The Student Room Group

Applying to UCAS as a private candidate

Can I apply to UCAS without my school as they refuse to give me a higher predicted grade for medicine. Can I get my chemistry tutor to give me predicted grades and do my reference?
Original post by Mh83
Can I apply to UCAS without my school as they refuse to give me a higher predicted grade for medicine. Can I get my chemistry tutor to give me predicted grades and do my reference?

Yes.

However, your Chemistry tutor will (well, should) want to see evidence as to the level at which you're performing across all subjects before they make any predictions.

There really is little point in them predicting grades that you have no hope of obtaining.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Yes.

However, your Chemistry tutor will (well, should) want to see evidence as to the level at which you're performing across all subjects before they make any predictions.

There really is little point in them predicting grades that you have no hope of obtaining.

Okay thank you. Do you know how this process is different compared to doing it through my college?
Original post by Mh83

Schools are not meant to just give you a grade. They are meant to give you the grade they believe you will achieve. Even if you were predicted an A grade you will still need to achieve that. How is your tutor going to be able to accurately predict your other subjects when they have no knowledge of the standard you are working at. Just using someone who will just predict what you want is not going to help you achieve the grades in actual exams and you will just end up with a rejection on results day.
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
Schools are not meant to just give you a grade. They are meant to give you the grade they believe you will achieve. Even if you were predicted an A grade you will still need to achieve that. How is your tutor going to be able to accurately predict your other subjects when they have no knowledge of the standard you are working at. Just using someone who will just predict what you want is not going to help you achieve the grades in actual exams and you will just end up with a rejection on results day.

I’ve seen people say they’d need to tutor me for a minimum amount of hours to see what level I’m working at but I don’t know how this works since I am doing 3 A levels so I’d need someone to see my level for maths (my chem tutor does both chem and bio for me). My tutor has also been tutoring me for 3+ years so they know me fairly well. In my y12 exams, which were used for my predicted grades, I underperformed due to a number of reasons and I got graded down too apparently bc of this years A level results so I know I am capable of achieving way higher (assuming also that I will improve more for my actual a level exams). My point is that I’m not worried that I won’t be able to achieve a certain grade. If I don’t get a higher predicted grade now I won’t be able to apply for medicine and if I do get predicted higher grades and don’t achieve those at a level then I won’t get in either so either way I’m not losing anything if that makes sense.
Original post by Mh83
I’ve seen people say they’d need to tutor me for a minimum amount of hours to see what level I’m working at but I don’t know how this works since I am doing 3 A levels so I’d need someone to see my level for maths (my chem tutor does both chem and bio for me). My tutor has also been tutoring me for 3+ years so they know me fairly well. In my y12 exams, which were used for my predicted grades, I underperformed due to a number of reasons and I got graded down too apparently bc of this years A level results so I know I am capable of achieving way higher (assuming also that I will improve more for my actual a level exams). My point is that I’m not worried that I won’t be able to achieve a certain grade. If I don’t get a higher predicted grade now I won’t be able to apply for medicine and if I do get predicted higher grades and don’t achieve those at a level then I won’t get in either so either way I’m not losing anything if that makes sense.

Your view is that your capable of achieving it. Your teacher believes otherwise and they have more experience than you so know what to expect.

As far as being because of this years A level results, many students who believed they would get better grades didnt do so due to changing grade boundaries. The fact is the pass and grade rates over the last 3 years have been totally false due to the excessive grades given under Teacher Assessed grades. This wont happen again. We are now back to exam grades and percentages are back at around pre 2019 levels. Your school realise this and are making predictions accordingly.

You are the last person who will know what you will achieve. You have no experience of what level is required as you cannot compare yourself to others in previous years which your teachers can.
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
Your view is that your capable of achieving it. Your teacher believes otherwise and they have more experience than you so know what to expect.

As far as being because of this years A level results, many students who believed they would get better grades didnt do so due to changing grade boundaries. The fact is the pass and grade rates over the last 3 years have been totally false due to the excessive grades given under Teacher Assessed grades. This wont happen again. We are now back to exam grades and percentages are back at around pre 2019 levels. Your school realise this and are making predictions accordingly.

You are the last person who will know what you will achieve. You have no experience of what level is required as you cannot compare yourself to others in previous years which your teachers can.

Okay thanks for your help. My original question still remains unanswered.
Original post by Mh83

Data Venia has already answered this. The problem you have is you can only have 1 reference to cover ALL your subjects. You cannot choose your tutor for Chemistry and the school for other subjects. If you apply through the school it will be their predictions not your tutor. If you apply independently and use your tutor how can they make predictions about a subject they know nothing about your abilities in and would universities wonder why it isnt being done by your school
Original post by Mh83

You asked "Can I get my chemistry tutor to give me predicted grades and do my reference?", and I answered "Yes."

You then asked, "Do you know how this process is different compared to doing it through my college?"; it not really different. You provide your Chemistry tutor's details when asked for your referee. When you submit your application, your Chemistry tutor will be sent a message asking them to add an academic reference and to change your pending grades into predicted grades. That's it. It's no more complicated than that. (I assume you've spoken to your Chemistry tutor, and they're happy to provide an academic reference? For 2024 entry, it will contain three sections, where your referee will be asked to provide a general statement about your school / setting, details of any extenuating circumstances, and any information specific to you and the course you're applying for which would be of interest to unis.)

Note that you should take extra care when completing details of your qualifications etc. as you presumably won't be relying on your Chemistry tutor to double-check this (which you school would likely have done).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending