The Student Room Group

Getting into med school without alevel chem

Is it possible to get into med school without a level chemistry? I know some schools don't require it , am i limiting myself without it? Currently in yr 10 but thinking about A levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tom47234912348
Is it possible to get into med school without a level chemistry? I know some schools don't require it , am i limiting myself without it? Currently in yr 10 but thinking about A levels

yes you are
Get extra help with chemistry if you feel like you’re struggling? And you’ve got time you’re only year 10. Basically most if not all medical schools need A level Chemistry
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Original post by Petiteroseary
Get extra help with chemistry if you feel like you’re struggling? And you’ve got time you’re only year 10. Basically most if not all medical schools need A level Chemistry

some don't but its life 4 of them
i have seen about 5 or something that don't require it but I am limiting myself if I don't take it. I just don't think i could get the required A for chemistry.
Original post by Petiteroseary

Also what grades should i be getting at gcse sciences to have a better chance?
Original post by jacksmith23
some don't but its life 4 of them

Yeah so you’re massively limiting yourself
Not possible

It is entirely possible yes it would be limiting but if yk you cant get an A it might be a better option your only in year 10 work on your gcses see how you do, work on chemistry if you feel confident take it if not dont
ik someone who didnt take chemistry they are in medical school now just work on your strengths as this person was only able to apply to 3 medical schools due to low gcses as well as not taking chem so im not saying its easy just that it is possible
Reply 10

There are currently 13 med schools that do not require chemistry, so not offering it will limit your numbers, but given you can only apply to 4, there would still be plenty of options.
If you can get As in chem and bio, you are best to take them, but if not, then 1 or the other with another STEM subject, eg maths, physics, psychology will still give you options, provided your other stats are good
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422
(check the entry requiremetns for when you apply, as there is no guarantee they will stay the same)
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Original post by lilysilly_5454
It is entirely possible yes it would be limiting but if yk you cant get an A it might be a better option your only in year 10 work on your gcses see how you do, work on chemistry if you feel confident take it if not dont
ik someone who didnt take chemistry they are in medical school now just work on your strengths as this person was only able to apply to 3 medical schools due to low gcses as well as not taking chem so im not saying its easy just that it is possible

thanks i really appreciate it , do you know if they had something else which boosted their profile? Will i need to excel in other thing to bring me up to the same standard as everyone else?
thanks i really appreciate it , do you know if they had something else which boosted their profile? Will i need to excel in other thing to bring me up to the same standard as everyone else?

Honestly I think you just need to have passion and research a lot but this is just in general to make yourself a competitive applicant Ik they met a few like 1 widening participation criteria so that allowed them to apply one more option so that’s just so you have more choice than before so also look at foundation year courses if you meet wp but a high ucat can definitely help I think his was like 2950+ but again that’s just a part of an application that could help anyone
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Reply 13

You don't need to do anything to bring you up to the standard of anyone else. If a med school doesn't require chemistry, not having it will not detract from your application in any way. So you need good GCSEs/A levels/UCAT/PS depending on what they use to shortlist, but you do not need to compensate for not sitting chemistry.
If a med school does require chemistry and you so not have it, nothing will compensate, I'm afraid
Original post by GANFYD
You don't need to do anything to bring you up to the standard of anyone else. If a med school doesn't require chemistry, not having it will not detract from your application in any way. So you need good GCSEs/A levels/UCAT/PS depending on what they use to shortlist, but you do not need to compensate for not sitting chemistry.
If a med school does require chemistry and you so not have it, nothing will compensate, I'm afraid

yeh honestly I'm just going to see how it goes , i have a year before my gcse so no point ruling something out at this point. I just know that my chem rn is weak im taking combined science though ( which is not problem ). I just need to focus on getting top gcse results at this point and also in the process of picking 6 forms.
Reply 15
yeh honestly I'm just going to see how it goes , i have a year before my gcse so no point ruling something out at this point. I just know that my chem rn is weak im taking combined science though ( which is not problem ). I just need to focus on getting top gcse results at this point and also in the process of picking 6 forms.

Yep, that sounds sensible. Deal with the next hurdle in front of you and just avoid closing off any options, where possible. It is far better to get AAA+ without chem (as long as you have bio and another STEM as above) than it is to get AAB including chem.
Good luck with it all and do ask if any more questions

A small selection of medical schools do not require Chemistry (around 5?). But seriously, consider taking Chemistry for a-level as you cannot afford to limit your options for such a competitive degree. If you don't enjoy Chemistry anyways, I suggest finding a different career path.
Reply 17
Original post by LoafOfBread05
A small selection of medical schools do not require Chemistry (around 5?). But seriously, consider taking Chemistry for a-level as you cannot afford to limit your options for such a competitive degree. If you don't enjoy Chemistry anyways, I suggest finding a different career path.

13 med schools do not require chemistry
Original post by GANFYD
13 med schools do not require chemistry

Im working extra hard to boost my chem as we speak. The only reason im thinking ahead is because of 6 forms and a levels , im passionate and hard working so ill see where it leads me.
Original post by GANFYD
Yep, that sounds sensible. Deal with the next hurdle in front of you and just avoid closing off any options, where possible. It is far better to get AAA+ without chem (as long as you have bio and another STEM as above) than it is to get AAB including chem.
Good luck with it all and do ask if any more questions

Honestly so helpful , im considering , bio , phycology + another , depending how year 11 goes i may switch out phycology for chem but that's my options as i stand ( maybe English or sociology as third) . I spent ages researching and as you say their are some med schools that don't require chem so its always a option so I'm not to worried at this point. I have many questions but i would be hear all day tbh 🤣

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending