The Student Room Group

Terrified about Occupational Health clearance for nursing

Hi there!

Apologies in advance if this is a bit of a ramble 😅

I’ve been accepted to study Bsc Mental Health Nursing and am so excited. I’ve just received an email giving more information about the OH form and I’m so nervous that my previous mental health issues might make me fail!

I was very open about my previous issues both in my application and also my interview, but I’m so scared that they might take away my place. I suffer from anxiety and depression, I take medication each day and was referred to CMHT a couple of years back but was fully discharged last year. I’ve never been inpatient but was referred to the crisis team in 2020. I’ve always complied with my medication etc and haven’t had a medication change since last year or maybe even the year before.

Is this all likely to go against me? I’m feeling so much better and more confident now and know that I’m ready for this course. It’s something I’m so passionate about and I’d hate for my own mental health to ruin it!

Thanks so much ❤️
oh hun you got yourseld into a pickle
Original post by FinnAndBean
Hi there!

I’ve been accepted to study Bsc Mental Health Nursing and am so excited. I’ve just received an email giving more information about the OH form and I’m so nervous that my previous mental health issues might make me fail!

I was very open about my previous issues both in my application and also my interview, but I’m so scared that they might take away my place. I suffer from anxiety and depression, I take medication each day and was referred to CMHT a couple of years back but was fully discharged last year. I’ve never been inpatient but was referred to the crisis team in 2020. I’ve always complied with my medication etc and haven’t had a medication change since last year or maybe even the year before.

Is this all likely to go against me? I’m feeling so much better and more confident now and know that I’m ready for this course. It’s something I’m so passionate about and I’d hate for my own mental health to ruin it!

Thanks so much ❤️

OH isn't a thing you "fail", it's an assessment to make sure that you're not put at risk by working in the clinical environment and to make sure you don't present a risk to patients. From what you're saying heret, it sounds like your condition is well controlled and you should be fine.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by moonkatt
OH isn't a thing you "fail", it's an assessment to make sure that you're not put at risk by working in the clinical environment and to make sure you don't present a risk to patients. From what you're saying heret, it sounds like your condition is well controlled and you should be fine.

Thank you, I really hope so!
Hi there!

Thanks so much ❤️

you are overthinking and catatrophising

i've highlighted some key phrases in your original post quoted above

you don;t 'fail' Occ Health and even if your fitness to undertake a pre-reg course was in question it would not be for your history ( assuming you have been above board and honest with us and OH and i've no reason to think otherwise)
Original post by InArduisFouette
you are overthinking and catatrophising

i've highlighted some key phrases in your original post quoted above

you don;t 'fail' Occ Health and even if your fitness to undertake a pre-reg course was in question it would not be for your history ( assuming you have been above board and honest with us and OH and i've no reason to think otherwise)

I know, it’s my brain being silly 😂 Thanks so much
Reply 6
ocy health are not there to stop you. they will support you. you do need to be careful over the stress. you will get in
Hi there!

Thanks so much ❤️

I have just started my second year of nursing. During my first year last placement I had a catastrophic mental breakdown resulting in an emergency admission for 24 hours.
After accessing support and being started in medication, I returned to uni and continued my studies with no time missed.

my advice is to be totally truthful with them about your issues and where your struggles are, my experience is that they will support you and help where you need it. Also they make “reasonable adjustments due to disability”

the OH is to assess your fitness to practice - mental and physical.
you have shown that you are managing your mental health by accessing support when you needed it.

my last addition to this is that working in a hospital, the majority of the staff from band 2 - chief exec the majority of us are either medicated or receiving other support for mental health.

good luck with your studies! Youre going to be amazing
How did this go, please? In the same situ for this year’s application x
Reply 9
I started a midwifery course & I have a really bad MH history. The only thing they were worried about was my SH history - They basically said I must not have self harmed in several years (I can't remember exacly how many, but I want to say 3-5 years). Otherwise no problem at all. However I think it all varies depending on univeristy, not all unis have the same OH requirements (Some don't even ask about SH), so you're best off asking them.
(edited 11 months ago)
Hi there!

Thanks so much ❤️

Hello @FinnAndBean

I hope you’re well. Thankyou for your honesty it’s such a brave thing to share on this platform! Tbh I wouldn’t worry about it - you’ve disclosed it in your interview and you’re being honest. As long as you give them the full details, hopefully you should be fine.

It might be that the university come up with a plan with you to be able to support you during this time and it’ll be good that they’re aware, just incase you do need any help further down the line! Honestly, don’t stress about it as it seems you’ve got the correct things in place to manage your anxiety and depression :smile:

Best of luck :smile:
Jade
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Hi there!

Thanks so much ❤️

Hi. I have been a programme lead and an admissions tutor for nursing programmes and I can promise you this will not go against you. Lived experience of mental health problems is as common in nurses as in the rest of the population and can give you valuable insights and empathy in practice. You will not be at all unusual or of any concern - but withholding information is the worst mistake you could make because honesty and integrity are so integral to nursing practice. This post also shows evidence of insight and reflection which show you know that now is the right time for you - this is what you want to come across and you will be fine!!! (Best of luck with your studies)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending