pack too much as it depends on how much you can physically pack but you also don't want to overcrowd your room either.

As I said, you don't have to bring loads as you don't know what you're woking with until you move in but a few personal items I would recommend is:

-Photos (most accommodations have some sort of notice boards so also bring push pins but if not bring a few photo frames also or a photo album)

-Some sort of lights (check with accommodation rules but fairy lights, funky neon light signs, night lights or at least a lamp, I think they are really underrated when you just want to chill out in the evenings) :cool:

-Artificial / real plants :flower2: (just brings a bit of life to the room)

-Blanket/ Throw

-A plush (or a few because they are sentimental to have in your room)

And just general items which make you happy. :smile: This is just a bit more of a general list but this is what we have on our website at DMU. And just a tip, when I moved into my accommodation I asked my friends what they brought / are bringing in case I hadn't thought of something they had and I also looked at social media pages such as Tik Tok.

Hope this helps,
Maddie :heart:, second year health and well-being student at De Montfort University
(edited 6 months ago)

Hi there

I would recommend bringing decorations for your room. :smile: I echo the advices above, adding your own personal touches to a room can make you feel more comfortable and the environment more home like. :biggrin: It is true that you will be buying things throughout the year, and that is fine too! Having some decorations to start off with is a really good idea. :smile:

Good luck!
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep
Hey! :smile:

I would definitely recommend bringing some decorations to make your space homely for when you move in! I feel as though when I moved into halls in my first year that putting up decorations was a good way to settle into my room and make me feel far less home-sick because you have some nice items from home to make it personal to you :h:

Some items I would recommend bringing could be some plants (real or artificial!), LED lights to help you chill out in the evenings, and some photos of friends and family to put up around the room too! Does anyone else have some suggestions of what's best to bring as room decorations?

Good luck moving into uni next year! :cool:

- Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep :biggrin:

Hi there!Does uni of Plymouth allow fairy lights?
Reply 15
Original post by Tinytruffles

Battery fairy lights are a safe bet. It's the plug-in ones that universities do not like and some do not allow. I always got my daughter battery ones. They work just as well. At least I assume that universities will allow battery ones.

Hi there!

I definitely think that bringing decorations to uni is a great idea, the more you can make your halls feel like home the better! I always have lots of blankets and cushions to help my room feel like home and me and my flat mate swap in and out seasonal decorations as well. This really helps to make your house feel like a home!

I hope this helps!

- Rebecca, 4th Year UCLan
Original post by Tinytruffles

Hiya! University of Plymouth halls of residence do allow fairy lights and similar decorations! The only thing that isn’t permitted is the use of candles or plug in air fresheners, so there’s lots of choice in what you could bring with you :h:

- Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Rep :smile:

Hi,

I would 100% recommend bringing some decorations to make your room your own as university rooms tend to be a bit plain and boring so adding a bit of colour and personality will make it so much more homely and welcoming for you during your time at university. I've lived in halls for 3 years now and every year I bring things like photos, blankets, posters and fairy lights to make it feel like my room and a little warmer.

I hope this helps,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Only if you have space to bring things. It also doesn't have to be anything too big or heavy, so postcards/ photos are an easy win!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending