The Student Room Group

Can you do mental health nursing if youve suffered from mental health problems

Hi I have an interview tomorrow morning with salford university and im just a bit worried. ive suffered from mental health problems bcause over a year ago i was sexualy assulted and that caused me really bad anxiety and i used to self harm.

I did go to the doctors and they referred me for counselling and gave me anti anxiety tablets. i did not go and i did not take the tablets as i overcame it. im still worried as i am hoping to mention this in my interview as id like to be honest as to why i want to go into mental health.

any advice would be appreciated

thanks
Original post by mkap
Hi I have an interview tomorrow morning with salford university and im just a bit worried. ive suffered from mental health problems bcause over a year ago i was sexualy assulted and that caused me really bad anxiety and i used to self harm.

I did go to the doctors and they referred me for counselling and gave me anti anxiety tablets. i did not go and i did not take the tablets as i overcame it. im still worried as i am hoping to mention this in my interview as id like to be honest as to why i want to go into mental health.

any advice would be appreciated

thanks

There is no need to discuss personal health issues in your interview, unless you really feel it is relevant to your rationale for choosing the course. If you do want to discuss it, you should remain factual and keep it to a minimum to avoid coming across as wanting sympathy.

You will be asked to disclose your medical history if you are offered a place. You will then be invited to an Occupational Health (OH) appointment to find out more about your history and to assess whether you are fit to undertake the course.

We have an article on the OH process and what you can expect which you may find useful:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5256758&p=76659932#post76659932
I don't see why it would stop you as long as you feel ready and well enough to complete the coursework and placements. The uni isn't going to look into your medical records, all they need to know is if you have any current physical or mental health issues that they would need to provide support with during your time with them. You don't have to disclose anything that you don't want to when it comes to your medical history. Occupational health will ask the same questions and will also ask for proof of vaccinations. When you get referred to Occupational Health, it is worth mentioning your history with mental health services just so you have some support if you need it.

Lived experience of mental health issues can be very valuable as a mental health nurse but I do agree with the other commenter, keep it to a minimum at your interview. Just telling them that your lived experience inspired you to want to be on the course would be enough.

There should be plenty of support at your uni to help you out once you get on to the course.
(edited 5 years ago)
I know this thread is a bit old, but I was told that if you have mental health issues then some universities do not accept you on their nursing or social work courses. I got told this the other day fro.someone who is studying social work
Original post by Wokeaijile
wouldnt that be like a fat persoNon trying to give a guy advice about getting in shape?

No, because someone who has suffered from depression are the people who have the better life skills to counsel others going through the same. They can teach others how to cope with it and overcome it. A bit like the "fat" person losing weight & then helping others to do the same?? Anyway to deny people places at university because of a health condition is being discriminatory on a lot of levels.
How is that helping? They could just show people what they used to eat in thst unhealthy diet, and show the healthy diet they eat now 🤔🤗🤗🤗
Hi, can I ask for an update on this? Did you get in? X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending